• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cavemike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Have you dated it yet?
    Mine was made in 1981, 10 yrs younger then i am :)
    Just take the first 2 digits of the serial number and subtract them from 2000.
    That will give you the date of manufacture.

I also have a .22 (39-A) made in 1964 and a 30-30 made in 1976......nothing better then a good Marlin rifle!!

That only works for Marlins built before Remington took over Marlin.
    Remlins have the serial number on the side of the action with a serial number starting with MR.

Que, inspect that 1894 very carefully if it is a Remlin, there have been some serious QC issues with their firearms.

MARLIN RANT FORUM

This is a good place to spend some time.

Mike

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I have a few Malins and love them all. My .357 would not feed reliably when I got it so the shop sent it to Williams Gunsite in Michigan for warranty work. It's good to go now. That was about 18 months ago.
    I've heard of this issue but also been told it is a very simple adjustment. I think shooting 38s would require this adjustment and again when going back to .357s based on the explanation I was given.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I've heard of this issue but also been told it is a very simple adjustment. I think shooting 38s would require this adjustment and again when going back to .357s based on the explanation I was given.

My 1894 feeds fine after I fixed the marlin jam per the directions at Marauder. Homestead.com One thing however, it will not feed waddcutters and it really likes RNFP. I can load .357 & .38 randomly in the same tube with no feeding issues.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    You will do fine with it Que. The 357 is a capable deer round within it's limits. If you are hunting in places like I do, a long shot is about 50 yards. A few places I can reachout to 100 or so. Within 75 yards or so, the 357 should be as good as anything else with a little shot placement. Outside of that, it might start lacking some power. Like any gun, use it within its limits.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You will do fine with it Que. The 357 is a capable deer round within it's limits. If you are hunting in places like I do, a long shot is about 50 yards. A few places I can reachout to 100 or so. Within 75 yards or so, the 357 should be as good as anything else with a little shot placement. Outside of that, it might start lacking some power. Like any gun, use it within its limits.

If next season is anything like this past season, I will only use my rifle to aim at the pesky squirrels and blue jays, anyway. :laugh:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    If next season is anything like this past season, I will only use my rifle to aim at the pesky squirrels and blue jays, anyway. :laugh:

It just takes time.....and remembering to bring your gun hunting. It was about my 2nd or 3rd year hunting before I got my first deer. And about 9 years before I got my first buck.

jkirby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Kokomo/Bunker hill
    I've had my Marlin 1894c .357/38 for about 3 years, bought it new. it has been totally reliable and has ate any and everything i have fed to it. It's a damn fine rifle and you will love it. Shoot .38 special when your just plinking and messing around and break out the .357 mag when your ready to get serious.

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have JM Marlin 357 and I haven't taken it hunting yet, but I plan to this year. This summer I am going to work up a load using a Ranch Dog bullet that was designed specifically (sp?) for the Marlin 357. I heard about it over at the Marlin Owners forum. Lots of info over there.

Enjoy the rifle!

ridetoslide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Wait a minute! I know the op posted about .357 vs 44 and kinda wonderin if anybody regretted and changed to the 44 mag, but as I read through this thread, someone said REMINGTON took over Marlin. How did I miss that? When did this occur and are they still having quality problems. A new Marlin was on my list but may need to revise that.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    OP- there is nothing at all wrong with a 1894c. I'm totally pleased with mine and have taken deer with it no problem. Mine didn't particular like the Hornady leverevolution stuff, but I handload and developed a load that gives me a little over a minute.

Overall, I've got a good news and bad news for you though. The good news is that you shouldn't sweat the 357 vs 44 comparison. The bad news is that you shouldn't sweat the 357 vs 44 deal beacause you'll end up with a 1894 in 44 anyway. This will be followed by a 39a and then any other Marlins you see. They're addictive.

One word I can help you with is that you should be sure to stay with Ruger revolvers or Taurus or something. If you get a Smith to match the 1894c, this opens up a whole new addiction.

:D

@ridetoslide- I'm not sure when Remington bought out Marlin but I think it was last year. I don't know how newly manufactured rifles are doing, but I think you are wise to reconsider buying new unless you can find them from the old stock. :twocents:

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    I have a Winchester .357, its a blast . I can hit the 100 yard steel at the range all day long with open sights. Would not hesitate at all to take it hunting. Just need to respect anatomy and distance. Every deer I have killed in the last 5 years has been under 50 yards so it works well for me.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    That is on my list of rifles for hunting. I like the .357 and have a S&W revolver with a 6" barrel that I love so having a matched set like the wild wild west would be sweet for me. I have found that taking a .357 is a very good whitetail round. Congrats on your purchase by the way.

Top Bottom