Marlin Camp Carbine (45acp)... can you look at your bolt face?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FordBronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Hartsville
    Anybody else have a Marlin Camp Carbine in .45ACP for comparison? (or even in 9mm?) Can you take a look at the bolt face and compare it to mine in the pictures below.

Here is an up close look at the bolt face. The bulge in the fired primer seems to be created from the champfer in the bolt face around the firing pin.

picture.php

These are factory Winchester 230gr ball cases, unloaded by the Marlin. It looks (to me) that the primers are getting fire formed to the chamfer in the bolt face.

picture.php

Anybody got another Marlin Camp carbine in .45acp for comparison? I picked this one up used and do not know if someone has "worked on it" in the past of it Marlin just made them this way (although I do not know why they would have). (... and No, it is not for sale!)

Last edited:

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Mine doesn't have the chamfer around the firing pin hole & the primers do not distort.

FordBronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Hartsville
    Thanks for the responses. I had been looking around every time I was in a gun shop to see if there was another camp carbine on the rack, but I do not see too many around here. So, I was suspicious that the cut around my firing pin on the bolt face was "non-standard" and you guys have confirmed it for me.

Guess I will see about getting another bolt on order and take care of the issue. Not sure why someone made the cut in the first place - but that was done before I owned the rifle. Hopefully a new bolt will not set me back too much.

Thanks again for the responses. I will post what I find out about a replacement bolt.

FordBronco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Hartsville
    Yes, I look forward to shooting it more after getting this little issue fixed.

Have a big stack of 1911 mags loaded up for the pistol... nice to be able to run the same mags through the rifle too.

Top Bottom