• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Chandler,In
    I have a old Marlin 39 that I traded for a couple years ago. I believe it was made in the 50's. It is drilled for a Lyman type peep sight. I am pondering putting some new wood on it and getting it blued. Doll her up a little. Has anyone rewooded their old 39? Looking for pics and places to get the wood. Thanks. Netman

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    Unless its just for personal preference I would leave it alone it is probably worth more money in its original condition. By all means clean it up to make it look good but most of the time people do more harm than good when it comes to antique firearms .

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    You can determine what the age of the gun is by the serial number. If its after 1973 subtract the first two numbers of the serial number from 100 and you will get the date of manufacture. Is it a pre safety? Does it have a G in the serial? If so it is 1950.

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Unless its just for personal preference I would leave it alone it is probably worth more money in its original condition. By all means clean it up to make it look good but most of the time people do more harm than good when it comes to antique firearms .

These is a common mistake.unless it has a serial number 1 restoring this gun can't hurt the value unless it is a really bad job. With "antiques" there are 2 kinds shooters and collectors. A marlin is typically a shooter but there are exceptions. As far as replacement wood you will probally have to contact a competent gunsmith that works in restoration and find out who makes their replacement wood.midwayusa and brownells have some but I think it is only a few models I don't recall any marlin stocks but worth a shot. Good luck to you

netman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Chandler,In
    Thanks for the link. I like the mountie however I have the curved lever and not looking to change that. I do like the checkered stocks. My stock is thick all over and looking to slim her down. I have a Browning BL 22 that I have had since I was in grade school. Even though I have big hands I like the feel of a thinner butt stock and forearm.
    I did the serial number research when I got the rifle and don't remember the exact year but was in the fiftys.
    Its not in bad shape just showing her age.

Top Bottom