• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bgyfz450

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Evansville,in
    Does anyone know why the marlin 1894 44 mag is so hard to find right now? I can't one anywhere. I tried to find out why and couldn't find nothing. I hope they don't discontinue this gun. I plan on buying one in February for a wild boar trip and then using it for deer next november.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    You can find them on places like Gunbroker and then have you local gun shop handle the transfer. Most places charge between $20-$30 for the transfer fee. Be prepared to pay though as they are not cheap, they are on the average of $650-$800. I think the reason they are bringing a premium around here and being scarce is because of them being allowed in Indiana for deer hunting. In my opinion they are a fantastic white tail rifle.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I havent checked the sources of this but I know I have heard it quite a few times. I have been told that since Remington purchase Marlin they are going to stop production of all lever actions. I think its a pretty dumb thing to do, but it wouldnt suprise me. I have also heard this in the past so dont get to worked up about it.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    The reason they are hard to find and asking prices are high is because production is on hold until after the first of the year.Remington bought Marlin and closed the Conn. plant down in late 2009' and let everyone go.Ever since then they have had quality issues and have ceased production to get their s**t together.I could go on and on about many problems they have now but it makes me sick how Remington ruined Marlin.Any info you have ever wanted on Marlins can be found at marlinowners.com.I love the forum and the people are great.

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    When they made them legal to hunt with in Indy the demand went way up , why sit behind a slug gun when you can hold more rounds in a lighter more accurate rifle ..

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I am pretty sure that Guntown on 30 just west of Plymouth had a couple the last time I was in there a few weeks ago.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    IF big Rem decides to keep the lever guns (i think they will) it's going to be about five years before they get their staff up to speed and turning out quality product again.

Marlin recently announced they were pausing production on 20 different lever gun SKU's because they weren't able to keep up with demand. The reality was, they've had so many sent back to the factory for rework, they couldn't keep up production. They chose to keep manufacturing the SKU's that were least problematic.

I feel bad that all of that Connecticut talent was lost. I can only hope that a few of the folks who remington cut loose will gamble it all and start a new levergun company.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    IF big Rem decides to keep the lever guns (i think they will) it's going to be about five years before they get their staff up to speed and turning out quality product again.

Marlin recently announced they were pausing production on 20 different lever gun SKU's because they weren't able to keep up with demand. The reality was, they've had so many sent back to the factory for rework, they couldn't keep up production. They chose to keep manufacturing the SKU's that were least problematic.

I feel bad that all of that Connecticut talent was lost. I can only hope that a few of the folks who remington cut loose will gamble it all and start a new levergun company.
    The old Bushmaster guys did this. The new Windham Weaponry AR15s are way better than than Bushmasters now.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    For those close enough or those willing to pay shipping, Whittakers has a used blue/wood Marlin 1894 in .44 mag with peep sights listed for $359.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    They're so hard to find right now because a lot of people bought them 2 months ago to be prepared for deer season. They're the only lever 44 mag that comes drilled and tapped for a scope.

But, since Remington bought them their QC has gone down hill and a decent amount of the lever guns had to be sent back (some were tearing up casings, others had timing issues, some were scratched all to hell from the factory, etc. ) so Marlin has to fix the "new" ones before they make any more.

Perosnally, I'd go with the Ruger 77-44. They're a lot lighter, come with medium rings, plus they're a Ruger, if you ever have an issue they will take care of you in a timely matter. I guy I work with had to send his Marlin 41 mag because the barrel was crap, they had it for a year and a half, got it back, and he still can't get sub 4" groups at 50 yards.

Marlin has gone down hill IMO.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Marlin recently announced they were pausing production on 20 different lever gun SKU's because they weren't able to keep up with demand. They chose to keep manufacturing the SKU's that were least problematic.

In reality they are producing the most profitable SKU numbers.

The 336aw, the 336 youth, and the 336cs. The ones that every wall mart and big box store has a couple of on the shelves.

They are low cost but higher profit than the more complicated 1894 or 39a actions. These SKU's are also all in 30-30. So you can get a plastic looking wood stocked gun anyway you want as long as i is a 30-30 in 18 or 20 inch barrel.

I wish i could start a lever action rifle company. No wonder the Henry rifles are selling well.

I have marlins with JM in a circle on the barrel. I think i can keep it that way after all they were a very popular seller.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Over the summer I talked with Marlin's customer service folks many times, and eventually talked to someone competent and helpful. I am not vouching for the accuracy of what I was told, but I got the story that Marlin's new factory couldn't keep up with the demand for any of their lever rifles (due to reserves having been sold out and the time it took to get the new factory up and running with satisfactory QC), so was running a series of short production runs of each model in turn. I was also told that the vast majority of the quality issues being returned were from the last months of the previous factory's operation, as folks there were supposedly given notice a few weeks to a few months in advance that their jobs were going bye-bye.
    Again, NOT vouching for the accuracy of the above, but it's what I got straight from Marlin's customer service folks.

I ended up with a newly made 1894 stainless in 44 that is flawless in manufacture and performance. :twocents:

Top Bottom