Marine with PTSD suing over Harley Davidson purchase.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I don't want to go into much detail but PTSD does some really messed up things to a person and it's not just a set list of symptoms every person that has it will do or go through. It's difficult to empathize for something most people either see as a 'crazy wacked out' mental illness or as some refer to it as 'the lazy persons' illness.

Schizophrenics walk the streets everyday going about their jobs, while others truly are the 'crazy wacked out' variety that need serious attention.

I wasn't there at the dealership listening to every word or experiencing every situational cue each one exchanged to be able to construe whether the Marine really was taken advantage of or not, so I can't know. You can't just go with your gut reaction and start talking about the US and THEM in regards to disabilities such as PTSD. There's still A LOT of grey area in it's research, but these guys are human just as you or I.

The first thing that jumped out at me is just a nit picky one and that's when the article mentions he was 'special forces'. Special forces is in the Army. The Marines have special ops capable units such as Recon, Force Recon or F.A.S.T. and probably some new ones I'm not aware of but not 'special forces'. The unit I was in achieved a special ops capable rating a few years after I joined it, but we weren't considered special forces.

OK, nitpicky rant over.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    YES, this is what I thought..... I believe, here in In., you cannot buy a car, w/o a license, so WTH ?????

Ain' sure 'bout that........but any HD dealership I ever been into......they will NOT release 'at bike without proper Ins coverage......an' like I said earlier .....won't let YOU ride it off the lot without 'least 1 or the other 2......M endorsment......or learner permit

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Ain' sure 'bout that........but any HD dealership I ever been into......they will NOT release 'at bike without proper Ins coverage......an' like I said earlier .....won't let YOU ride it off the lot without 'least 1 or the other 2......M endorsment......or learner permit

I know of 2 north of Indy that let people buy and leave without a permit or endorsement. I know one of them bought a new bike and rode it home while his license was suspended for a DUI. I don't think he had his endorsement when he bought the new bike before that one either, didn't think it was really needed even though he'd be riding on the street 10-12 years at that point.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I know of 2 north of Indy that let people buy and leave without a permit or endorsement. I know one of them bought a new bike and rode it home while his license was suspended for a DUI. I don't think he had his endorsement when he bought the new bike before that one either, didn't think it was really needed even though he'd be riding on the street 10-12 years at that point.

HD dealer(s)?......:dunno:.........pay CASH for'it?........:dunno:........they GONNA make sure they property protect'd a'fore it leaves (financed )........an' 30 yr ago.......did'n need a 'endorsment'........D/L let'cha operate a M-cycle on same......an' when they changed the law........could go 'head an' have put 'M' add'd on D/L if ya done it within certain timeframe,without the written and road test.......

Ya won' ride 1 off lot 'roun d here (Louisville, Bluegrass,etc) without the endorsment, or permit.....an' Ins coverage.....

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    This was in the last 5 years that he bought his second. One before that, he paid cash. Yep, HD dealers. He wasn't working and hadn't been when he bought the 2nd (Street Glide). He might have conned one of his female friends to put her name on it but I doubt it because he still has it and she wasn't around 6 months after he got the bike.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I don't want to go into much detail but PTSD does some really messed up things to a person and it's not just a set list of symptoms every person that has it will do or go through. It's difficult to empathize for something most people either see as a 'crazy wacked out' mental illness or as some refer to it as 'the lazy persons' illness.

Schizophrenics walk the streets everyday going about their jobs, while others truly are the 'crazy wacked out' variety that need serious attention.

I wasn't there at the dealership listening to every word or experiencing every situational cue each one exchanged to be able to construe whether the Marine really was taken advantage of or not, so I can't know. You can't just go with your gut reaction and start talking about the US and THEM in regards to disabilities such as PTSD. There's still A LOT of grey area in it's research, but these guys are human just as you or I.

The first thing that jumped out at me is just a nit picky one and that's when the article mentions he was 'special forces'. Special forces is in the Army. The Marines have special ops capable units such as Recon, Force Recon or F.A.S.T. and probably some new ones I'm not aware of but not 'special forces'. The unit I was in achieved a special ops capable rating a few years after I joined it, but we weren't considered special forces.

OK, nitpicky rant over.
    Marines have SF as well. Recon has returned, but more so they now have MARSOC (and have for a number of years) which operates under SOCOM just as the SEALs. Different missions and responsibilities, but orders coming from the same place.

PTSD is (or at least can be/likely is) a separate issue from his head trauma. Head trauma deals with his nervous system whereas PTSD is psychological/emotional.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    FWIW, I bought my last Harley in '07 I think, new without the "magical M"

I have a hard time believing anything in Cali would be as relaxed as it is here, but then again their riding laws are so...:dunno:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    FWIW, I bought my last Harley in '07 I think, new without the "magical M"

I have a hard time believing anything in Cali would be as relaxed as it is here, but then again their riding laws are so...:dunno:

heck, you can ride up the lane dividers between vehicles legally, so who knows. That is the craziest thing. I really wanted to squeeze the lane shut but I researched it in the car and saw it was legal. Unreal.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    heck, you can ride up the lane dividers between vehicles legally, so who knows. That is the craziest thing. I really wanted to squeeze the lane shut but I researched it in the car and saw it was legal. Unreal.

I know. I thought the same thing when I first saw that out there. That state is bass ackwards. Things that are relatively safe are outlawed (gun owners) and things which are dangerous are welcomed (riding bikes in between traffic.)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I know. I thought the same thing when I first saw that out there. That state is bass ackwards. Things that are relatively safe are outlawed (gun owners) and things which are dangerous are welcomed (riding bikes in between traffic.)

And in Colorado mags > 15 rounds are banned due to school shootings yet they legalize marijuana to tax it to build schools where they teach kids the evils of drugs :dunno:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    He walked in wanting a Harley, they sold him one, see it every time I'm in my local H-D dealer. He decides later he doesn't want it, that's fine, then sell it if they won't take it back.

I had buyers remorse with my Wide Glide (I don't have PTSD) but I got over it and now I can't get enough riding in and love every minute of it. That was 2 years ago. I never wanted to sue H-D Motor Co., the dealer, anybody.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    He walked in wanting a Harley, they sold him one, see it every time I'm in my local H-D dealer. He decides later he doesn't want it, that's fine, then sell it if they won't take it back.

I had buyers remorse with my Wide Glide (I don't have PTSD) but I got over it and now I can't get enough riding in and love every minute of it. That was 2 years ago. I never wanted to sue H-D Motor Co., the dealer, anybody.

:ugh: Again, I don't think people are realizing there are two separate issues here.

The Marines sustained severe head trauma. This has a neurological affect more often than not. This has the potential to affect their ability to do pretty much anything which requires use of the brain....which is everything.

The Marine ALSO has PTSD which is a psychological/emotional response to dealing with stress.

Although we know relatively little about either, they are not one in the same. A person with head trauma could be reverted back to the mental capacity of an infant for example (incapable of rational thought) whereas PTSD can still think logically, albeit emotionally affected.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've seen PTSD and support my troops 200% so on one hand,I can sympathize.However,I can't find fault with the dealership for simply making a sale.This seems like a baseless lawsuit but it would be nice to see a peaceful and mutually satisfying solution.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    This seems like a simple case. Choosing to buy a Harley-Davidson is prima facie evidence that he is not mentally fit to enter into a contract.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    And in Colorado mags > 15 rounds are banned due to school shootings yet they legalize marijuana to tax it to build schools where they teach kids the evils of drugs :dunno:

methamphetamine
    • heroin
    • marijuana

One of these things ain't like the others.

I'm with you on the mag ban though.

edit: Oops, double post. Apologies.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    One thing that stuck out with me in the article is that he was taking multiple xanax at the dealer. If the salesman knew or was told by the marine what he was taking I dont see how he could let this guy sign papers. They probably had no idea that he was taking it though. I see both sides and would like to see the dealership at least help this guy sell the bike on consignment or something. I dont think everything is so black and white that special circumstances cant be looked at for what they are and a solution found without suing.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    One thing that stuck out with me in the article is that he was taking multiple xanax at the dealer. If the salesman knew or was told by the marine what he was taking I dont see how he could let this guy sign papers. They probably had no idea that he was taking it though. I see both sides and would like to see the dealership at least help this guy sell the bike on consignment or something. I dont think everything is so black and white that special circumstances cant be looked at for what they are and a solution found without suing.

How many motorcycle salesmen do you know with a medical degree? Do they normally keep the "Physician's Desk Reference" at the dealership? The family is oh-so concerned now...cause he spent money. Where were they when he was awake for 5 days and then left the house in this claimed state of mind? Does everyone have a responsibility to look out for this guy...an adult EXCEPT those closest to him?

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    This whole situation stinks of somebody doing something that they later regret and now they are not willing to take responsibility for their actions. Now what, we are going to need a background check to buy a freakin motorcycle?
    I support the military too, but if you have issues that may affect your judgement in making a purchase, maybe you should leave your wallet/checkbook/credit cards at home and then you will not have this problem.
    My grandfather had PTSD from WWII and being in Japan. I saw him collapse at Disneyland as it was the first time he had seen a Japanese guy since the war. He drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney. Beyond that, he was a regular guy. He handled himself accordingly.

Top Bottom