• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't get the beef against the Serpa. I've read where some "trainers" do not allow them. Many also sell or endorse a competing brand. From personal experience over the past 2 years, mine has had ZERO issues. I've put my M&P into it (unloaded) and tried every conceivable way to create a dry-fire misfire. I cannot do it. Via training I can reliably pull the gun out of the holster and my finger is nowhere near the trigger.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    What I've heard is that, in some drills in which the pistol is placed in the Serpa backwards (i.e. for weak-hand draw from strong-side holster) the weapon is locked in and cannot be extracted without disassembling the holster. This is the reason that the Serpa is apparently not liked by some instructors.

I have also read about two incidents in which young officers, during live fire training, have had NDs (one resulting in a gunshot wound) due to improper depression of the release button resulting in the trigger finger entering the guard and depressing the trigger negligently.

Train to keep your finger straight to rest on the frame and the latter shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: read a bit further in the article...I see they covered the trigger-hooking bit.

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    I use them with all my pistols and have thousands of draws both practice and live fire never even come close to having my finger on the trigger. I think it might be a case of a few bad apples.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have used several kinds of the Serpa during the last 4 years of my part time security work. Never had any trouble during the several times I had to pull my gun (VERY stressful).

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I love my serpa holster.

Does anyone else think it is a little ironic that they are calling the holster dangerous? The holster does not fire a projectile. This seems to be more a matter of training and muscle memory to me. I often find humor when the media get hold of a piece of military information and blow up about how dangerous something is. I guess they forget that two of the primary functions of the military is to kill people and break things. This normally involves dangerous tools.

AKg20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    up yonder
    I've wondered about these criticisms of the Serpa, instead of trying to twist the holster off (and you are going to stand there and let him of course) why don't they just push the button and pull the gun out? Either way they are in for a fight.
    Semper Fi

AKg20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    up yonder
    I've wondered about these critisims of the Serpa, instead of trying to twist the holster off (and you are going to stand there and let him of course) whey don't they just push the button and pull the gun out? Either way they are in for a fight.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Train to keep your finger straight to rest on the frame and the latter shouldn't be an issue.

Exactly! The main reason the Marine Corps isn't having the "dangerous" problem is because one of their rules is, "Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire."

Seems like common sense plays a huge role when it comes to this holster! Maybe the press should question the user more than the holster itself? :dunno:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    i never saw any wrong with the nylon ones they gave us ...but like they told us if you dont care much for it just buy one you like more... I used some spec ops leg rig(thumb brake) while i was oversea's but after while of using it i went right back to the nylon one they gave us

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    i never saw any wrong with the nylon ones they gave us ...but like they told us if you dont care much for it just buy one you like more... I used some spec ops leg rig(thumb brake) while i was oversea's but after while of using it i went right back to the nylon one they gave us

the thumb brake safarilands are pretty much what every Marine I ever knew bought..spec-ops, infantry, etc...majority was all safariland......I preferred them too.....finger and moving parts are nowhere near the trigger but still has a locking mechanism and quick/easy gripping access.....most were thigh rigs...but for civilian purposes it would sort of stand out

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    I have used several kinds of the Serpa during the last 4 years of my part time security work. Never had any trouble during the several times I had to pull my gun (VERY stressful).

How many times is several for a part time security guard in Mishawaka to draw his gun under stress in a 4 year period?

Top Bottom