• Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Saying goodbye to man’s best friend is quite possibly the worse
    feeling in the world. This dog has been through everything with me and
    I hate to see her go knowing she will most definitely be put to sleep.
    I rescued her from an under kept animal shelter nearly 8 years ago.
    She was among 8 other black lab puppies kept in a very small un-air conditioned kennel with only one small food and water bowl. She was suffering from Parvo and required extensive treatment but in the end pulled through like a champ and me with a hole in my pocket due to the $1200 it cost to keep her alive. She was by my side through my dad’s death, my entire military career, and my divorce. It was honestly the true meaning of “Man’s Best Friend”.

Ever since she was a puppy she had food aggression and I have tried
    and tried to ease her of it with no success. She always barked at
    other people and other dogs but never showed any type of real aggression until about a month ago when her and my girlfriend's dog got into it. Lately she has shown more and more aggression toward all of us and then this morning decided to jump up and lunge toward our neighbor. Luckily all she got was his coat and there was no real harm done. I think for the most part she was startled when he walked through the door. We figured it's time to give her up before something "bad" happened, especially with a 3 year old running around the house.

According to the vet some dogs have a chemical imbalance and a lot of the times it cannot be treated. She agreed this was the best outcome. She will be missed.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I'm so sorry. I'm glad you had her for the times you needed her and that you were there for her when she needed you. That is what REALLY matters.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Sounds like my old Black lab but mine only made it to 5 and I lost her a few months ago I feel your pain . . . . . . I miss my big dumb slobbery puppy

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    You have my condolances and prayers. It is a tough thing to sometimes do the right thing, especially when you don't want to. You and your buddy will be together again one day.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    While no words are comforting during this time, anyone who has made this decision or has lost a pet can relate to your circumstance and feels for you and your family.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Sorry man, it's always hard losing a good dog.

Is it more than just food aggression?

Is there not anything you can do? I mean, like putting her food in a different room or outside while she's eating and then take her bowls away?

That is quite weird that she's aggressive toward the alpha in the house. That's almost unheard of.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    I feel for you, I had to do the same thing a month ago with my dog for the same reasons. It was tough, not the same coming home to no Brutus!

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Thoughts are with you. I'm sorry for your situation. As I have posted here before I would be lost without mine.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    sorry about that man. tough situation but honestly a dog with problems could be suffering and not even show it. although the pup has been to hell and back with you and im sure it will never be forgotten!

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so that they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His/her bright eyes are intent; their eager body quivers. Suddenly they begin to run from the group, flying over the green grass, their legs carrying them faster and faster.

You have been spotted! And when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your friend, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.....and live happily ever after. Together at last, forever and always.

With sincere love, and tears in my eyes.
    7th Stepper

This one hit a little close to home. We lost Bills GS/Malamute to this, and also this way. Parvo is a very nasty disease and a lot of times when the dog gets older, personality changes can show up that have been dormant, but are left overs from having this disease. Ours developed a brain tumor and that was the root of her personality change. It almost killed Bill when we had to have her put down, and we were there holding her till the last second as she closed her sweet eyes and crossed over.

Bill carried her collar in his pocket for months, unable to part with that last tiny bit of her that he had left. We've since been joined by a new family member, who's love and devotion to Bill are as great and as strong as hers were, but it's never the same. And we'll go thru the same thing when it comes his time to cross over as well. We've lost many family members this way, as ours aren't "pets", but full fledged members of the family, and we grieve for them as we would for any human member who left us when it was their time, or worse yet, before their time.

In time you may find another special friend, who'll make their own mark on your heart, but the spot left behind by this one can never be filled, just healed over by time and love. We have a slew of them waiting for us, as we've had animals for many many years, of all sizes shapes and kinds. Each one leaves their own special mark and memories, and we'll never forget them, no matter how many more we get.

If/when you decide to share your love with a new friend, the way you got the one you're losing is the best way to go. ALL animals deserve love, and it's the lost, abandoned or mistreated ones that need love the most. We've always gotten ours that way, and we've never been sorry. If you ever need help in training or want any advice, please feel free to ask either Kitty or myself to help. I can speak for her in this matter, she's a licensed trainer as well as a very close friend of mine. I trained for many years before we moved to Indiana. And I've trained all the dogs we've had since moving here, and regardless of the size, shape or breed, we've loved and cherished them all, and have been loved and cherished right back, with all their unconditional love, affection, and loyalty. Something you won't find anywhere else, or find greater, except maybe from your children.

Our animal friends goal in life is to love and please us, please let one sometime in the future do that for you. There is always an abundance of love, and you won't be disrespecting the one you have now, by sharing that love again with one in the future. It's one thing that no one ever runs out of, love is eternal, unconditional and knows no limits.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom