MAN, I've been Jones'ing for another .308 lately...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I sold off my commercial M1a's last year in an effort to drop calibers. You always do stuff and make decisions that, at the moment, make perfect sense for the time in which you live. Or you don't make that good decision and end up with that 'other chick' the morning after...:nono:

I've been really wanting a true-to-the-bone GI M-14 lately. If anything, just to buy some good match ammo for it and start plinking at 200, 500 again.

Even though I have really enjoyed the 5.56 caliber, there is, once one has tasted the thrump and clack of an M1A, still that desire for a real battle cartridge...

sigh...

Anyone else starting to lust after the stuff you trimmed off last year during the strange times?

Hook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Romney
    Sometimes I wish I had invested in the Springfield SOCOM. I've put all my $$ in AR's. I would have to have a "liquidation" sale, then TRY to find ammo for it.
    Oh well, I guess I can still dream.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Look for an older M1A it will have many GI parts...

I would also recommend an FAL from DSA.

I remember you posting pics of yours, and your range time. I'd love to shoot one just to see if I would actually enjoy owning, ranging it.

Are the sights something of quality that allows use? Can you mount optics well?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Robinson Amrament is promising a .308 soon.....................................................
    Plus the new HK is coming soon. The SCAR Heavy is promised but I won't hold my breath.
    And we wait.

I miss a few of the handguns I sold off. I haven't replaced most of the things I sold and now my safe looks empty. Oh well. I get to buy something at Indy in a couple of weeks. That should be fun!

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I just bought an M!A off this board a month or so ago. Haven't gotten to hit the range yet, but have the ammo and looking forward to it. I used to shoot my Dad's 03 Springfield all the time when I was a kid and there is just something about a bigger cartridge that let's you know you really are shooting something when it goes bang.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Robinson Amrament is promising a .308 soon.....................................................
    Plus the new HK is coming soon. The SCAR Heavy is promised but I won't hold my breath.
    And we wait.

I miss a few of the handguns I sold off. I haven't replaced most of the things I sold and now my safe looks empty. Oh well. I get to buy something at Indy in a couple of weeks. That should be fun!

I don't know that I am going to hold my breath either... buying a .308 again means different mags, ammo, belt equipment...

THE HUMANITY!!!! :):

One GOOD thing about RA XCR .308, it will be able to use Magpul's SR25 MAGAZINE!!! :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Not an M1A or M14 but I got to shoot my DPMS LR-308-AP4 last weekend for the first time. Very sweet. I really like this rifle.

dpms.jpg

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I remember you posting pics of yours, and your range time. I'd love to shoot one just to see if I would actually enjoy owning, ranging it.

Are the sights something of quality that allows use? Can you mount optics well?

I usually go shoot about every weekend locally.

If you want to make the drive over you are more than welcome to come along and shoot my FAL.

Sights are nice in my opinion. Almost on par with M1/M14 style sights.
    Mounting optics reliably is easier with the FAL since the top cover slides on and off and you simply slide on a new railed top cover. The cover track is very tight (not loose like an AK).

As another poster noted the AR .308 platform is nice.

7mmRM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Celestine , IN
    Another vote for an AR10 type rifle. I have a very sweet 5 digit SA M1A that is loaded with GI parts. Its a fun rifle, but like the AR10 types better.
    PDOG09117.jpg

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Actually I have really increased the number of calibers in the last few years. (I think I'm at 24)

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I ditched the .223 AR in favor of a .308 rifle. I started wanting the M1A, Socom, AR10 and the PTR91 but ended up learning about the FAL. I sometimes miss the AR but I love the feel of my MBR.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i still got my 223's but i had to get one of the ar10's. i went for a pof w/ a 20in mike rock barrel and put a premier on it . its my new baby. a bit heavy but i don't plan on running around w/ it either. its also now wearing a mike rock bipod

DSCN0328.jpg

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    i still got my 223's but i had to get one of the ar10's. i went for a pof w/ a 20in mike rock barrel and put a premier on it . its my new baby. a bit heavy but i don't plan on running around w/ it either. its also now wearing a mike rock bipod

DSCN0328.jpg

I'm impressed, and not much impresses me these days. There ain't a rifle on this site that has impressed me so far, not even the class III stuff.

That POF, ..... THAT is a rifle.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

DSCN0328.jpg

What kind of groups can you get with that?

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I am with Yamaha!!! Got 3 of them and a SOCOM-16 that the wife dearly loves shooting....nothing like MORE POWER!!!

Top Bottom