• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    I just don't go where they don't like my guns. You don't like my guns, you don't like me. You don't like me, my money does not like you. Period.

Also when I'm staying in a hotel/motel for more than one night, the "Do not disturb" goes on the door when I'm gone. I have never had housekeeping come in when I've used the sign.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You might want to rethink that one. Think guy with the bird.

I agree with Thumper, regardless of local laws, and Mass has plenty, the guy seems oblivious to them being stolen by the staff.

You're absolutely right. It was Baretta. My bad! :ugh:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It sounds like he's up a creek without a paddle. They made sure to note ".40-caliber Smith & Wesson with a laser sight." It's good that his job gives him the tie to the community the story said he didn't have. I guess they would use that "laser sight" to mark him as a hit man or something.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm heading down to Georgia for a couple of days this week and am wanting to take something along for protection (think handgun) but will be at Ft. Benning during the day. That means I cannot carry it or even have it in the car when on base. I have a lock box with cable that I've been thinking about using along with the DND sign on the door, but I really am uncomfortable leaving the gun in the hotel while I'm out. I've thought of locking it in the lockbox and putting it into the hotel safe while out as the lockbox looks like it could hold anything, including jewelry. It's about the size of a large paperback book. Good idea or bad?

RomanDad

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Orange County CA
    That's going to be an unconstitutional Law under Heller and McDonald.

You have a right to possess a firearm in your home (Heller). That law applies to States and Municipalities (McDonald). The Courts have long recognized that a Hotel room, is a defacto home for the purposes of the Constitution.

My guess would be, that if he isnt legally barred from owning and possessing a gun in his home state (IN) he is good to go.

Last edited:

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    That's going to be an unconstitutional Law under Heller and McDonald.

You have a right to possess a firearm in your home (Heller). That law applies to States and Municipalities (McDonald). The Courts have long recognized that a Hotel room, is a defacto home for the purposes of the Constitution.

My guess would be, that if he isnt legally barred from owning and possessing a gun in his home state (IN) he is good to go.

This is what I had always thought and led to believe
    Same as a Motorhome
    when you are driving you are a M/vehicle when you are stoped you are in your place of residence

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I'm heading down to Georgia for a couple of days this week and am wanting to take something along for protection (think handgun) but will be at Ft. Benning during the day. That means I cannot carry it or even have it in the car when on base. I have a lock box with cable that I've been thinking about using along with the DND sign on the door, but I really am uncomfortable leaving the gun in the hotel while I'm out. I've thought of locking it in the lockbox and putting it into the hotel safe while out as the lockbox looks like it could hold anything, including jewelry. It's about the size of a large paperback book. Good idea or bad?

when you check in request a room with a safe, or ask about a safety deposit box.. almost every hotel is required to have one..

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I think this is a place where one could make a 2nd amendment argument. If a law prohibits you from exercising your right to self-defense in the home, even if it's only a temporary "home away from home," I'd imagine that the precedents would fit quite nicely to this scenario.

I've often wondered this myself , I travel on a regular basis , and if I stay in a motel , isn't it basically me paying rent for that room ?
    not that it matters to me , everywhere I travel is legal for me to have a gun , just food for thought.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I believe the guy could be in some trouble in MA. While a hotel room is treated as his home, the rpoblem is that in MA, he is probably not allowed to own a handgun. MA does not recognize the IN permit IIRC, and it would appear to me that he is not jsut travelling thourgh MA as part of a continuous journey.

A friend of mine had a similar problem arise in MA. he had been out east deer hunting in PA and went on to visit a relative in MA. Parked at a motel and went to the room to take a nap before he unloaded hsi vehicle. Somebody broke into it and stole a rifle, handgun and knife that he ahd along with some other personal property. Wehn eh reproted the thefts to the police, they tried to give him a hard itme about it. Luckily, common sense, and Federal law, prevailed. but the guns were still gone...

Top Bottom