• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    YES !!!! Thats my kind of fishing...8' 5 " long an 48" around....I've seen them fishing for them on tv long time ago...used big triple hooks with fish on them...they would wait for the fish to swallow it then set the hook.....I use to spear gar, got some about 3' long....can't imagine seeing one over 8'...

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    gator gar arent dangerous fish until you get them in the boat, if you jump in the water with them they wont come anywhere near you.

the skinny fish in the middle next to the sting rays are some little gator gars from my bowfishing trip down south of new orleans in a small town called lafitte they were some good eatin

155849_1473857855033_1491291442_991547_7190010_n.jpg

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    gator gar arent dangerous fish until you get them in the boat, if you jump in the water with them they wont come anywhere near you.

Maybe not. but when you're paddling a kayak across Hovey lake and 4'-5' paddlefish start leaping into the air right in front of you, it is a little unsettling.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Maybe not. but when you're paddling a kayak across Hovey lake and 4'-5' paddlefish start leaping into the air right in front of you, it is a little unsettling.

ohhhh you sissy :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

gator gars dont jump like paddle fish. what they do is called rolling and thats when they come up and get a gulp of air kinda like how a carp sucks air when the oxygen is low in the water. i would love to shoot in hovey lake i hear there are some big carp down there

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Yep, me and the 6'5" former Marine paddling with me who yelled "Holy Sh**, What the H**l was that!" :D

i have a friend that likes scuba diving and he said in some lakes its not uncommon for large paddle fish to come up and bump you. he said its nerve racking at first but after the first couple of times you get used to it

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I had a gar in a tank i made until he was 32inches then he was to big for my tank and i called the indpls zoo and they took him off my hands i have only caught a few in open water but no monsters like that one even if netted thats a big gar congrats and couldnt imagine bringin it in on a rod wow

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    here are a couple of my guys on my bowfishing forum

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMdPmnoR7dw]YouTube - Alligator Gar Fishing Rod and Reel Part Two"Gar Tubeing"[/ame]

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom