Man admits to baiting. What would you have done?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I ran into town after hunting the other night, so I was still in my camos. When I stopped at a gas station I had a fellow strike up a conversation with me about his season so far. He complained that after shooting three does (with an arrow) his area seemed to have gone dry. He said he didn't understand why because he was keeping his feeder full.
    At that point I said good night and walked away.
    When I told my wife, who also hunts, the conversation I just had, she said I should have explained that baiting deer was illegal in Indiana.

What at would you have done? Explain the laws to a stranger, take down his car tag to turn him in, or just mind your own business.

I can see with all the baiting products so readily available that newbies would get the idea it was allowed. But I also think folks should become familiar with regulations before hunting.

What at do you think?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You were at a gas station, is it worth dying over?

Sure odds are 99.99% he is a peace loving guy who is just ignorant of the laws. If he is not, he has the balls to tell a complete stranger in a gas station he breaks hunting regs. Do you really want to inject yourself into that guys life in a negative way as a witness for the prosecution? Over a bucket of corn.

I follow the laws. I deal with crap when it happens to or around me. This is why I pay at the pump and rarely go inside gas stations, they are crap magnets.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have mixed feelings about it. As hard as I hunt (playing by the rules) I don't always fill my tags. It pisses me off to see people breaking the fish and game laws as it does have an impact to those competing for the same food. I'd have probably told him that was BS and based the rest of the conversation off of his reaction. If he knew it was unlawful I'd have been calling it in. If he didn't I'd let it go.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    To report Fish and Wildlife violations and remain anonymous citizens are encouraged to use the TIP line by calling 1-800-TIP-IDNR.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/5268926/
    In today's digital world if you truly believe in anonymous, don't.

I have worked in roles in corporate America as one who is supposed to protect that annonymity. You would be surprised how fast a couple smart execs can whittle down a field of 1000 to a likely few, even without access to data.

Up here, anonymous tends to be the biggest law breakers making trouble for good folks. The anonymous are also up on charges half the time.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Two years ago had someone set up a stand 10 yards from the property line and then dumped 3 50# bags of corn in a pile 5 yards from the line, leaving the empty bags scattered around the area. I'm sure the raccoons and squirrels had a feast, deer maybe. Put up some additional signs.

gtpilot21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Noblesville, IN
    I would have asked him the question like "ohh is that leagal to do that, I didn't think you could do that" and then see what he says. Not wanting to start confrontation but simply making it known to him that I don't think you can do that buddy you might want to read up on the rules.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    My 13 year old son reminded me this weekend that I could have shot a big buck several years ago (he has hunted with me for the past 6 years) if I had shot across the property line. I explained that we hunt by the rules whether we like it or not, trying to instill in him respect for the rules. It was a very nice deer too.

Unfortunately there are those that are ignorant to the rules or choose to ignore the rules. I am in the later stages of my hunting maturation and do it mainly for enjoyment and so my son can learn.

I may have snapped a picture of his license plate and called the Tip line but I would not have explained the hunting rules and tried to educate him by any means.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If you find yourself distressed about the matter, you could teach him about baiting by tying him to a tree with an electric predator call running. :):

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I would have asked him the question like "ohh is that leagal to do that, I didn't think you could do that" and then see what he says. Not wanting to start confrontation but simply making it known to him that I don't think you can do that buddy you might want to read up on the rules.

Yes, or say, I'll have to try that next year .....

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I think I would have asked him a few more questions, like if he is hunting over the feeders. If he is, then I would have reminded him that it was illegal and gone on my way. There is nothing wrong with having feeders on the your property during hunting season as long as you are not hunting over them.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Don't know many hunters that don't bait, if I was a snitch, and their were big rewards I'd be swimming in piles of the green stuff.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'd have said something like " Oh, risking the law huh?" or "don't let the DNR see you feeders" with a little wink or something. If he responds that he didn't know he shouldn't, then I'd feel good about helping someone out. If he responded with crap or knew he was breaking the law and just didn't care, then I'd probably try to get a plate number or something and report a tip the DNR. At the very least you know the area and county he's hunting in. Better than nothing for them.

Ignorance of the law needs quick education. Direct disobedience of the law deserves a punishment.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'd have said something like " Oh, risking the law huh?" or "don't let the DNR see you feeders" with a little wink or something. If he responds that he didn't know he shouldn't, then I'd feel good about helping someone out. If he responded with crap or knew he was breaking the law and just didn't care, then I'd probably try to get a plate number or something and report a tip the DNR. At the very least you know the area and county he's hunting in. Better than nothing for them.

Ignorance of the law needs quick education. Direct disobedience of the law deserves a punishment.

So now the guy thinks you're OK with skirting the rules? I understand where you're going, but I don't think that's the right way about it.

Peer pressure will have a lot more impact than DNR laws and the low risk of getting caught.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    It is not illegal to have feeders, even year round.

It is illegal to hunt a feeder less than 10 days after it's been cleaned up.

Perhaps he has a camera on a feeder, or one within sight of his house that he does not hunt. Perhaps he was only saying the feeder on his property - that he does not hunt - no longer has does even though it's full. I would have probably asked something like that. If I then found out he was hunting bait, I would not judge, but just tell him I teach hunter ed. and NBEF and hunting bait is illegal in Indiana. I would clean up the feeding area for at least 10 days before hunting it to be legal. There's no need to be confrontational, but I see it as helpful to keep fellow hunters from ignorantly disobeying game laws.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If some moron is truly hunting over bait and is willing to openly discuss it, let him hang himself.
    He might just be a common liar.
    I'd ignore it.

If I come across a baiting site, then I'll report it. Hearsay is just...................

Top Bottom