• ...and so much more!
  • kc9djn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Hello
    I ws wondering if anyone was aware of restrictions concerning mailing a handgun in Indiana. I have a P-11 that I need to mail to Florida (for repair), but did
    not know if there were any rules, or restrictions
    Thanks for your Help

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Your best bet is probably to find an FFL that will handle shipping for you. A gunsmith in my area ships for $30 - that's $15 for him and about $15 for the insured shipping. He ships USPS, which is OK if its an FFL-to-FFL transfer. If you want to ship your gun via Fedex or UPS be prepared to spend $70, since they require overnight shipping.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Your best bet is probably to find an FFL that will handle shipping for you.

I see people who use an FFL to ship guns (long or handgun)... the question is... WHY?

It's never made any sense to me, there is no need for an FFL to involved, in any way, in shipping a firearm back to the manufacturer for service. So why would someone? Lazy? Ignorant? Both? :dunno:

I've never used an FFL to ship a firearm in the United States of any type or for any reason.

On shipping to keltec, do you need to send the entire firearm? If the answer is yes (as opposed to just shipping the slide) the ship via UPS hub. It's the simplest way to go.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Technically you can send through USPS....however. They can only be delivered from dealer to dealer and a form USPS1508 must be filled out along with a copy of the senders FFL. In the past with UPS, handguns were to be shipped via Next Day Air. Now you can use 2nd Day Air. It's a little cheaper. They won't take handguns regular ground service.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    A UPS store will if you tell 'em it's "gun parts". Don't ask me how I know! :D

You are 100% correct, if you have insurance on it and it gets lost though, good luck. :D That's why I just drive to the main terminal or go to Beech Grove Firearms. They will walk with me right across the street (new rule by the post office) so I can mail it out for a decent price, and his fee is reasonable too. :D

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I wish that the title was ******** to be repaired, every time I see the title I think that I'm getting a new gun in the mail but it hasn't come yet. :dunno:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I believe you can ship handguns via Second Day Air from UPS now.

Correct. Prior dealers/wholesalers starting, a individual could ship 2nd day for at least a year or two prior. Most wholesalers had contracts setup that locked them into the next day at discounted rates and with all those having expired the trickle down effect is now in full effect.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Correct. Prior dealers/wholesalers starting, a individual could ship 2nd day for at least a year or two prior. Most wholesalers had contracts setup that locked them into the next day at discounted rates and with all those having expired the trickle down effect is now in full effect.

Incorrect. Unless "Second Day Air" and "Next Day Air" are the same thing, UPS's website makes clear that handguns shipped with them can go only as follows. (emphasis mine)

(Source: UPS: Shipping Firearms )

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm ShipmentUPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

• Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
    • UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
    • UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
    • Firearms, including handguns, and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally
    • Ammunition may be accepted for shipment internationally provided it is shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping International Goods.
    • UPS ReturnsSM Services are not available for packages containing firearms.
    About Documentation and Labeling
    • The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
      • You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Handguns are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
      • When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
      • You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns, which are discussed above), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.
      • See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.
    Hope this helps.

Blessings,
    B

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Incorrect. Unless "Second Day Air" and "Next Day Air" are the same thing, UPS's website makes clear that handguns shipped with them can go only as follows. (emphasis mine)

:dunno:

If thats the case when I shipped a year or so ago they violated policy and wholesalers currently shipping 2nd day air are also violating it. Last month SOG shipped me a cz52 and TT33 2nd day air, about 14 bucks IIRC. Century has shipping 2nd day as well.

Maybe they haven't updated their online info? I have no idea except to say every wholesaler I deal with ships 2nd day air (if you want) now and I have as well. All declared and UPS never says a word about it, except "is it loaded?" :twocents:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

:dunno:

If thats the case when I shipped a year or so ago they violated policy and wholesalers currently shipping 2nd day air are also violating it. Last month SOG shipped me a cz52 and TT33 2nd day air, about 14 bucks IIRC. Century has shipping 2nd day as well.

Maybe they haven't updated their online info? I have no idea except to say every wholesaler I deal with ships 2nd day air (if you want) now and I have as well. All declared and UPS never says a word about it, except "is it loaded?" :twocents:

SOG and Century have 01FFLs, but the OP was that you can ship 2nd Day Air by UPS, and that, I do not believe, is correct.

I have no doubt that you were posting to the best of your knowledge, I think we were all talking about slightly different things is all. :)

Blessings,
    B

Top Bottom