• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Plenty of discussion about these since they've come out...

But I think only a few INGOers have talked about their own personal experience with them.

I'm about 80% convinced this is what I'll get for my 870 (+fore end...)

I've heard they're heavy. Like not something one would want to tote around for a day of quail / pheasant hunting. That's fine - I'm not a hunter.

They also have a built-in sling attachment on the buttstock itself. I presume, due to location, that this is to be used with a mag tube sling mount in a 2-pt sling system?

I plan on getting a rear sling plate adapter (between stock and receiver) to set it up for 2-pt. MAY have a front sling option on a clamp, not sure.

But the BIG question I have: What color SGA stock to get? Black or FDE? Or perhaps an FDE kit with a black cheek riser?

-J-

glock27

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I love my FDE Magpul 870 butt stock and forend. Forend is much easier to manipulate than the stock foregrip. The stock is a bit heavier but much more useful. Less felt recoil, hand sits on the grip more naturally. Very happy with mine!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      599.7 KB · Views: 59

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Mine looks almost identical to Glock27's (minus the sight and pressure switch on the forend, I have a BigDot bead-sight on mine). I use the MagPul single-point sling adapter and prefer it over the 2-point as the center of balance is almost spot-on that point; it really alleviates much of the perceived weight.

As to Black or FDE :dunno: I dunno, I chose FDE and dig it. It seems like a purely personal preference choice to me. Do you want to look tacticool or tacticooler? I'd really like to have an FDE G23 to match my 870; accessories are a must (I am gonna have to get a new watch band now too)!

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Awesome! It has a pistol grip currently but I don't care for it, I will have to keep my eye out for one of these stocks. I will google it but what do they run cost wise?

Anywhere from $95-ish to $120-ish

All depends where you're looking.

www.hartatac.com has decent prices. An Indiana business...AND INGOer owned...

As far as the Mesa, Vitamink... Just too rich for my blood. I'd love to have the Enidine sytem... But, again, too rich for my blood.

I like the look of the FDE pictured above. I may very well go that route. You know - because it's all about looking good.

-J-

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just started going down this road and planned to put a post together. I'll put it here instead if that's not too much of a hijack. I have a Remington 870 Express which I decided to go FDE Magpul for most of the transformation...

My plans were to put on the forend, stock, and cheek riser in FDE. Here are the parts before the installation...
    870MagpulPreInstall_zps7643cf61.jpg

The original stock comes off very easily...
    870StockRemoval1_zps2861eeaa.jpg

870StockRemoval2_zps4a32a73d.jpg

The Magpul SGA actually comes with four (4) spacers, only three (3) are shown in the picture. I decided to use only two (2) for my build...
    MagpulSGA870Stock_zps58023e01.jpg

Here's a comparison of the SGA to the original synthetic stock...
    StockComparison_zpsfec697d0.jpg

Installation of the spacers and cheek riser...
    870SGAStockSpacersandCheckRiser_zpsa8c73507.jpg

Final product (for now)...
    870withMagpul_zps7b09e439.jpg

I am planning to also install a Mesa Tactical six (6) shell side saddle and an XS Big Dot Tritium front sight. I'll post those pics as well when I get it done. I am going to use an Elzetta flashlight mount. I decided to go this route instead of the Magpul because I like it fits on the 870.

The SGA is about a half pound heavier than the original Remington stock. I decided not to go with the rear sling plate adapter and will try to use the adapters built into the stock if I decide to use a sling. We'll see how that works out.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have th speedfeed stock on my 870 now, but I am really liking that magpul...I also see that magpul has an illumination kit for that MOE forend as well. Cheap way to mount a light.

I have some money from my birthday, I'm trying to talk myself out of buying the magpul stock and forend.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I like that FDE, I just catch myself wondering if the stock is that much better than a good old plastic 870 stock. Mainly from a $$$ view.

The issue for me is length-of-pull.

The factory stocks are just too long for me to "square up" and shoot comfortably. And I'm 6'3" and have correspondingly long arms. Now - if I stand in a traditional "hunting" or "shootin clay birds" stance - factory does fine.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    The issue for me is length-of-pull.

The factory stocks are just too long for me to "square up" and shoot comfortably. And I'm 6'3" and have correspondingly long arms. Now - if I stand in a traditional "hunting" or "shootin clay birds" stance - factory does fine.

Understood. I'm 6'5" and this 870 is my first so I have no idea how a factory stock will do for me. I've always had Mossbergs and Winchesters, still do and they all work great with the factory stocks. Be interesting to see, I did hold an 870 tactical with the magpul furniture at Acme sports last year, it was nice. I couldn't see spending over $700 on a pump though lol.

Top Bottom