• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have seen more and more Magpul handguards lately and was wondering what people think of their quality and durability. The MOE handguards are the type I was looking at to replace my standard set and since I grip the magwell normally anyway its not an issue of not being free float. Mainly I will be mounting a light to it but I have seen a VFG mounted as well. Magpul as a great reputation for mags but I just don't know about their polymer holding up with rails attached.

Any help is appreciated.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The MOE offers an inexpensive option to the basic carbine handguards, with the added benefit of having the ability to mount a light and VFG.

I've seen/used guns with the MOE installed, and personally think every standard handguard should, at minimum, be switched out with one, but I still prefer a solid free-float rail.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Plus, they're Costa-approved! :D

30623_409328332736_69697327736_4413413_3883024_n.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have one carbine set up with one. It was a great way to mount my Surefire Mini-Scout.

I'm taking a couple of carbine classes to wring it out and will report back.

I'm a good test subject as a have a slight reputation as being hard on gear.*:D

*Kirk has broken: a Ruger Blackhawk without firing it, a Colt New Frontier in half, Smith revolvers, a LaRue mount, several Glocks, several 1911s, assorted optics, magazines, inter alia.

I really need to hire myself out as a proof tester.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The MOE offers an inexpensive option to the basic carbine handguards, with the added benefit of having the ability to mount a light and VFG.

I've seen/used guns with the MOE installed, and personally think every standard handguard should, at minimum, be switched out with one, but I still prefer a solid free-float rail.

I am putting the pieces together for a nicer AR in the future and am probably going to use a free float rail. However, I currently have a carbine with regular handguards and want to mount something and don't want to spend money on a rail just for that.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I am putting the pieces together for a nicer AR in the future and am probably going to use a free float rail. However, I currently have a carbine with regular handguards and want to mount something and don't want to spend money on a rail just for that.

Then it sounds like you need a MOE. :D

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I've got the MOE hand guard on my Smith and Wesson M&P 15 MOE.

It's got a bit different feel / shape then the stock hand guard. I find the MOE to be more comfortable.

img0485ij.jpg

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I was hoping for an earlier release on the Mid-Length MOE, for my BCM upper, but in a need to get the lead-brick weight of the UTG Quad-rail that I bought because nothing else was available in my price range, I put a Double Star Middie hand guard. I find it flimsy, and wait to for the release of the Mid Length MOE with great anticipation!

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    The technology used to produce the high quality magazines goes into the rifle parts as well.

I have the MOE stock and Miad on my rifle and they are very very durable. I'm a bit biased in the fact that I drank from the Magpul cool aid early and I think the products are top notch.

I would also have to say that they would stand up better to the current plastic handgaurds on military issue weapons. I broke my set while I was in afghanistan and I don't think that the Magpul plastic would break the way the Military crap did.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The technology used to produce the high quality magazines goes into the rifle parts as well.

I have the MOE stock and Miad on my rifle and they are very very durable. I'm a bit biased in the fact that I drank from the Magpul cool aid early and I think the products are top notch.

I would also have to say that they would stand up better to the current plastic handgaurds on military issue weapons. I broke my set while I was in afghanistan and I don't think that the Magpul plastic would break the way the Military crap did.

I have yet to buy any Magpul products but these handguards are really making me think. I want the ability to mount a light without spending the money on a solid machined rail. Also, I don't want to add any weight as if the SHTF this is probably the rifle the GF gets. It has taken me a long while to accept the Magpul products like their Pmag but the fan base is growing to powerful for me to ignore:D

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    huh.

I sometimes wonder why people resist good products just to be "different."

That said, I love the MOE, it costs ~30 bucks, with a 18 dollar VFG and a 30 dollar light kit.....

thats what? 1/3rd of a rail system?

I find it very lightweight, and comfortable.

I may just kit out all my rifles in moe gaurds.

Every rail system I have ever seen has a vfg on it, and a light. And the rest of the rails are covered up by "rail covers" which also have to be purchased and put on.

Last edited:

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I like the fit and finish of the Magpul gear. I am working on a custom build, but I wanted to go with the best "inexpensive" accessories from the ground up.

-MOE stock
    -MOE pistol grip
    -MOE handguard
    -Complete STAG lower
    -11.5" FN Upper, 1/9 twist, 5" pinned flash hider
    -YHM BUIS
    -YHM railed gas block with flip up front sight
    -Eotech 552
    -Surefire 6P with Leupold mount and tape switch

Only thing I'm missing is the MOE vertical grip (MVG) and I'll be set! Now just waiting for the darn thing to come out....

I'll try to get a pic up

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Mark, as always you're on top of it. I guess I should have said "waiting for the darn thing to hit my local gunstore!" I don't mind buying online, I just usually like to buy and sell on the board and support the local shops. However, since it has free shipping, I might just have to indulge.

Top Bottom