• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    In reference to a topic that comes up from time to time, magazine springs and their wear.

All that Fuddlore nonsense about springs is merely that, Fuddlore. Load them up and you can keep them that way.

View attachment 270893

I don’t need no stinking science.

I have an original colt (probably mecgar) .45 acp magazine that has been continuously loaded since 1974 and it’s function is still 100%.
    (ok so it’s been empty only long enough to immediately reload.)

Now maybe pro mag??? Lol

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There are exceptions to the rule. It can happen with cheap springs. I had to replace the spring on a Mossberg 500. It sat fully loaded for 10+ years. I went to clean it and the last round wouldnt leave the tube unless I held it vertically. The follower was around 3" inside the tube at rest after that.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I know metal mags are fine to keep loaded for years without any issue. I've heard that the Gen 1 Magpul polymer mags will loosed around the lips at the top over time if stored fully loaded without the dust cover clipped in place. I have no idea if this is true and there is some evidence contrary to that below.

I have a bunch of cheap polymer SWT mags from Sportsman's Guide that have been loaded and forgotten about for eight years (bought, loaded, and stashed them away in March 2015). I just found them at the bottom of a bin while reorganizing my gun room. Threw a few in a range bag and they functioned without problem. No cracks or any other issues with the lips.

Not gen1 PMAGs I realize, but eight year old rando plastic nonetheless.

Top Bottom