• ...and so much more!
  • coreman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    McCordsville
    Hey gang,

I've been looking at ditching my S&W 442 (pics attached) as my main CCW in favor of a Shield .40. Haven't shot one yet—I just love the look and feel, plus I enjoy shooting the .40 round and have found it to be pretty easy to find and affordable at local shops. I can't find .38 SPL for the life of me!

Everything I've read about the Shield has been favorable. Most people say to get the 9mm for the extra round, but I'm not crazy about 9mm in general. In your opinion, is it worth the extra bullet (7 & 8 capacity mags in 9mm vs. 6 & 7 capacity in .40)? What's the minimum number of rounds you'd want a CCW to hold?

IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'd worry more about shot placement than the overall effective differences in the two rounds.

I don't think you'll find an appreciable difference in performance.

YMMV

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I want as many rounds as I can get. That may not always be practical. The trade off of a smaller gun is less capacity. Personally I am not a big fan of .40 in subcompact guns. I do often carry a Glock 23 which is chambered in .40. To answer your question about 1 round, carry what you feel confident in shooting. If that is the .40 then go for it!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP - what holster is that for your J-Frame?

I often pocket my J-Frame and don't feel undergunned.

I carry a Shield in 9mm, + 1 reload, and don't feel undergunned.

I carry an M&P 9fs + 1 reload and really don't feel undergunned...

Carry what you want!

But hang on to the J-Frame and save up $450 (tax included) for a Shield!

-J-

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I have a Shield in 9mm and think it is great, but now I have my XDs in 45acp, that will be my carry firearm, I also bought an CT laser grip for it. CT will work with both my XDs 45 and my XDs 9mm. XDs 45 holds 5+1 or 7+1. I think you should try the 9mm. New CCW ammo has improved the 9mm many times over. You might want to try a Shield in 40 before buying one? I owned a KAHR PM 9mm that was great, but shot my buddies KAHR PM 40 and kicked like H--L, IMO. Good luck

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    More capacity means nothing if you don't like the caliber.

Carry what you shoot best. Nothing else matters.

As for the Shield, I'd love to try one out. But I'm extremely happy with my Glock 26.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd probably keep the revolver, and if you want a single stack, then get a Shield in 9mm. That said, I'd say go rent or find someone who has a Shield in 40 and will let you shoot it. What is your concern with the 9mm? What .40 guns have you shot? Shooting the .40 in a smaller/lighter gun can be a different experience.

Personally the single stack gun that I still have to hang on my belt or wear IWB is no advantage to me over a double stack, as I can do either easily with a Glock 26 or 19 and have additional capacity.

coreman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    McCordsville
    OP - what holster is that for your J-Frame?

Holster was custom made by Hooch (hoochholsters.com). If you're not familiar with him, he's a member here. Does great work, does it quickly and does it affordably.

Thanks for all the opinions, guys. I'll probably be seeking out an Shield to "try on" and see how it all works.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Hooch is a greenwood police officer, he sells his holsters at USDS and you can get ahold of him if you want him to do a custom holster. My preference is the more the better, I carry a Glock 17 for work with my 26 on my ankle. 3 back up mags for the 17 and 2 back up mags with +2 grip extenders for the 26. It doesnt help that I work as a armed guard, so I always have a target on my back. People usually back off when they realize that I have a lot of firepower on me. Havent been shot at yet, but everyday is a new day.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    Confidence in your gear is important to effective fighting, and an argument could be made that worry hinders that effectiveness. However, I never quite understood the value in the statement, "I carry ________ and don't feel under-gunned."...hell, I've even said it numerous times...doesn't make it smart though! Is our feeling going to make a difference in what fight comes to us? The number of assailants? The reality of whether or not we ARE under-gunned?

NO.

Look, I get some of the arguments that are often made:

-Carrying something is better than nothing....True.
    -Shot placement trumps the number of rounds available...True...Sometimes.
    -Shot placement trumps caliber selection...True...Sometimes.
    -A pistol is better than a knife...True...Sometimes.

On and on. The reality is preparing for the least common denominator is a questionable practice. We have tons of options, and pushing the limits of reality seems unwise, when we don't have to.

Best tool for the job, that covers the most circumstances, within our ability, and the permissivemenss of the environment.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    If Im carrying a single stack gun or a revolver I have 2 extra reloads but if I have a hi cap gun I carry one reload. Hopefully you wont ever need to use any rounds but if you do need extra rounds you better have them. A lot has to do with your lifestyle and situation.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    What's the minimum number of rounds you'd want a CCW to hold?
    Somewhere between 5 and 15 rounds.
    For me, it's usually 15 9mm, carrying a Glock 19 IWB, or 5 .38spc, carrying a Ruger LCR in my pocket. (Sometimes both!)

Okay, okay, maybe a Glock 26 IWB sometimes as well.

If you're having trouble deciding what to carry, buy some of each, and carry them all at different times. "Variety is the spice of life." Just don't use that phrase with your wife or girlfriend.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hooch is a greenwood police officer, he sells his holsters at USDS and you can get ahold of him if you want him to do a custom holster. My preference is the more the better, I carry a Glock 17 for work with my 26 on my ankle. 3 back up mags for the 17 and 2 back up mags with +2 grip extenders for the 26. It doesnt help that I work as a armed guard, so I always have a target on my back. People usually back off when they realize that I have a lot of firepower on me. Havent been shot at yet, but everyday is a new day.

So, curious. Why not just carry 5 mags for the 17? Those would fit the 17 and the 26.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting twice and anything worth shooting twice is worth shooting more.

I would rather have capacity of caliber (within reason of the common defense cartridges from 380-45). It isnt the movies there is really only one place on the body that you can shoot a person and drop them like a sack of ****. And in a defensive scenario thats nor even a consideration to aim at. Its putting many rounds in center mass very quickly.

I've carried a glock 23 (40) and that had 13+1 plus an extra mag or two depending where i was going and for how long. Now i carry a sig p226 in 9mm which gives me 15+1 and an extra mag or two. So the difference if i'm going out with 3 mags and one in the chamber is 40 in the glock and 46 in the sig. Thats a revolvers worth of ammo right there.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I have Shield 9mm and highly recommend it. It's a fantastic gun. However, rather than getting the 9mm for one more round I would go 9mm because of recoil. I've never shot the Shield in .40. But I don't really like shooting my dad's full size Glock 22 in .40 because of the recoil, so I can't imagine I'd like shooting the Shield in .40.

Top Bottom