• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I currently have a Mac mini and am looking to get a laptop sometime in the near future. I really hate to spend $1200 on a MacBook pro. I was originally thinking about going the iPad route but I'm going to Florida next summer and want the laptop for web, email and downloading pics off of the camera each day. I like the interface of the Mac and was wondering if I could put Mac os on a cheaper windows laptop. I've seen Mac laptops for sale that had xp on it before.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    It can be done.
    Hackintosh Instructions, Hackintosh How To Guides @ Hackintosh.com

I've never done it myself, but I suspect you might run into driver issues and such. One of the reasons OSX and macs are so great is that Apple keeps the hardware tightly controlled. Windows, OTOH, has to make an OS that'll run on umpteen million mfers hardware. So it's relatively easy to make Windows run on anything, because they assume it will be running on anything/everything, whereas on OS X, it's designed for Apple hardware with no thought at all to non-Apple hardware. That's my non-tech geek understanding of it anyway.

The other alternative is to look around for a slightly used Macbook. I'm typing this on my old 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo Black Macbook that still runs great, and goes for about $5-600 refurbished.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I currently have a Mac mini and am looking to get a laptop sometime in the near future. I really hate to spend $1200 on a MacBook pro. I was originally thinking about going the iPad route but I'm going to Florida next summer and want the laptop for web, email and downloading pics off of the camera each day. I like the interface of the Mac and was wondering if I could put Mac os on a cheaper windows laptop. I've seen Mac laptops for sale that had xp on it before.

Mac Hacks Allow OS X on PCs

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Elkhart Co.
    You can on some laptops, but most of them have something that will not work - a wireless adapter, for example.

Do a search for "hackintosh" and you can find the notebooks that it will work on and the instructions to get it going.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'll do some reading up on that. I'm computer stupid so I don't know if this is something I can do myself.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Its actully really easy... assuming your laptop is supported. If its not... well, there is a reason a macbook is 1200$. You get what you pay for, and dollar for dollar you get WAY more from a macbook than a 1200$ dell (or equivalant)

Pyroponce

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    South Bend
    Hackintoshes can be sweet if your hardware is supported. It's not for the technologically faint of heart, however.

If you think that getting pictures off a camera is an obstacle to getting an iPad, think again. With an Apple Camera Connection Kit, it's no problemo. It'll let you upload pics from your camera to your iPad via USB or SD card.

Apple Store link

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The Hackintosh is an interesting and fun project for the computer hobbyist. It probably is not going to go well for someone that doesn't feel comfortable with the nuts and bolts of his computer. You will not be able to run updates. You may have some issues running some apps. I definitely is not for someone that gets frustrated.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hackintoshes can be sweet if your hardware is supported. It's not for the technologically faint of heart, however.

If you think that getting pictures off a camera is an obstacle to getting an iPad, think again. With an Apple Camera Connection Kit, it's no problemo. It'll let you upload pics from your camera to your iPad via USB or SD card.

Apple Store link

That's good news. I think I'd et way more use out of the iPad then I would an actual laptop. I do 90% of my INGO surfing from my iPhone. My computer is upstairs and I do a lot of surfing while watching tv downstairs. Can the iPad keyboard dock be used off of the iPad battery or does it have to be plugged in? Can I wirelessly transfer photos from my iPhone to an iPad?

It definitely think the hackintosh is not going to be for me. I work around programmable logic controllers all day at work and love dealing with that stuff. Computer software doesn't interest me at all. I want to turn on a computer and have it work out of the box.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Elkhart Co.
    Can the iPad keyboard dock be used off of the iPad battery or does it have to be plugged in? Can I wirelessly transfer photos from my iPhone to an iPad?

The dock plugs in and the iPad charges from the dock.
    Or you can use a wireless keyboard that runs on its own batteries and have the iPad in a stand. I suggest this if you are like me and like the screen to be in landscape mode much of the time.

There has to be a way to wirelessly transfer pics from one to another. You may have to spend a buck or two on an app to do it, though. I am not sure since I don't have an iPhone.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Can you use a wireless mouse with the Mac wireless keyboard as well? That wouldn't be a must but would be nice. I hate laptop touch pads and would rather use the touch screen of the iPad than a laptop touch pad.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Elkhart Co.
    You can't use a mouse with the ipad because it isn't designed that way. There is no cursor to move around like on a pc.

If you live close to Goshen, you can borrow my ipad for a couple days to see if it you like it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm a long ways from Goshen but I appreciate the offer. I love using the iPhone to surf but would like a bigger screen and the ability to type on a keyboard if needed. It would suit my needs much better than a lapto and would be much cheaper. If cost wasnt a consideration, I'd get both but I'm sure the laptop would see very little use.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Hackintoshes work, although there is NO support and a simple OS X update has been known to break things. If you like to tinker with PC's that's fine otherwise you may be in for a headache with a hackintosh.

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    Just save your money and buy the Mac, I know people that have tried the Hackintosh crap and after all the time and money they wasted and never got it running finally just went and bought one.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Just save your money and buy the Mac, I know people that have tried the Hackintosh crap and after all the time and money they wasted and never got it running finally just went and bought one.

This is what did it for me. Used the pirated macOS when it first came out for literally one day before going to the apple store to buy the 1st of many many macs...

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN

This. And if money is an issue, the online Apple store has a refurb section where you can save some $$$. I haven't bought a *new* Mac in about 10 years.

Top Bottom