• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I really like this. The man does realistic testing for the AR platform. Yeah it does jam but only in a particular case

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHwoZ6SS_pY[/ame]

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    that to me right there should shut up all the people squawking about how AR's are unreliable and cant handle dirt like and AK. ya notice the only thing he had to do to get the trigger to reset right was shake the dirt out of it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    that to me right there should shut up all the people squawking about how AR's are unreliable and cant handle dirt like and AK. ya notice the only thing he had to do to get the trigger to reset right was shake the dirt out of it.
    Now wait a minute, did you watch both videos all the way through?

I think I know what you mean, but it's not what you said.

What I think what you meant was that an AR can still handle a fair amount of dirt, which in most circumstances will be reliable enough.

What you said/implied was that AR's can handle as much dirt as the AK. That simply is not true; evidenced by his videos. The AK chugs right through the piles of dirt dumped directly into the open receiver, and the AR chokes on it...

While I realize that this is an extreme circumstance and the average user will most likely never encounter the need to use their weapon if it should become that dirty, that does not mean the AR can handle as much dirt as the AK, which is exactly the argument that many folks are trying to make.

I think if you approach it from an unbiased perspective the AK can clearly handle more dirt in the action. I have both AR's and AK's, and they both serve different purposes that are dependent on their strong points and weak points. Neither one is "all-around" better than the other....

:twocents:

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    It has nothing to do with the gas systems in the rifles.
    It's down to areas for excess crap to settle, in an AK there are lots of spaces, in an AR there are much less.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    It's down to areas for excess crap to settle, in an AK there are lots of spaces, in an AR there are much less.

+1, tolerances are much tighter inside an AR. That's good for accuracy and smoothness, not so much for dirt. We all know the AK is going to handle dirt and debris better, it's just how it's. Like said already, pick your rifle, train with it, enjoy it, feed it. Know its positives and negatives and rock n roll. :D

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Tolerances are similarly tight in an AK. Again it is about the extra space in the AK and the differences in FCG's. In an AR the form factor of the receiver is tight to the BCG and FCG, in an AK they ride in a big square box.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Good point. My thought was the gas system is more disruptive/dirty than the piston system. Have been shooting a .308 AR platform a bit lately and get a face full of gas plus the heat.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    my point in saying what i said was to say that in NORMAL use (not just personal but military) they hold up just as well. The ammount of dirt that was put into the AR and AK is BEYOND normal. You would have to litteraly burry the gun and have the bolt locked back to even come close to that. Im not saying its a bad test...im just saying its a test that is extreme and that is fine.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I believe this is true.

The AR has smaller places for debris to safety accumulate before it interferes with the operation of the rifle. The rifles defense against the ingress of debris is to seal the innards as best as it can from the elements. As I point out in the video, where this system can fail is when the bolt is locked open during a reload.

The AK has to work with more debris in the action because the action is wide open to it while in the firing mode. The slot for the charging handle is fairly large and with the safety in fire it can allow considerable amounts of debris into the rifle.

You'll also notice that debris can fall through the AK. In the video you can see dirt falling free of the rifle from the bottom during firing. With the AR the debris is trapped inside until you break it open and shake it out.

It's two different approaches to solving the same problem really.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Again...choose your poison.

Had AK's..SKS platforms. No real issues. Ate anything we fed them. They required about the same maint. as the AR's
    Have AR's now. Sold all the Russian pieces.
    Personally I/we prefer them over the 7.62X39 pieces. We chose our poison.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I've personally fired AKs recovered from Iraqi pits that had that moon dust in the nooks and crannies that when coupled with the damp rainy season gummed them up to the point of inoperability. To be honest, nothing would work with that cement like crud in them. Extreme test have their place, and are very informative, but most end users don't bury their AKs or get an AR full of dirt.

Top Bottom