• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I happened to be out at Linden for their full-auto day with my M10/45 the other weekend and I ran into my old boss from my college part-time job forever ago. Apparently he got into the NFA world and decided to jump in with an M16. He let me put a mag through it and I have to say it was pretty nice shooting a 5.56 full auto that didn't weight as much as an early 80's Honda Civic, like my SABRE.

So, that got me to thinking about buying an M16 myself. I was drawn to the M10 primarily for price, but found that it's versatility with after market uppers made it a pretty nice purchase. But compared to an M16/AR lower, MACs are one trick ponies.

That being said, their prices seem to range anywhere from about $14k to $30k+, with Olympic Arms being on the bottom, followed by some Bushmasters, with various converted and then Govt issued Colts making up the top. The question I have is whether an actual Colt M16 is really worth $10k+ more than a converted Colt or Bushmaster?

There are also LLs and DIASs. Of the two, the DIAS really sounds like what I would want, but I don't see many of either coming up for sale. In fact, I'm only seeing either registered receiver guns or a few RDIASs that have been wedded to a particular lower (and are basically the same price as the registered lower).

I'm not looking to buy until probably early next year (pending some bonuses and stock options coming through), but it can never hurt to plan early. :D

Last edited:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    1. You obviously liked the M16.
    2. You seem to have done your research.
    3. You seem to be married to the idea of getting something in that line.

Keep researching the pro's and con's of a receiver/DIAS and the various configurations therein. Since you seem to have the financials in process you have plenty of time to get the rest of the process/research together and get it under way. Only you will know what best suits your needs moving forward but I'm sure there will be some intelligent comment on the variances of configuration with regards to registered receiver/DIAS soon enough.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I am very happy with my converted Colt, I did have it changed over to take small pin uppers and that was money well spent. I wanted a good shooter and I have no regrets.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I sent it to M60 Joe, took about a week and it was really inexpensive. I don't remember the exact price but I think it was under $200.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The question I have is whether an actual Colt M16 is really worth $10k+ more than a converted Colt or Bushmaster?

For a shooter, no. As far as I know all of the Bushmaster M16's are actually Sendra's converted by Bushmaster, just FYI. ;)

There are also LLs and DIASs. Of the two, the DIAS really sounds like what I would want, but I don't see many of either coming up for sale. In fact, I'm only seeing either registered receiver guns or a few RDIASs that have been wedded to a particular lower (and are basically the same price as the registered lower).

I had a LL, while it worked great, I'd pass on one for what they are bringing now. The DIAS is entering into crazy price territory for me, but definitely the way to go if you have the money to spend. Avoid the DIAS converted guns that are married. Neither the receiver or DIAS body is replacable in the event of damage.

Just my $.02 ;)

BTW- I own 2 post 86 M16's (converted Spikes and Bushmaster) and have a transferable Sendra in transfer. :cool:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I'd imagine so. I've never been spoiled enough to venture into NFA past SBRs and suppressors, but I've shot an MP5sd, h&k ump45 and an m16 enough to say, the versatility of the m16 is well worth the extra cash should one be inclined to spend mounds of cash on a sub machine or machine gun. The ease of transitioning to 9mm, .22lr, .300 blckout etc is cheap and convenient.

I once met an every day man with an m16. After he paid off his car, he pay into an account until he bought one. After realizing the cost of mag dumps and how quickly they go, he got a .22 upper. Never looked back.

jmemmert

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    First i've heard of the full auto day at linden... What's it like? How often do they do it? Do they allow full auto any other days? Finally might have a reason to buy a membership.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    First i've heard of the full auto day at linden... What's it like? How often do they do it? Do they allow full auto any other days? Finally might have a reason to buy a membership.

They do it the last Saturday of each month, starting in morning. It seems to wrap up around 1 or 2pm, depending on how many people show up. Basically, they have a volunteer(s) managing the shoot. It's held on the 50 yard rifle range and they have tables set up about half-way down.

Other than full auto day, they don't allow full auto fire.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Have both, and I still like the MACs better for FA. Cheaper to shoot if you reload and cast, and really nothing beats high rate of fire at close range.

Top Bottom