• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I dont know a whole lot about nothing. I was wanting to pick up an m1 carbine for my father in law as a gift. He had his stolen a while back. I dont want to buy any "junk". What is a decent type I should look for and whats a fair price to pay for one? Ive read they have come up a bit in price the last few years unfortunately. Thanks INGO :ingo:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I would stick with a USGI one, but if it's a shooter don't worry about it being a mix match. Also, don't shy away from imports. Many are more original then non-import mix matches. Youre probably looking at $650+ minimum.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I dont know a whole lot about nothing. I was wanting to pick up an m1 carbine for my father in law as a gift. He had his stolen a while back. I dont want to buy any "junk". What is a decent type I should look for and whats a fair price to pay for one? Ive read they have come up a bit in price the last few years unfortunately. Thanks INGO :ingo:

slowG, I used to collect M1 carbines for about 7 years. Got out of it because the prices on nice restored or originals and original parts for these got to "salty" for my wallet. You indicate you do not want "junk"? In the carbine collectors arena they are called "mix masters" or "shooters". The afore mentioned names are just what they imply and will run you $500 and up depending on manufacturer. Winchester, Rock-Ola,Erwin Pederson even in "mixmaster"or "shooters" of these will run you $750 and up. Inland was the most common of all the M1 carbines. They(Inland) made literally "boat loads" of M1's and prices on mixmasters on them will run you at least $500 on a good day. Now if you want a good idea on the cost of some REALLY, REALLY nice all correct collector grade M1 carbines. Go to Gun Broker and type in the most common M1 carbine "Inland M1 carbine". There are some that Cabelas is offering on GunBroker from their gun library and those are just Inland. Type in IBM or Winchester or Rock-Ola (yes a jute box company), Standard Products. They start at $1800.00, again though these are all correct originals (some may be restored) non the less they bringing a premium. Not trying to discourage you just being real. Hope this helps? Good luck.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hang around the for sale forum on the CMP forum. Someone will be selling a real GI one for sure.

Stick with the GI 15 round mags unless you really get schooled in how to tell a GI 30 rounder from fakes.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    I have a Universal, and it is a JAMMOMATIC .....

I had one of these I bought new in the mid 70's and never had a problem with it. I still have the owners manual for it and would give it to anyone that would like to have it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have an IBM and a Universal. I really like the platform and bought the Universal for plinking to save wear on the IBM and so far, have about 200 rounds down the pipe of the Universal. In that 200 rounds, I've had one jam and found that it does not zero unless the sight is cranked quite a ways to the left. Despite that, it was bought for fun plinking and it fulfills that need quite well. If you are looking for a fun plinking gun, a Universal might work out for you. The M1 Carbine is really the perfect platform for relaxed plinking.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I was in Bradis today, Fri. 27, and they had one on the shelf .....

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    ARMSLIST - For Sale: Iver Johnson M1 Carbine .30

is this decent? Still confused about all the diff variations. Things are worse then ak's!

I have an Iver Johnson M1 Carbine and it's a pretty decent little rifle. I picked it up for plinking and it does just fine in that role. But, the one in the linked ad from Armslist seems to be about $300 higher than it's worth. The ad is wrong about it being USGI too. The Iver Johnson (Universal) is a clone made in the 1970s I believe. There is no way I'd pay $625 for that rifle when you can find actual USGI M1 Carbines for not too much more. I just paid $400 for my IJ in December and it came with 6 mags, a USGI mag pouch and sling along with about 500 rounds of ammo. That rifle should be selling for around $350.

Top Bottom