• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Stopped into Columbus Pawn at lunch. They had a oddity sitting on the shelf. 2 M1 Carbines. The one I had the guy show me was 699 and looked to be in good shape. No pitting or whathaveyah.

It doesn't feel like thats a good price, but the exterior of it was in awesome shape...so maybe the 599 ones I have seen are just a bit rougher and this was a fair price?

I know the owner of Columbus Pawn 'collects' or at least likes M1 Carbines as I heard him talking to another guy about them. So maybe its part of his collection.

I had never held one before...they sure are light! lol. Felt 'cheap' compared to my M1!

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've got a 75 Plainfield Machine M1 that I absolutely love, and it's a nice introductory rifle for new shooters if you ever decide to show anyone the ropes. I usually go bolt .22 -> lever .22 -> Semi .22 -> M1 .30, it's a nice way to be introduced to rifles. :)

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I also have a Plainfield that was assembled from U.S. parts, it my shooter, great fun gun. I also have a M1 Carbine Saganaw Gear, near new, have had it for years, yet to shoot it.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What make were they? If they were GI ones, you may have passed up a great deal.

GI ones sell now for 900 and up.

Stopped into Columbus Pawn at lunch. They had a oddity sitting on the shelf. 2 M1 Carbines. The one I had the guy show me was 699 and looked to be in good shape. No pitting or whathaveyah.

It doesn't feel like thats a good price, but the exterior of it was in awesome shape...so maybe the 599 ones I have seen are just a bit rougher and this was a fair price?

I know the owner of Columbus Pawn 'collects' or at least likes M1 Carbines as I heard him talking to another guy about them. So maybe its part of his collection.

I had never held one before...they sure are light! lol. Felt 'cheap' compared to my M1!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Before CMP ran out they were selling Service Grades for 695.oo...if it was in good shape and a USGI that would of been a fair price. A lot depends on the maker, parts, condition.....and your right, the Garand just makes them look like a toy, but they are a excellent rifle to have and shoot.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The CMP has the ability to price things at 1/2 to 2/3rds what a market would normally set at.

If it wasn't for the CMP, the M1 Garand would be a 1100+ rifle just like the M14/M1A is.

The CMP sales have the side effect of deflating the market prices for items they sell, and immediately as they stop, they rubber band back to the normal price the market will bare.

Right now rack grade worn USGI carbines sell for 800 and go up from there. Just look at the CMP for sale forum.

Thats why I think he ran into a Plainfield or one of the new Auto Ordinances, they sell for that.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I don't know what type they were. I didn't look that close. What 'brands' are the prefered ones? How do I tell if they were GI ones? Skool me on M1 Carbines and maybe I'll go grab one up.

I take it the 'Plainfield' ones above and other names mean non-USGI?

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Inland Division, General Motors (production: 2,632,097), sole producer of the M1A1 Carbine. Receiver marked "INLAND DIV."
    Winchester Repeating Arms (production: 828,059) Receiver marked "WINCHESTER"
    Irwin-Pedersen (Production 146,723) (Marked IRWIN PEDERSEN)
    Saginaw Steering Gear Division General Motors (production: 370,490) Marked "Saginaw SG"
    Underwood Elliot Fisher (production: 545,616) Receiver marked "UNDERWOOD"
    National Postal Meter (production: 413,017) Receiver marked "NATIONAL POSTAL METER"
    Quality Hardware Manufacturing Corp. (production: 359,666) Receiver marked "QUALITY H.M.C." some marked "UN-QUALITY" these made by US&S and are RARE)
    International Business Machines (production: 346,500) Receiver marked "I.B.M. CORP." Also barrel marked "IBM Corp"
    Standard Products (production: 247,100) Receiver marked "STD. PRO."
    Rock-Ola Manufacturing Corporation (production: 228,500) Receiver Marked "ROCK-OLA"

Irwin Pedersen's bring a HUGE bonus.
    Inlands are a dime a dozen, everything else add more, Inlands are no less good however. Inlands are shooters.

USGI Inland carbines with the folding stock are 3000 dollar guns (M1A1)

RUN FAR FAR FAR FAR away from Receivers marked M2 or T4, MACHINE GUNS!

If it doesn't say anything like the above on the heel, buyer beware. Some work, some are CRAP..... just avoid em.

On some the name on the heal will be obscured by the later model adjustable sight.

Last edited:
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    That seems to be a good deal on any M1 Carbine if they are not a Universal Made one. Most Universal made ones have a black metal top hand guard with holes in it.
    I picked up a CMP M1 Carbine at an auction in LaPorte for $600 plus tax and transfer fee. I have been told it is worth around $1000.

Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago
    Mine is a Universal, the earlier ones are the good ones, they are like 80-90% USGI compatible, the later models are known to have problems. Mine is one of the earlier models made between 65-66 and works just fine and never had any problems.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Thanks for the info.

These had wood upper handguards on them. They had a Henry .22 mag lever action I am going to go take a look at....so I will take a look at the M1s too.

Mcqueen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    I was in there tonight. He still had them. They look nice, but I don't think they are from WW2. They did make them for years and years. Like everything now it's hard to find ammo and clips, but when you can they are fun..

Top Bottom