• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    I have recently become very interested in purchasing a USGI M1 carbine and was curious if anybody knew what I should look for as well as where in the Indianapolis area I could find one

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    premier arms in Brownsburgs, is where I would start. Call and make sure Bryce is there.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I can't help on Indy area dealers but if you become willing to cast your net a bit further out you might consider Charles Hadley. Very honest dealer in Maine
    207-741-2655 .... he advertises heavily in Gun Digest, the advertising magazine . Mostly classic sporting guns and US milsurp. A+ guy and as standup as they come. M1 carbines are a specialty of his.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    read alot! read as much as you can. google will be your best friend... you can get screwed very easy.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    You should look for a servicable firearm first. Check the barrel...all the usual things that you would look for in a used firearm.

From there it depends on what you are wanting to buy. Are you looking for a collector's grade M1 Carbine? Then you have a lot of research to do. During the Carbine's service life a lot of mods and improvements were made to the War Baby. You're going to pay a lot of money the closer that a Carbine comes to "as issued." To that end I'd still be pretty leery of a Carbine in "original" condition...most Carbines were modified and arsenal reconfigured through their lives, so you're probably buying a Carbine that has been parted together to bring it to it's original issue. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but still, you have to know what you're plunking down your cash on.

So most M1's out there will be a mix master of parts from different manufacturers. Almost every single part would be stamped with a maker's mark. When I'm looking at a Carbine I look for overall condition of the metal and the stock, looking for the various stampings of the metal parts to see if the major parts match...I look for the cartouches in the stock to see if the stock matches the maker...stuff like that. There are also a gob of replica parts out there too. There's a lot of good info out on the web about the M1 as well as many really good reference books. But even with all the info out there you're going to find that even all that reference material contradicts each other at times.

But again, you want to make sure you're getting a servicable Carbine with a good bore and in good working order. If you want a Carbine, and you find one in good working order with a nice even patina and a nice stock? Snap it up and enjoy shooting it!! Worry about the parts and number matching later. Unless of course you're paying good money for an "original" M1 Carbine. You can make a hobby of restoring your Carbine to original.

Not much help here in my response I guess. Other than looking for a solid servicable firearm in the first place. :) I tend to go on and on about my favorite WWII firearm.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    premier arms in Brownsburgs, is where I would start. Call and make sure Bryce is there.

This ^^^ Bryce is very learned and has an extensive Carbine collection. Carbines take a great deal of research and knowledge to collect. Every piece had various manufacturers and certain receivers used different combinations of these parts. I tried to collect them for a while and gave up. I kept one M1 and 1 M1A1 Carbine and sold the rest to Bryce!!! ;)

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Go to the CMP site, get on the furoms, tons of info on carbines an they have members that put up carbines for sale. CMP was selling carbines but have ran out. I haven't bought any carbines over there on the furoms but have bought two 1903's, guys over there are pretty good to deal with. Good luck.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Go to the CMP site, get on the furoms, tons of info on carbines an they have members that put up carbines for sale. CMP was selling carbines but have ran out. I haven't bought any carbines over there on the furoms but have bought two 1903's, guys over there are pretty good to deal with. Good luck.

++++1

My sentiments exactly, the guys on that forum are happy to share their knowledge and aren't trying to sell you something so have no reason to "mislead" you.

That said I got very lucky and scored what appears to be a correct grade carbine at Christys this spring. Beautiful stock, matching wood, all cartouches, and on an assembled inspection all components are Inland IIRC (isn't that pathetic, it's been stored away since the day I brought it home and haven't had time to disassemble, clean and further inspect):dunno:. Walked out the door for $600 and it's the nicest carbine I've personally ever seen.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The fellers at Wanamaker Guns on the far SE side of Indy might also be worth a visit. They deal a lot in milsurp rifles. While they generally have older "foreign" service rifles in the racks, they may very well be of some assistance.

And, like the others have said, educate yourself BEFORE you purchase, lest you get screwed.

CMP would be a good place to start, too. CMP Sales

biggym6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    I have an M1 30carbine. It is still in Great shape. My great uncle gave it to me just before he died. He hadnt used it in years or even looked at it so when it came into my possesion I took it completely part and CLEANED. The stock is in great condition as area all the parts. Still fires without flaw. Very fun and great conversaion peice in the safe.

Top Bottom