• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Considering a new EDC pistol for the comming year. I know I want it in .40S&W but Im tore between the M&P or Xdm. Which would you pick and why? Thanks for the help!

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I personally prefer the M&P. It fits my hands better than the XD variety. Honestly, it pretty well comes down to your personal preference. Have you handled both?

It also seems to me that the bore axis of the M&P sits a little lower than the XD which reduces the felt recoil.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    The M&P hands down! Ergonomics, a true combat gun (no external safety's) fit function the .40 cal M&P has about the same recoil as most 9 mm, they are really great guns! Hope this helps! and good luck with your quest!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Can't go wrong with either. Both are excellent handguns. Just personal preference.

Since you asked: Between those two I would get the XD, only because I do not like anything about the m&p. Nothing wrong with it, just not for me.

Honestly though, both are great and would serve you well. Handle them both and go with what feels best to you.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The M&P hands down! Ergonomics, a true combat gun (no external safety's) fit function the .40 cal M&P has about the same recoil as most 9 mm, they are really great guns! Hope this helps! and good luck with your quest!

Thats good, i would think that would help with accuracy. The M&P sure is talked about pretty highley.

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    I carried an XD (not XDM) .40 for 3 years. I put a few thousand rounds through it and was very proficient with it. I picked up my buddies M&P .40 one day and shot a box of 50 through it. I now own 0 XD's and 4 M&P's. Never went back to the XD after shooting his.

Ergonomically it is the ****. Fits like a glove and feels like it belongs in your hand. I was never truly comfortable with the XD, but shot it enough that I became adapt to it. The M&P recoils straight back as to where the XD seems to try and jump out of your hand. I dont know why, but the upward recoil of the XD was far more than that of the M&P.

Most of the EDC guns that I own are in .40. I like the caliber, I have fine tuned a lot of carry/competition/plinking loads in this caliber and have found that the M&P will handle them the best. Even the hotter major power factor USPSA loads shoot smoother through it.

All I can offer you is what I have come across. Yes, the triggers are garbage and it takes an $89 Apex kit to fix them but it is worth it to me. If you leave the stock trigger setup in there it is something that you will be able to become accustom to with minimal range time. I just like to tinker with everything I own, so I picked up a few kits for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I personally like the feel of the XDm better, but to each there own... the M&P didn't feel bad at all, just not quite as nice to me... plus I don't have to sink an extra $90 in a new gun for a decent trigger. but that's just me... I agree with everyone else, either will serve you well.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I've carried my M&P40c daily for the past two years+. It's been a natural pointer from the moment I picked it up. It's ran flawless for the same amount of time. For a .40 it's felt recoil is surprisingly managable. It's felt like an extension of my hand from day one, not knocking the qualities of any other reputable manufacturer, but this has been my "one" since I picked it up. Yes, I've got plenty of other guns that I also love, but this is my daily carry, and it serves it's purpose very well for me.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I like my XD40SC I have looked a lot at the M&P's and I think my next EDC is going to be a Sig. It's hard to say what you should get just go handle and maybe shoot as many as possible!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My first EDC decision came down to a choice between the M&P and XDm. It really was a coin toss, so when I flipped, it came up XDm. There was just something about the XD I liked better. I've had it for about 3 or so years now and have been extremely satisfied. It's been reliable, fun to shoot, and easy to maintain.

Hope that helps, good luck.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I carried an XD (not XDM) .40 for 3 years. I put a few thousand rounds through it and was very proficient with it. I picked up my buddies M&P .40 one day and shot a box of 50 through it. I now own 0 XD's and 4 M&P's. Never went back to the XD after shooting his.

Ergonomically it is the shnit. Fits like a glove and feels like it belongs in your hand. I was never truly comfortable with the XD, but shot it enough that I became adapt to it. The M&P recoils straight back as to where the XD seems to try and jump out of your hand. I dont know why, but the upward recoil of the XD was far more than that of the M&P.

Most of the EDC guns that I own are in .40. I like the caliber, I have fine tuned a lot of carry/competition/plinking loads in this caliber and have found that the M&P will handle them the best. Even the hotter major power factor USPSA loads shoot smoother through it.

All I can offer you is what I have come across. Yes, the triggers are garbage and it takes an $89 Apex kit to fix them but it is worth it to me. If you leave the stock trigger setup in there it is something that you will be able to become accustom to with minimal range time. I just like to tinker with everything I own, so I picked up a few kits for them.

I have heard the Apex system mentioned several times on here. Can you tell me what the system does to the trigger?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks for all the info fellas. I have held an Xdm it felt good, but I still need to hold M&P. I like the design of the M&P thats for sure. I dont really like the idea of sinking money into it for a trigger but if the M&P feels better in my hand I wouldnt mind doing it. I love the .40S&W round I have a DH40 now and recoil is managable with the .40. i think its a perfect blend from 9mm to .45acp. More stopping power than the 9mm but not as rediculously expensive as .45acp. Im going to try and head to a local shop and handle the M&P and see how it feels.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    If you're going to go stock, my vote goes for XD(m) all the way. If you're willing to modify the trigger for an extra $100-ish, I'd say M&P.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the grips on the M&P, it feels like trying to hold onto an oval. That being said though, I'm the only one in the world that feels that way evidently, and it does come with interchangeable back-straps of different sizes.

I carried an XD40sc for about a year, carrying an M&P40c recently.

Both are excellent firearms and both will serve you well.

Top Bottom