• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdbran01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    I've recently purchased a M&P AR-15 and I'm new to AR platforms. Does anyone regularly shoot steel cases through there M&P or should I stick to Brass?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    i agree theres nothing wrong with steel casd ammo.
    besides the increased chance of a stuck case? the steel doesnt expand like a brass case does. therefore carbon gets in-between said steel case and chamber, causing problems. the softer brass expands fully making that a non-issue.

youll get a stuck bolt running steel long before you do running brass. but then i guess that depends on how much you intend on shooting the rifle / designated purpose.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I was once in a carbine class where I saw five out of eleven AR's jam while using steel cased ammo. I know for a fact two of them were Spikes and one was an M&P.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    besides the increased chance of a stuck case? the steel doesnt expand like a brass case does. therefore carbon gets in-between said steel case and chamber, causing problems. the softer brass expands fully making that a non-issue.

youll get a stuck bolt running steel long before you do running brass. but then i guess that depends on how much you intend on shooting the rifle / designated purpose.

Carbon builds up in that same spot with all ammo. This is the reason you clean your rifle. Also, have you ever measured the expansion difference between a steel case and a brass case? Or are you just repeating the usual hearsay?

I was once in a carbine class where I saw five out of eleven AR's jam while using steel cased ammo. I know for a fact two of them were Spikes and one was an M&P.

I can believe this, but the question is whether or not those AR's were jamming previous to the class. I'm sure out of the sake of saving humiliation those AR owners said, "I've never had problems with this until running steel cases.", however you don't know what's really been going through that AR or when the last cleaning was done. :twocents:

I've seen and shot hundreds of rounds of Tula through a Colt, Superior Arms, and a Rock River with no jams, no extraction issues, no stuck cases. I could go on and on with problems you could experience that I haven't. To each their own, but I've never had a single problem running steel cases. That's also to say I've never experienced anything but a double feed with brass cases, which was a mag problem.

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    If you shoot brass, lay out a tarp to catch it. Even if you don't reload, you can sell the brass to people who do. It would help make up the cost difference between the brass and the steel ammo.

Top Bottom