• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I was flipping through the channels tonight, and happened to stop on the BBC news. They were reporting on all the recent ships (including a 1,080 ft Saudi supertanker) which had been commandeered by Somali pirates recently. They went through a laundry list of anti-piracy implements with which the ships might soon be outfitted: "...high-pressure water hoses, noise-making devices, electrified barbed wire, and, [get this!] as an absolute last resort, armed guards."

Brilliant.

.:wallbash:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If i was forced to run ships through there, you better believe I'd have people armed to protect my interests. Last resort. What morons.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I am somewhat surprised that this is a Saudi vessel. I've never considered Saudis to be the kind of folks that have much hesitancy to kill people. Maybe there is a French company contracting for supertanker security? :D

Seriously, if anything leads to the destruction of a society, it is cowardice in the face of evil. These pirates should have been blown upon the water before even getting close enough to board the supertanker.

I agree, until the bodies start piling up from failed attempts then nothing is going to make them think twice. They have to make it so it is too risky and the success rate of taking the ships is improbable.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Today it was reported that the usual, trained, response is to surrender if they open up with AK's. If need be, drop them a ladder to board your ship.

Oh, man....

How about .50's on mounts ready to hammer?! Not hard to do, or difficult to make happen.

The whole world has gone stupid.

And last week when Blackwater mentioned creating a security force for the area, one official stated, "We don't want to make this the wild west here!"

Yeah, umm...maybe you missed the news, you are already there...

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    :dunno:Some people/countries will never learn! Some people just need :ar15: but, until everybody is done being afraid getting someone's feelings all butt-hurt, it will continue, and we'll continue to pay the price! (don't think 2 million hijacked barrels of oil aren't gonna cost us!)

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If i was forced to run ships through there, you better believe I'd have people armed to protect my interests. Last resort. What morons.

Laws forbid it or make it almost impossible... for anyone who hasn't travelled the high seas every country has different laws and regulations for firearms on boats for citizens, much less foreigners. Foreign companies are required to go thru almost impossible hoops for EACH country they port or dock in. For many of these countries forms must be filled out each time and inspections made or weapons surrendered while in port ect. ect.

It's insanity yes, but the threat of piracy vs being locked in some 3rd world crap hole jail keep smost from arming themselves.

Sad, but thats how it is. I'm sure insurance regulations are part of it not to mention some antigun corporate nazi who sits behind a desk with a dozen armed guards outside his door.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Since when is there any greater natural enemy of the pirate than the ninja? :dunno:
    They should be like the trunk monkey of shipping. :mallninja:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Robbing someone is not about property, the same as rape is not about sex. It is about power, control and taking a person's freedom and dignity. If one is not willing to defend their own freedom and dignity, then they may as well submit to the barbarians as their slaves and whores.:+1:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    The Constitution of the United States authorized Congress to grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal. While there exists a treaty prohibiting such things, the US is not a signatory to that treaty.

The issuance of a few Letters of Marque to US flagged vessels for the suppression of piracy combined with prize rules and/or an outright bounty on pirates, would, I expect go a long way toward solving the pirate problem.

Unfortunately, Pelosi's crowd would never go for it. They'd much rather "understand" the pirates and "feel their pain." :xmad:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Laws forbid it or make it almost impossible... for anyone who hasn't travelled the high seas every country has different laws and regulations for firearms on boats for citizens, much less foreigners. Foreign companies are required to go thru almost impossible hoops for EACH country they port or dock in. For many of these countries forms must be filled out each time and inspections made or weapons surrendered while in port ect. ect.

It's insanity yes, but the threat of piracy vs being locked in some 3rd world crap hole jail keep smost from arming themselves.

Sad, but thats how it is. I'm sure insurance regulations are part of it not to mention some antigun corporate nazi who sits behind a desk with a dozen armed guards outside his door.

There is a simple solution, we put U.S. Coastguard personnel on our ships, and have the companies pay for their services. Our military can go into almost any port.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    They went through a laundry list of anti-piracy implements with which the ships might soon be outfitted: "...high-pressure water hoses, noise-making devices, electrified barbed wire, and, [get this!] as an absolute last resort, armed guards."

I really like the idea of noise makers!!! I think we should all help out on this. Everyone should go to their local dollar store, buy some party favors, and we can mail them to the ships who are serious about protecting their assets. :dunno:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    ""He said 17 vessels remain in the hands of pirates along with more than 300 crew members, including a Ukrainian ship loaded with weapons and a Saudi Arabian supertanker carrying $100 million in crude.""

Impressive really. Who would of thought that men who can't spell their own name, refuse the evils of using soap and prefer man-on-man ship love; in reality, could organize, take and hold a ship containing $100 mil in crude?!

we need these guys on our Southern Border... 'contractors'

Last edited:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    mettle, men like that are called pirates. Always have been. The only way to defeat them is to have more guns than them.

Besides, it doesn't really take much for armed men to attack unarmed men with no where to run. Heck, these pirates have a pretty safe/lucrative gig going.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    They need snipers and miniguns and this would stop quick after word got out that you turn into swiss cheese if you try this crap.

minigun.gif
    snipe.gif

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    mettle, men like that are called pirates. Always have been. The only way to defeat them is to have more guns than them.

Besides, it doesn't really take much for armed men to attack unarmed men with no where to run. Heck, these pirates have a pretty safe/lucrative gig going.

I readily understand what a 'pirate' is. :rolleyes: so much for fun and interesting conversation.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Saudis need to hire Blackwater guys to fix their problems.

A few shipping companies have used BW in a limited capacity in the past according to what BBC news has written in the past about the issue of modern day piracy, but most choose not to hire them because they are cost prohibitive. And yes, I realize that the idea of it being cost prohibitive is moot when the current vessel being hijacked happens to be your vessel.

I know that we practiced hostile boarding prevention drills when I was in the Navy from 1989-1994 that would start with 1MC (PA) announcements with warnings to the potential boarders and then progressed to men on the sides with firehoses to repel boarders, ending with the Marine detachment onboard standing by with 12 gauge shotguns, .45's, and manning the .50 cal's.

I think that the shipping companies WILL begin to upgrade their security with armed parties onboard or smaller vessels that trail the larger vessels as they near ports with known piracy issues to provide some measure of protection, but I consider it like online computer security - they will only take measures that give a look of security when in reality it does little or nothing to solve the problem of being vulnerable to groups of people that are the least bit organized to commit illegal acts.

Top Bottom