• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TripleL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    The Rockies
    I'm new to the forum so I don't know if this has been discussed before.

Is an Indiana LTCH linked to a driver's license? Does an LEO know that you have a license to carry when making a traffic stop and assume that you're carrying a firearm and therefore be more cautious? I have an NRA sticker on my car's rear window so, duh....what would they think?

Another question: Is there a law in Indiana that requires you to tell the officer who makes the traffic stop that you have a firearm in your possession? I read that Texas has a law requiring you to do so. I know for a fact that Carmel does not require you to volunteer that information because I asked...although I was told nicely that "it would be appreciated if you did". Anyway, I'll always be on the LEO's side so it's no big deal.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    LTCH is not linked to driver's license and there is no duty to inform in Indiana. Both have been discussed and the informing preferences vary widely.

:welcome: to INGO.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    LTCH is not linked to driver's license and there is no duty to inform in Indiana. Both have been discussed and the informing preferences vary widely.

:welcome: to INGO.
    I agree completely and even though there is no duty to inform, I have always just handed my LTCH to the officer along with my license when he asked for the DL. It's a non-aggressive way of letting him/her know that you're carrying, or at least prompting him/her to ask the question. I know opinions on this vary here, and that many folks say they don't inform because they don't have to - which I respect - but I try to look at it from the LEO's perspective, and I would want to know that a firearm is in the car. The LEOs that I have dealt with have been very appreciative that I volunteered the information, and usually just say thanks. One officer who pulled me over for not wearing my seat belt asked me where the gun was, and kinda chuckled when I said, "actually, it's guns. One on my right hip, one in the console and two in my range bag in the back." He said, "what, no thermonuclear weapons?" I said I was still waiting on that permit. He laughed again and let me go with a warning.

Then again, the whole process is probably silly for me to go through, since I have TACTICAL FIREARMS TRAINING graphics all over my truck!! LOL

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    From personal experince I was pulled over for speeding about 2 years ago and during the time I only had a LTCH permit but did not find the right carry gun yet. The officer did not ask about any firearms and just ask why I was speeding and wrote a ticket. I would assume if LTCH and Drivers license were linked he would have asked to secure my carry piece, which I didn't even have anyway.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    In the county I live (Vanderburgh) the information is linked. When you apply for the LTCH, the information is shared within the county. This is not true for the entire state, just the county I live in.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    In the county I live (Vanderburgh) the information is linked. When you apply for the LTCH, the information is shared within the county. This is not true for the entire state, just the county I live in.
    That's interesting! I didn't realize that any Indiana counties did that! How do you feel about it? I don't think it's a huge deal, but it sounds a little "big brother-ish" to me.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Looks like your specific questions were answered above.

I'll go ahead and recommend you purchase and read the following book: Amazon.com: Indiana Handgun Law (9780978627690): Bryan Lee Ciyou: Books

I've not seen/heard anybody question/dispute anything in this book. I read it and found it to be very informative. I think that anybody who owns a handgun in Indiana should definitely read it.
    I agree! I just picked up the 2d Edition at the last Indy 1500. It really is a great resourse, Another alternative is the Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law course offered by TFT. Check out Home Page. (Shamless pitch!) ;)

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    In Hendricks County we can run handgun permits from the in car computer. Not sure but I believe it is through a state data base. But with our current computer system it only works about 50% of the time. As stated an Indiana OLN check does not show if the person has a permit.

As a LEO I am in disagreement with some other posters. I recommend not telling the officer you are carrying. I see no reason to complicate things. Some LEO's get a little excited about people and guns and you never know what type you inform. Some guys like to be told so the choice is yours. If the stop goes to the point you are asked to exit the vehicle then I would notify the officer. My mindset is I always assume everyone is armed. I am not the least bit uncomfortable with a person lawfully carrying a weapon.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Several LEOs have answered this. I know that the individual LEAs often add LTCH application info into their specific county's RMS (Records Management System), but that applies more to addresses than vehicle stops. In addition, while the BMV does not have the LTCH list, the officers are able to log in to ISP and check the validity of a LTCH at roadside. Can any officer confirm that this is or is not done through the same site as is used to do the online LTCH application in 25 counties?

No real reason to ask, I just know that there's much more to that site than just the LTCH application. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lake County, Town of Munster
    So I am a licensed amateur radio operator and have a scanner, along with a Motorola Spectra in my vehicle.

I love listening to PD and FD.

From what I hear, I don't know if this is statewide or county or what, but on some traffic stops, the police will give the DRIVER license information over the radio (10-27), and she will read back (usually) "Negative, valid, 0" meaning no warrants, valid license, no points. But when someone has a LTCH, she will inform the officer after the "negative,valid,0" and say "he also has a gun permit".

I heard one time the officer just ran the gun's serial, came back ONLY negative (thank god for no gun registration in Indiana!) and that was it. And another officer was going to be in route when dispatch informed the officer that had the guy pulled over, but he told him "No, no everything is fine" (basically saying I Don't need another officer!)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    From what I hear, I don't know if this is statewide or county or what, but on some traffic stops, the police will give the DRIVER license information over the radio (10-27), and she will read back (usually) "Negative, valid, 0" meaning no warrants, valid license, no points. But when someone has a LTCH, she will inform the officer after the "negative,valid,0" and say "he also has a gun permit".

Once again, RMS comes into play. I suppose it is possible that, given the DL info, the dispatcher is checking the ISP website for a valid LTCH, but a LEO would have to answer that for certain. Since I'm not one, I've never seen it.

Blessings,
    Bill

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lake County, Town of Munster
    Once again, RMS comes into play. I suppose it is possible that, given the DL info, the dispatcher is checking the ISP website for a valid LTCH, but a LEO would have to answer that for certain. Since I'm not one, I've never seen it.

Blessings,
    Bill

Most of the time, since this isn't a "busy" area for major activity, the officer usually gives the vehicle info and drive info over the radio rather than using his MDT (which is actually a tough book with a Verizon card). And I think the state of Indiana uses Spillman statewide, but I am not 100% sure on that. I know this area uses it.

TFB53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Muncie
    I was pulled over for speeding in Miami county on US 31 by a county officer. The speed limit had changed from 60 to 50 and I did not see the signs. I had my drivers license and carry permit in hand when he got to my truck , he took both and looked them over. He told me why he pulled me over and ask if I had a weapon with me. I told him I did. He ask where it was and I informed that one was in the console and there were four more in a range bag behind the seat. He said thanks and went to his car. He was there for what seemed a long time to me and I was expecting a ticket. I kept my left hand out the window and my right hand on the steering wheel at 12 o'clock. He returned to my truck , handed me a warning and said ' Thank you for telling me your are carrying , even thought you are not required to do so by law , have a nice weekend ." The officer never ask to see my guns ask about loaded , unloaded and seemed very comfortable about the situation. I will always feel my permit and my actions saved me an expensive ticket.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A small, 2"X3" bright, safety yellow sticker adorns the drivers door of both my vehicles, and reads as follows:

Notice
    Driver is loaded.

Insert image of 1911 here
    "The owner/operator of this vehicle is licensed to carry a concealed weapon.
    USE APPROPRIATE CAUTION."

I don't think there is much question in my case. All the officer needs do is read!:D

Top Bottom