• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    O.K. I'm looking for some advice.

My nephew applied for his LTCH last August and has STILL not received his license.

He applied via L1 at the beginning of August last year.
    He did have a problem with his application. I pulled up the on-line application and he sat in my living room and filled it out.
    I told him to check it over before submitting it. He looked it over and I did too.

He hit submit, and waited for the L1 page to load to schedule his fingerprinting. When the page was done loading he made his appointment for the prints. After he scheduled his printing, I told him I would print off his application so he would have a hard copy.
    It was after I printed his already submitted application that he realized he had made a mistake. He listed himself as black. He is white.

I told him to contact the police department and ask what to do.
    The sheriff's office told him to come into the station. They said it was no problem, and said they had corrected his application before he left.

The state police cashed his money order at the end of September last year, but STILL no license.

He has called twice and was told both times "Just be patient".

He DID have a DUI as a youngster, but was told by the state police that it would not prevent him from obtaining his license.

My question is this. Should he contact the state police again and ask for his money back?
    I told him it seems to me that he has fallen through the cracks. I told him if it were me I think I might ask for my money back and re-submit a different application.

I know this would put him back at the end of the line, but something needs to happen. There is no good reason that it should take 10 months to process a license application. They have NOT denied him. They just keep telling him to wait.

Is there an appeal process for inaction on the part of the issuing authority?

I told him it MAY put a burr in their saddle if he demands a refund.

What does Ingo think? Hey Kirk, what to do from here? :dunno:

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Tell him to contact the police department and when they say be patient tell him to politely say he has been waiting since last August. Make sure he has proof of this. If they refuse to do anything, appeal it or take it up with a more experienced law professional. I applied for one at the beginning of September and didnt recieve it until Christmas Eve. There has been a huge spike in applications due to our wonderful friends in the White House trying to make the world "safer" which has lead to a massive delay in permits being approved. Unlike most states, indiana doesn't have a law requiring they approve/deny a permit application in a timely manner.

Bottom line is he should have received it by now so he needs to be contacting someone. Personally I'd be rather upset at the delay.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Tell him to contact the police department and when they say be patient tell him to politely say he has been waiting since last August. Make sure he has proof of this. If they refuse to do anything, appeal it or take it up with a more experienced law professional. I applied for one at the beginning of September and didnt recieve it until Christmas Eve. There has been a huge spike in applications due to our wonderful friends in the White House trying to make the world "safer" which has lead to a massive delay in permits being approved. Unlike most states, indiana doesn't have a law requiring they approve/deny a permit application in a timely manner.

Bottom line is he should have received it by now so he needs to be contacting someone. Personally I'd be rather upset at the delay.

That's not quite true. I can't quote the law (although I'm sure someone else will be along to do so) but they have 60 days to approve or deny an application. Seems no one (at least that I'm aware of) has challenged that recently.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I would contact the State Police.
    I would remain calm and polite.
    I would state the length of time.
    And if they try to put me off, I would ask to speak to a supervisor.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    That's not quite true. I can't quote the law (although I'm sure someone else will be along to do so) but they have 60 days to approve or deny an application. Seems no one (at least that I'm aware of) has challenged that recently.

I've read the 60 day deny/approve a few times myself and wonder why people don't get together on this and see what can be done. Maybe a class action suit to make the state live up to their own rules. I realize they could just deny everyone involved and then take their time with appeals.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Yep!

OP: please have him file a lawsuit against the state. Ill be happy to chip in some money for lawyers fees. As will probly afew hundred people on INGO!

The state makes us follow the law well it's time for them to be forced by the courts to do the same thing. And that's what they are doing is breaking the law.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I've read the 60 day deny/approve a few times myself and wonder why people don't get together on this and see what can be done. Maybe a class action suit to make the state live up to their own rules. I realize they could just deny everyone involved and then take their time with appeals.

Then they would not only have appeals, but they would have lawsuits waiting for them. State can only deny a person that does not fit the criteria for a proper person.

IC 35-47-2-6
    Granting or rejecting initial application; renewals
    Sec. 6. (a) Every initial application for any license under this chapter shall be granted or rejected within sixty (60) days after the application is filed.
    (b) The period during which an application for the renewal of an existing license may be filed begins three hundred sixty-five (365) days before the expiration of the existing license. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically extended until the application for renewal is passed upon.

That is the IC that Indiana is failing to follow. I had mine in 8 days, but that was normal since L1 was just unrolling.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Amen! As states above. Lets band together and sue the **** out of them. I don't care about money, I care about setting a precident that forces them to hurry the hell up like the law states so citizens of Indiana can legaly (by indiana law) defend themselves on the streets against criminals!

Then lets pass constitutional carry this next legislative session and ditch the unconstitutional LTCH requirement all together.

There's strength in numbers folks!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Wow! I asked for advice, not financial help!

You guys/gals are great.
    I've emailed my nephew with the provided Indiana code, and instructions on whom to contact. I've also advised him to ask for a supervisor if given ANY type of run-around.

I'm actually the one that keeps pushing him about it. He's young, and afraid to push buttons of "officials".
    I'm a lot older, and these days I kind of get a kick out of pushing peoples buttons.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and say they could have "lost" his application, however, he still has a copy of the cancelled money order that the state cashed some 10 months ago.

I told him I want to know about it if he does not have his LTCH in his possession by the end of next week (6-29-13). That would give them two more full weeks if he makes contact tomorrow.

I don't see or hear from him often, but each time I do I ask him about it.This time it pissed me off.

Thanks again Ingo. I'll be sure to keep you updated on his "progress".

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Wow! I asked for advice, not financial help!

You guys/gals are great.
    I've emailed my nephew with the provided Indiana code, and instructions on whom to contact. I've also advised him to ask for a supervisor if given ANY type of run-around.

I'm actually the one that keeps pushing him about it. He's young, and afraid to push buttons of "officials".
    I'm a lot older, and these days I kind of get a kick out of pushing peoples buttons.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and say they could have "lost" his application, however, he still has a copy of the cancelled money order that the state cashed some 10 months ago.

I told him I want to know about it if he does not have his LTCH in his possession by the end of next week (6-29-13). That would give them two more full weeks if he makes contact tomorrow.

I don't see or hear from him often, but each time I do I ask him about it.This time it pissed me off.

Thanks again Ingo. I'll be sure to keep you updated on his "progress".

Sometimes people do things that are about something bigger than them, not you I guess.

It's not about giving you financial assistance it's about getting someone with balls big enough to file a lawsuit on behalf of the rest of us. Me an others here can't do it because we already possess the LTCH. So someone is needed who is currently being held up to do it.
    Besides once you post on here even start a thread it's not yours anymore it belongs to whoever wants to join in and discuss.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sometimes people do things that are about something bigger than them, not you I guess.

It's not about giving you financial assistance it's about getting someone with balls big enough to file a lawsuit on behalf of the rest of us. Me an others here can't do it because we already possess the LTCH. So someone is needed who is currently being held up to do it.
    Besides once you post on here even start a thread it's not yours anymore it belongs to whoever wants to join in and discuss.

I understand you don't know me, so I'm going to let the remark of a lack of testicular fortitude slide. I would like to point out a few things though.

I can't do it either, I've had my lifetime license since 3 months after they were first offered. I would "have no standing."

I wrote in my original post that my nephew is young, and doesn't like to push buttons.
    I also wrote that I've been the one pushing him about this.

I do understand the "something bigger than them" mantra.
    I volunteer to teach the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) one Saturday a month, and have for three years.
    I've given away free firearms on this very site, two just last month, to promote the shooting sports for kids.

What have you done lately that was "bigger than yourself"?

Discussion is fine, great as a matter of fact. I posted asking for advice, and I got a bunch of good advice, and I got your suggestion too.

You'll excuse me now as I summarily dismiss any further denigration from the peanut gallery.

A sincere Thank you to all who have replied respectfully.

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    I understand you don't know me, so I'm going to let the remark of a lack of testicular fortitude slide. I would like to point out a few things though.

I can't do it either, I've had my lifetime license since 3 months after they were first offered. I would "have no standing."

I wrote in my original post that my nephew is young, and doesn't like to push buttons.

I volunteer to teach the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) one Saturday a month, and have for three years.
    I've given away free firearms on this very site, two just last month, to promote the shooting sports for kids.

Discussion is fine, great as a matter of fact. I posted asking for advice, and I got a bunch of good advice, and I got your suggestion too.

You'll excuse me now as I summarily dismiss any further denigration from the peanut gallery.

:popcorn: Crash and burn lol, nice.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville

Not sure if that was aimed at MGDERF, but if it was, it was uncalled for. He's a stand-up guy. He did me a solid a while back, and I was a complete stranger. From what I've read, I'm not the only one.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Contact the department that processed his paper work.

I waited 4 months before I called my police department. The lady that handled my paperwork told me she would look up my file and then call me back. About 5 minutes she called me back apologizing that she had failed to transmit my info to the state correctly and that she called the state to see if they could bump me to the front of the line.

5 days later I received my LTCH in the mail :D

Maybe something trivial happened to him?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

No not personal towards you. I'm just saying I wish someone waiting for their LTCH would do it. There's no reason not to. I wish I could.
    That's great what your doing for the gun community.
    I'm just also saying that your post sparks discussion that hopefully will get the state off their asses to follow the law.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    I put my application in for a LTCH in late December, and got it in March. I would guess his application fell through the cracks somehow. Should have gotten it by now.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011

or ever...i waited 5 months for mine...five years ago! should i have teken the state to court? i want my frackin payout!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom