• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Times must be hard, people must be desperate. I've never had so many lowball offers on here. I'm not sure if they can't afford what they want to buy, or if they are trying to buy cheap to sell for a profit. Maybe they think EVERYONE selling on here desperately needs the money? Anything I sell/trade goes back into my "gun fund". Gun collecting/shooting/hunting, etc is not a PROFIT hobby. I don't know why so many people think they can make a buck slitting another hobbyist's throat. The concepts of "Pay it forward",etc are long gone. It's like herpes, a guy buys a used Glock and throws it up for $550. Next thing you know, everyone is trying to buy $400 Glocks and list them for $550. It's that 95% of people....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Times must be hard, people must be desperate. I've never had so many lowball offers on here. I'm not sure if they can't afford what they want to buy, or if they are trying to buy cheap to sell for a profit. Maybe they think EVERYONE selling on here desperately needs the money? Anything I sell/trade goes back into my "gun fund". Gun collecting/shooting/hunting, etc is not a PROFIT hobby. I don't know why so many people think they can make a buck slitting another hobbyist's throat. The concepts of "Pay it forward",etc are long gone. It's like herpes, a guy buys a used Glock and throws it up for $550. Next thing you know, everyone is trying to buy $400 Glocks and list them for $550. It's that 95% of people....

im just trying to buya 400 dollar glock to put in a glovebox

piper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    I bought a gen 3 G27 with night sights for $425 awhile back. I agree with you though way to many people trying to make a profit. I'm going through school right now so my gun funds are limited. With that being said I never try to low ball people, if I have a certain amount of cash and the asking price is close sure I will offer it politely but never do it to resell and make a few bucks.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    "Yeah, but I can get one from Bud's for $xxx.xx!" And so on.

It's not just Glocks people shamelessly low-ball on. I hate to say it, but there are a few rotten POS in the gun owning community. They'd feel just fine ripping off their own relatives if they can make $5. Do you think they'd care about insulting a stranger?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's not just this site. Everyone seems to be looking for a "deal". I have some car parts for sale. 50% off, new in sealed package and I get low balled on that? Sorry, but I'll throw the $50 filter in the trash before I will take the time to go to the post office put it in a box, pay $11.35 to ship it and have someone only pay me $25 for it. My time is worth much more than that.

"A good deal is when both parties win."

That said, I recently bought a Ruger Mk II on here and I think I got a fair deal and hopefully the seller was happy with his selling price. If he is, then I consider that a "good deal"!

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    Lowball offers are just that...offers. I don't ever expect to get my asking price for items I have for sale. I do make counter offers on lowball offers. It's the nature of the beast, love it or hate it.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Glocks == Herpes? Not a Glock guy, but that seems a little harsh :draw:

Where did I put Glock = Herpes?

I used Glocks as an example.

I see it with almost every hobby. Buy cheap and try to make a buck, but then when it inflates the market or whatever, they ALL complain about high prices....

It's the steady decline of civiliziation.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Lowball offers are just that...offers. I don't ever expect to get my asking price for items I have for sale. I do make counter offers on lowball offers. It's the nature of the beast, love it or hate it.

Tru dat! I am in sales, so negotiation is part of the game. And if you shoot me a lowball and totally unreasonable offer, you can expect me to counter very, very close to my asking price. If you make an offer, say, 10-15 % under my asking price, I will consider it and if I don't accept it, come back with a reasonable counter offer. *

*I have a mini fridge for sale. $100 new. $75 asking price. Got an offer for $50 but they "had" to pick it up right away. I couldn't be around then, and since the fridge is in the package, never opened, I just replied:"Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass." Had he offered $60-65, I would have accepted if he could pick it up later.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Gun collecting/shooting/hunting, etc is not a PROFIT hobby

Ummm, yeah, that's right especially to all you employees of the IRS and IDoR.

Yeah, no one on INGO has any idea abou the fantastic deals that happen every day . . . . when you do your homework.

View From The Porch: Gun show find...

Next thing you know, everyone is trying to buy $400 Glocks and list them for $550.

Who would pay that much for a Glock?

Come on, let's see some class A haggling out there!

You know, you don't have to accept. You can say no.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

I research my sales carefully, ask a fair price for what I am selling, and put in no uncertain terms that offers below my asking price will be ignored. If I need to sell something in a hurry, it gets a lower price. I have tried to structure my life to not need money in a hurry like that though, so I am perfectly happy with not selling it for however long it takes. This weeds out having to deal with the people who try to make a sport out of getting as low a price as they can, whether they are actually intending to buy or not. I've had people get seriously offended that I won't sell them my gun at 25% below my asking price like I somehow "owe" them anything at all. Yeah buddy, I really want to do business with someone like that...

I also stand behind anything I sell and if there's any issues with it I spell it out clearly before the sale, and in the very few instances where there has been an issue, like I sold a GSG 1911 .22lr recently that had an internal part broken I didn't know about, I offered to get it repaired on my dime and time or to give the money back. In that case I ordered two of the broken part (safety lever) and one of the other side and gave them to the person who bought it along with a link to how to do the simple repair (I offered to fix it for him).

I've had more of my time wasted by people trying to wheel and deal so that I just ignore them now.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I have bought a couple of things off the classifieds here for VERY reasonable amounts. I can't speak for others, obviously, but I never buy anything with the sole intent to resell it. *shrugs* I am buying because I want it.

On the other hand, there are also folks here who ask a higher than NIB price for their gun with 5000 rounds through it (not speaking about the OP, obviously, as I have no idea what he has up for sale at the moment). If someone offers a more "reasonable" amount, I suppose that could be considered lowballing by the person who has the item up for sale.

A bit of haggling should be expected with buying and selling. Don't get offended, just counter with a bit less than your original asking price and come back at them.

Most people do a lot of research these days, I think, and usually have a fairly good idea of what the market is.

Of course, I will also admit that there are those who will try anything to 'get one up' on some one else. And those do make the rest of us look bad.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Do you make sure to list that the price is non-negotiable and not to message you for that purpose?

The only time I will barter to get the price lowered on something is when it's new. Even then I won't generally try to get more than 5% lower unless the said company has really jacked the price because the TV said something that scared people. Luckily, in the past 3 years I've not payed what I would to be considered an excessive amount for any firearm.

4 years ago, Oh yes, I paid, and I paid far far more than I ever should have.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Its the nature of guns, you always negotiate. Not to mention, go to a gunshow lately and look at the INSANE pricing. $400 LCP's, $600 glocks, give me a break.

Top Bottom