• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    So I know alot of people have night sights installed on their carry piece, but I started wondering.

How many of us carry some form of light in conjunction with our carry weapons? I carry a small LED penlight that stays clipped to my holster. Anyone else?

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    My carry holster will hold an extra mag, instead of a mag I carry a flashlight in the pouch

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i always have a flashlight with me when i am out. it is a streamlight microstream. nothing fancy, but i love it. it gets the job done, has a pocket clip and is small enough to carry all day everyday and not notice it is there. i also have a maglite in my truck and a light on my nightstand next to my bed.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I carry a flashliht with me, if I know i'm going to be out at night. One in the car, living room, and bedroom. I have talked to several leo's, who say and I agree it's better to blind an assailant. Then rely on night sites. Also I have been told in very dark locations, with no moon, steet lights etc. That they are basicly worthless. I would rather have a good light personaly.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I almost always have my Streamlight Strion LED or Streamlight Super-tac with me.

If not, pew pew, burn out your eyes with my(to quote Dr Evil) "frickin laserbeams"

Picture0000.jpg

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I am always carrying some combination of: olight m20, nitecore ndi, and olight aaa pocket light. Adding a nitecore extreme at the end of the week. I also have a d cell mag light and a dynamo light in each auto. I keep various lights in backpacks and my b.o.e. and of course various lights around the house.

Oh no I am starting to sound like rhino. Lol.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Someone who carries a gun, spare mag, and knife but no light is saying that they just don't get it. You will need to see many more things than you will need to shoot or cut. I also think that night sights are a waste of money on defensive pistols. At best you many be able to see a flash of them for the first round, after that forget it. Ask me how I know:)

Something else that annoys me even more is when someone carries a pistol with a light on it without having another light on them. Too often people end up using it as a light with a gun attached instead of a gun with a light attached. I prefer to use a light independently. But people just love to bolt stuff to their rifles so why not bolt a bunch of stuff to your pistol.- A few more ounces of tactikewl can never hurt right.- George

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I got a surefire backup a year or two ago for my birthday. It is always in my pocket and gets used daily. The tailcap needed to be replaced at about a year and I was going nuts for the couple of weeks I didn't have it. I use it as much if not more than I use my pocket knife.

Best,

Joe

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I EDC a Surefire E1e with either a Red or a Blue light filter...

Something to think about is if you suspect a bad guy is around after dark, why use a white light... Just tells someone right where you are and where you are going.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Something else that annoys me even more is when someone carries a pistol with a light on it without having another light on them. Too often people end up using it as a light with a gun attached instead of a gun with a light attached. I prefer to use a light independently. But people just love to bolt stuff to their rifles so why not bolt a bunch of stuff to your pistol.- A few more ounces of tactikewl can never hurt right.- George

i agree with the weapon mounted light issue. i prefer a different handheld light. i am not saying there is anything wrong with a weapon mounted light, i just think the person needs some training with it to make sure they know how to use it safely.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    If I am dressed, I will always have a Pelicam PM6 on me. Most of my friends are Surefire junkies, but I just can't bring myself to spend more than $30 on a flashlight. Besides, it's hard to beat a warranty that is only voided by bear attack, sharkbite, or damage by a child under the age of 5.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Should I even bother responding in this topic? :D

To the question "which is the best?" the only meaninful answer is "the one you have with you." Too much depends on what you need to do, how you plan to do it, what other gear you're using, etc. to say one specific light is the best.

However . . .

Any light that could be considered "the best" should have the following criteria (at a minimum):
    • LED emitter with at least 125 lumens available
    • well-designed reflector that give good "throw" and adequate "spill"
    • momentary "on" capability
    • a way to attach a lanyard if you choose
    • made well enough so you don't have to shake it or hit it on the table to get it work most of the time (this eliminates most of the cheaper offbrand lights made in China, but not all)
    Everything else will be some combination of personal preference, specific needs, and of course the classic "it depends."

Top Bottom