• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I never understood the rules of a "fair fight" that some courts apparently have. What are we suppose to do?

Example-
    Face to face with a felon, and I have a gun but he pulls only a knife. I guess I need to put my gun down and pull my knife out.
    Then he pulls a his gun, well I need to pick my gun back up.
    Then he turns away from me, well I can't shoot him till he turns toward me again.
    Then he faces me but only has a knife showing again, then I drop my gun again just to be fair.

I've seen liberals play this out in conversation and I think it's all bull****. Fair fight my a**.
    I will stop any threat to me, my family, and my friends as I see fit at my disposal.

None of your example is true, and none of it is relevant to this incident.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    None of your example is true, and none of it is relevant to this incident.

I'll admit I didn't read the report.
    Let me guess, he chased him down and shot him in the back. My examples just have more character and flare. The victim did what he could with the resources he had at the time. Sounds like a good shoot. Legally? Maybe not.

Sounds like the court thinks it's not a fair fight. Oh well.:dunno:

Are we suppose to sit on our hands and not get involved and call the police after it's too late? I know that's what they want but hell no. That just keeps the dirtbags in business by not getting caught.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Let me guess, he chased him down and shot him in the back. My examples just have more character and flare.

It doesn't say where he shot him, but yeah, he chased him for over a block. There was no fight. If we want to change the rules to allow the shooting of thieves, I'm game. Let's just be real sure we want to allow Wal-Mart Loss Prevention to shoot shoplifters who flee, etc.

Your examples do have character and flare. They lack accuracy, though. No one says you can only use a knife against a knife wielder, etc. The rules for use of force are "reasonable", not "fair".

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    It doesn't say where he shot him, but yeah, he chased him for over a block. There was no fight. If we want to change the rules to allow the shooting of thieves, I'm game. Let's just be real sure we want to allow Wal-Mart Loss Prevention to shoot shoplifters who flee, etc.

Ya -
    I guess people might frown on a Loss Prevention Sniper posted on the roof. :rolleyes:

Although it would be a great deterrent which is truly something that is lacking in this country.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    And then there's the other intention of tempering DIY justice; The more freedom citizens have to do things like chase down a scumbag and shoot him in the back, the more likely it is for citizens to do things like not realizing the scumbag jumped over a fence and got away and then shooting an innocent person walking down the same alley.

kmoffett71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2015
    Plainfield
    Wow, I agree. Had he caught and shot them in self defense that would be one thing, but chasing them down is nuts. I am terrified I will one day have to use my firearm. I bought it to have protection, but if there is a way to keep from using it it would be best.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Wow, I agree. Had he caught and shot them in self defense that would be one thing, but chasing them down is nuts. I am terrified I will one day have to use my firearm. I bought it to have protection, but if there is a way to keep from using it it would be best.
    I don't condone the actions, but I will say that it is easy for me to sit comfortably in my chair, calm and collected and not take into consideration just how upset, angry and feeling violated a person can be when some thugs break into their home. I'm sure that it is a terrible and terrifying feeling. We ask officers to control their emotions in a fighting situation and do the minimum to contain a suspect. We ask them to withstand insults, taunts and baiting. We cannot ask that much of a citizen. For some folks, turning off the fight mode probably takes longer than others. A neighbor said that they have known the shooter for a long time and he had a reputation for taking up for kids being bullied, etc. That kind of personality trait, probably gets more intensely offended and drawn to action than many others.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I don't condone the actions, but I will say that it is easy for me to sit comfortably in my chair, calm and collected and not take into consideration just how upset, angry and feeling violated a person can be when some thugs break into their home. I'm sure that it is a terrible and terrifying feeling. We ask officers to control their emotions in a fighting situation and do the minimum to contain a suspect. We ask them to withstand insults, taunts and baiting. We cannot ask that much of a citizen. For some folks, turning off the fight mode probably takes longer than others. A neighbor said that they have known the shooter for a long time and he had a reputation for taking up for kids being bullied, etc. That kind of personality trait, probably gets more intensely offended and drawn to action than many others.

Prey turned predator, predator turned prey

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

rep'd

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Tennessee Vs Garner put an end to that. How's that been working out for us?
    I'm just reminded of how old I am and how much society has changed over the years. That being said, I believe that most progressive law enforcement agencies have had written orders to not shoot at fleeing vehicles and fleeing felons for many decades, even when it was legal.

kmoffett71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2015
    Plainfield
    I agree with you. I can Imagine his adrenaline was off of the charts, as I am sure mine would be too, but I do hope all of my training will help me keep somewhat of a cool head. I realize, as I sit here calmly, I CAN NOT chase anyone out of my home. If I do not defend inside I have to proceed with caution. It is a fine line, but chasing the predators is classic no no. I do get what you are saying though.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Ya -
    I guess people might frown on a Loss Prevention Sniper posted on the roof. :rolleyes:

Although it would be a great deterrent which is truly something that is lacking in this country.
    The contemporary fashionable response is to video the suspect and call 911 on one's smart phone. Is there an app for home invasion response? Sometimes it seems like the news media and police are too ready to brand defense of property as vigilantism.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    Maybe we ALL need body cams?

I read a book once about a society where everyone was watched all of the time. 1984 I think it was called. I don't want to live there. As noted above, if I was on this jury the guy's get a pass from me. If you don't break into peoples homes to steal you don't have to worry about angry homeowners shooting you. Seems pretty simple.

Top Bottom