• ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    *begin rant*

So today my dad shows me the new Buck Vantage he picked up at the NRA convention yesterday. And tells me its one of their newer assisted opening knives... I checked it out and remarked that it was not assisted, it's just a flipper... He told me that the "BUCK SALES REP" told him it was assisted opening (because of the flipper). If you open it by hand and it has a spring to take over, it's an automatic. I explained that was not right, a flipper is just a flipper, an assist requires you to start it by hand, and an automatic opens completely on its own with the touch of a switch or button.

All I got back was "Well I believe the BUCK SALES REP before you any day"

Way to go Buck, not like we have enough mis-information out there already.

Just has me irritated today.

*rant over*

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I thought those new vantage knives were flippers, but were also spring assisted. I have a knife that is considered assisted, but it has a flipper. You push the flipper, but then the spring takes over and opens the blade fully.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have several older bucks, but except for the classic Hunter model, I am not seeing some of my old favorites on the shelves any more. Check out the Kershaws. They have some sweet knives on the market these days.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The Buck Vantage models that I'm familiar with are flippers and non-assisted. There are knives out there with the extended tang (some people call any knife with an extended tang a flipper) that are spring assisted. I personally don't consider a spring assisted opening knife with the extended tang to be a true flipper.....some people may argue that. :twocents:

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    *begin rant*

So today my dad shows me the new Buck Vantage he picked up at the NRA convention yesterday. And tells me its one of their newer assisted opening knives... I checked it out and remarked that it was not assisted, it's just a flipper... He told me that the "BUCK SALES REP" told him it was assisted opening (because of the flipper). If you open it by hand and it has a spring to take over, it's an automatic. I explained that was not right, a flipper is just a flipper, an assist requires you to start it by hand, and an automatic opens completely on its own with the touch of a switch or button.

*rant over*

You have my sympathy. My dad always had a tendency to take most anyone else's opinion over mine, even people he knew to be complete morons, and generally didn't do much backpedaling even in situations where I could prove my position as objective fact rather than opinion. It really gets old.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    *begin rant*

*rant over*
    Sounds like you should fire off an email to the home office.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    *begin rant*

*rant over*

Which has you most irritated, that the Buck rep miss-informed your dad, or that your dad doesn't respect you?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sounds like your Dad is the issue here. My dad was the same way...He was "Never" wrong even in the light of overwhelming fact....Yes, he was a Dem.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    With all due respect to the OP's dad, I highly doubt that a Buck representative would be misinformed about their product line (most companies don't send their representatives out to interact with 70,000 + people without knowing their product inside and out). I'm betting that there was some confusion or misunderstand in the terminology used in the conversation between the Buck rep and the OP's dad. :twocents:

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    With all due respect to the OP's dad, I highly doubt that a Buck representative would be misinformed about their product line (most companies don't send their representatives out to interact with 70,000 + people without knowing their product inside and out). I'm betting that there was some confusion or misunderstand in the terminology used in the conversation between the Buck rep and the OP's dad. :twocents:

Or the OP's dad simply heard what he wanted to hear, which may or may not have been what was actually said.

My dad's like that. In fact, a lot of people I deal with on a daily basis are like that.

Deputy Dawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    The Buck salesman was probably one of those "rent for a day salesmen". Didn't know his rear-end from a hole in the ground.

Deputy Dawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    My dad was same way. He'd take the word off a begger man on the street, or the lady in red, before he'd take the word of his sons. Kind of funny, since I do have a college education, which doesn't make me a genius by any means, but much more education than Dad. Still my thoughts were not worth a plugged nickel.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah. I agree OP. If one salesman misses a beat, I ditch the entire brand. You can never be too careful.

Just looked in my BOB and my other gear bag....Couple of bucks and a couple of Schrades. Not high end by any means but they will cut the living hell out of you if you use them wrong.....:)

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Just looked in my BOB and my other gear bag....Couple of bucks and a couple of Schrades. Not high end by any means but they will cut the living hell out of you if you use them wrong.....:)

Yeah. I bought a Buck from the knife lady a few years ago. It was my favorite hunting knife until somebody stole my backpack. The only one I currently own is the one that the NRA sent me for becoming a Patron Member last month. Seriously, I don't understand the mentality of ditching a brand because of one interaction with a low level employee--based on hearsay no less-- :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah. I bought a Buck from the knife lady a few years ago. It was my favorite hunting knife until somebody stole my backpack. The only one I currently own is the one that the NRA sent me for becoming a Patron Member last month. Seriously, I don't understand the mentality of ditching a brand because of one interaction with a low level employee--based on hearsay no less-- :dunno:

It comes off to me as poor interaction with dear old dad. Mis-placed anger.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If I like a product that I am holding in my hand, and the seller likes the price I am willing to pay for it, who cares what it is called? It is not like he bought it out of a catalog and they shipped a different product.

My new phone model is called "Midnight", it is medium blue not even dark blue, but I liked the performance enough to pay for it.
    Sounds like everyone who is really involved is happy with the deal.

Glad the old man treated himself to a new knife.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    If I like a product that I am holding in my hand, and the seller likes the price I am willing to pay for it, who cares what it is called? It is not like he bought it out of a catalog and they shipped a different product.

My new phone model is called "Midnight", it is medium blue not even dark blue, but I liked the performance enough to pay for it.
    Sounds like everyone who is really involved is happy with the deal.
    Glad the old man treated himself to a new knife.
    +1 as long as your dads happy with it thats all that really matters.... Reguardless.

Top Bottom