Looking to pick up a larger bolt-action rifle...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hey guys,

Call me a purist, but I've always enjoyed operating a bolt action rifle over a semi-automatic. It, to me, just feels more engaging and fun.

I currently have a Marlin .22 LR bolt action rifle and it's a lot of fun but I'm looking at getting something a little larger. I was looking at .223 rifles - I've shot 9mm, .40, .45, .22lr, and .223, 5.56, and 30-06.

No matter what caliber I pick up, I'm going to be getting the dies for my press and I already have a case trimmer so I'll be reloading my own. I'm not so concerned with ammo availability (nothing is readily available atm really) as much as the enjoyment I'll get out of the rifle.

Ultimately, I'd like to work on learning long-range accuracy. I do like to challenge myself but I'm not looking to put a person/animal down with it. I do want to go with something at is centerfire so I can reload it myself to keep the costs low in the long-run.

I'm open, at this point, to all suggestions, advice, and opinions. I'm in no hurry to purchase and I have a fairly healthy budget (let's just say, if I really want it, one way or another I'll make it happen).

Thanks guys!

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    What ranges do you intend to shoot? Also, what accuracy expectation do you have? Do you have a shooting style in mind or competition goals? What type of result do you want to achieve with a "hit"?

As you mentioned you would be planning shooting paper/steel, there a any number of options from the basic tried-and-true to the semi-absurd. Which fits you best is going to depend on answers to these types of questions.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm not picking on you or making fun, your title says bold-action. I'm assuming you mean bolt-action. The grammar police will be here shortly! That never turns out good!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Man, you really left it wide open Mike...

22-250, .270, .300 WM come to mind right off the bat. If you're reloading, I think you're looking for accuracy. Good for you! I like the .30-06 but it's not in fashion these days compared to some other cartridges.

Which one you choose is dependant on what distance you want reach out to.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I like to think of recoil=range. If you know what your max range will be, you can easily buy the right caliber.

If you are never going to go out past 500 meters, a .243 or any 6.5mm is a fantastic choice.

Next best option is 7mm-08-- good to maybe 1000m with the right bullets. (Heavy, high-BC loads)

Then the best is 7mm Rem Mag. Good to 1500+m with a something like a 180gr Berger.

After that, I'd jump up to .338 Lapua, good to 2000m+ with 300gr SMKs.

As you can tell, I have no use for any .30 cal rifle at all. They are either too much recoil to what a smaller caliber does better (shoot flatter, less recoil) or they are not enough to reach out past a mile because the bullets kind suck in those calibers.

For me, the sweet spot is 6mm (.243) to 7mm (.284). Those are the best bullets to use.

The cartridge you stick those bullets in is your call, but I really like the new 6.5 size: Creedmoor, 6.5x284, .260 Rem etc.

For normal ranges, it's REALLY tough to beat a 7mm-08. Load it with some 162gr A-maxes and it's a 1000 yard gun without awful recoil.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I wouldn't rule out 17 hmr as a next step. I hear people say it's too expense to plink with, but it's still cheaper to shoot than most reloads.

I know a guy who shoots 300 win mag out to 1600 yards, He says he thinks he can get more out of it. IMO the caliber is only going to take you so far, than it's up to you.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If your max range will be from 300-400 yards there's nothing wrong with the .223 Rem. You can even stretch it to 600 yards,But many people step up the caliber. since you're not going to be hunting with the rifle then I would be looking at a 6mm or 6.5mm cartridge. Recoil is all about bullet weight and muzzle velocity, and the 6mm-6.5mm IMO give the best ballistics for the amount of recoil.

The biggest I would go for a range gun - even out to 1000 yards - is a 7mm cartridge. Yes I have a .308, just like everyone else, but to be honest, it beats up my shoulder, and I like shooting rifles with less recoil more...

Which is why I started out recommending the .223. For minimal reloading costs, the .223 is where it's at - bullets are basically sold by weight, and .22 caliber bullets will be the lightest, and therefore the cheapest. With the caveat of the current political scenario.

The .22-250, .243 Winchester, and 6mm Remington would be the next step up, of those the 243 Win gets my vote although these cartridges are a bit hard on barrel steel. For some more ideas for 6mm catridges go to www.6mmBR.com. They talk about the PPC's, BR's and some wildcats that might interest you.

Next up would be the .260 Remington - this cartridge is really starting to gain a following. Similar cartridges would be the 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5x47, 6.5x55 Swedish. The 6.5mm have very good ballistics - even out to 1,000 yards. The 6.5-284 Norma is getting a lot of press, but it too is hard on barrels.

The biggest I would go is the 7mm, the 7mm-08 would be my first choice, but at 1,000 yards it would be the .284 Winchester, or maybe the 7mm WSM - if you want recoil. The 7mm-08 is going to have a bit less kick than a .308, but the .284 Win is going to about as much as a .308 or a .30-06. The 7mm WSM will kick - well just like a 7mm Rem Mag, but not as much as a .300 Win Mag.

The catridges I've mentioned, except for the 6.5x55 will fit in a short action - although many people use a long action for the 6.5-.284 Norma, the .284 Win, and the 7mm WSM so that they can seat long match bullets. A short action will be a bit stiffer and perhaps give better accuracy.

So of all that what would be my top three for your stated purpose?

.223 Rem, .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmore (basically indistinguishable ballistics and accuracy), and the 7mm-08.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ultimately my range will only be limited by the locations where I can find to shoot and what distances are available. Honestly, I enjoy pushing myself to the limit and seeing what I can do. I'll be giving all of the responses some thought and will update.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Smaller case = less powder= more rounds per pound.

You could look at 6mm and 7mm TCU's :)

Pops had a 6mm Norma BR built last year, I haven't shot it yet. My buddy pops PD's with a 6mm TCU and says it's pretty neat.

I'm not really a .223 fan.............just because...............but one cool old rig would be an old 700 Varmint Special in .222.
    I might have to snag one.........for my daughter ;)

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Larger caliber bolt gun

If you are looking for a nice caliber to shoot and reload for the .308 Winchester is pretty hard to beat. It is a straight forward round to reload for with a large selection of bullet weights from 100 grain plinkers to 220 grain heavy weights. Powder selection has lots of good choices. Brass is readily available and the round is capable of exceptional accuracy out to 1000 yards. (we're talking 1/2 MOA to 1000 yards fairly easily) Rifle brands and price ranges are wide open too. I would recommend a Savage in the 110/112 series for affordability and fine accuracy for a very reasonable cost. Of course lots of other great rifles from the Remington 700, Winchester 70 and the Ruger 77's. Recoil will not beat you up unless you go with the light weight pencil barrels. A 7 1/2 pound rifle with a 1 pound or so scope will be very manageable. Have fun with whatever you choose.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have to throw in a vote for .308

I see it as a good balance of power and range. Also it is a common round that can be found at LGS and Walmart. Good ballistics. Can't use it for deer hunting in Indiana currently, but in a SHTF situation I wouldn't be concerned about that. If I could only have one bolt rifle it would be in .308 for sure.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If you've got the money .338 lapua. Great accuracy at any distance even a mile. My buddy has one dialed in at 1500 yards right now and its loads of fun to shoot

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have an incredibly accurate .270 for a smoking deal in the classifieds right now. the scope doesnt come w/ it but am willing to work something out right now to help fund the rest of my cannon project (see my thread in long guns section)

I shot a 5 shot 5 inch group at 500 yards w/ this rifle and ammo combo. it can also be rebarreled to other caliblers or larger barrels very easily if you desire and i can help w/ that also. Vette (a and a optics) can vouch for the accuracy of this rifle since he was there when i did it (twice)

Here is the link

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tguns/234360-savage_270_american_classic.html

Dont let anyone fool you, you DONT NEED a thick heavy barrel to shoot long range, this rifle is plenty capable of it.... you need a thick heavy barrel for prolonged fire as this barrel will heat up faster but typically w/ LR shooting thats not a huge issue.

ill even toss in a few hundred pieces of once fired brass w/ the package.... this will get you set up minus reloading dies for a LOOONG time.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have an incredibly accurate .270 for a smoking deal in the classifieds right now. the scope doesnt come w/ it but am willing to work something out right now to help fund the rest of my cannon project (see my thread in long guns section)

I shot a 5 shot 5 inch group at 500 yards w/ this rifle and ammo combo. it can also be rebarreled to other caliblers or larger barrels very easily if you desire and i can help w/ that also. Vette (a and a optics) can vouch for the accuracy of this rifle since he was there when i did it (twice)

Here is the link

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tguns/234360-savage_270_american_classic.html

Dont let anyone fool you, you DONT NEED a thick heavy barrel to shoot long range, this rifle is plenty capable of it.... you need a thick heavy barrel for prolonged fire as this barrel will heat up faster but typically w/ LR shooting thats not a huge issue.

ill even toss in a few hundred pieces of once fired brass w/ the package.... this will get you set up minus reloading dies for a LOOONG time.

I saw nothing:D

No in all seriousness, that rifle did every bit of what nick claims, and if memory serves me correctly his statements are a little on the conservative side. I think it was 5 inches at 600 yards. Also correct me if im wrong but this was with factory remington ammo, not proper reloads?

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Is this larger enough?

tumblr_m055z1ZDSz1r9khx4o1_500.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I saw nothing:D

No in all seriousness, that rifle did every bit of what nick claims, and if memory serves me correctly his statements are a little on the conservative side. I think it was 5 inches at 600 yards. Also correct me if im wrong but this was with factory remington ammo, not proper reloads?

yes, that was w/ 130 grain remington corelockts..... the same ammo that comes w/ the gun.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    You aren't planning to hunt - you are looking for a bolt action range toy to kill paper and steel, and want to be economical in your choice.

That, to me, says a bolt action 223 with a 1:9 or faster twist barrel...not much gets more economical.

A Savage 12FV, for example, will push 75gr HPBT/77gr SMK to around 2850fps with the "ole standard" 24.0gr Varget while providing sub-MOA accuracy, and will shoot 75gr Hornady Steel Match to MOA or better. I used to have one and it was fairly easy to make hits on 8" steel at 650yd with the Steel Match ammo, and with 75gr HPBT handloads it was sub-half MOA @ 200yd.

If you want something "bigger" than a 22 centerfire, something of a 6mm flavor would be great. A 6mmBR slinging 105gr bullets will give you long-range ballistics better than a 308/175gr combo with substantially less recoil and very good accuracy.

If you're not opposed to wildcatting, a 223AI, 6x45 or 6mmTCU (6-223AI) are very efficient and will give you many shots per pound of powder, while again providing better ballistics than a 308/175gr combo and very low recoil.

While I absolutely love 6.5s (I have two 260 Remingtons) and would take a 6.5 Creedmoor over a 308 every day and twice on Sunday, bullet costs tend to make a ~15% jump once you go from 6mm to 6.5mm.

Cowboy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Whitley County
    .17 Remington Fireball.. Loads of fun to shoot and a really hard challenge to hit targets at long ranges.. Especally with changing winds.. Also it turns ground hogs into exploding targets which is always a plus..

Top Bottom