• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PurdueGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Delphi
    I was talking to a gun dealer across the state about a pocket pistol. He said he might be willing to trade a used Keltec or new beretta 21a straight up for a model 1894 Winchester .30-.30. I don't know how much the 30/30 is worth. I have only fired a box of ammo (like new) because it is just too expensive to shoot. is this a good deal?

I could really use your advice, you will not hurt my feelings if you think that the gun isn't worth much I am just trying to ball park it. I could always keep it. I hate parting with my guns. Actually I have only sold one, because I did not buy it and I hated it.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    I'd be willing to bet that the Winchester is much more valuable that either the Keltec or the Beretta. In addition, if you're bent on selling the Winchester (something I would never do), you'll get much better value if you simply sell it here on INGO that by trading it with a dealer. The dealer will never give you the true value on a trade or sale.

PurdueGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Delphi
    Thanks for the info. I could have made a large mistake. I just hate to have a gun that I don't shoot. but I m having a hard time selling it since winchest4er does not make the gun anymore. Thanks again.

PurdueGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Delphi
    Ah 30 wcf is the same as 30-30. marlin did not want to put winchester on thier guns. I still do not know why pre-64 means anything. Mine looks exactly the same. I bought it in the 90s

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    pre 64 = a build date before 1964.
    30 WCF = .30 Winchester Center Fire. This is the original designation for what you would refer to as a 30-30.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Value is going to be decided by condition, you said it was fired very little and indicated it looks very good, and also by exact model. For example the 94 AE's were made to be scoped and have angle eject and holes for the scope already drilled and tapped. A pre-crossbolt safety model will also add a bit to the value. Look around and see if you can find a nice used one in your area for sale and see what they are asking for it, then look at what they are asking for the handguns.

Personally I would sell the rifle here or on gunbroker and then buy the handgun you want...not the handgun the dealer wants to dump. You should be able to get a nice S&W 642 for what the rifle is worth.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The short answer for pre-64...

In 1964, Winchester changed manufacturing techniques. They increased the use of investment castings, stampings, and plastic parts and changed some rifle designs to make manufacturing easier.
    Some shooters think the resulting rifles are not as well made as those made prior to these changes. So any rifle made prior to 1964 is known, oddly enough, as a pre-64.

A lot of shooters forget that most commercially made rifles out there now use the same techniques. Ruger, for example, has always used investment casting for nearly all of their firearms. Cars are also made with a lot of cast parts too. So are most manufactured goods these days. Parts are cast in sand then only the parts that need it are machined. Some parts are made of finely ground steel and formed into rough parts under extreme pressure then are machined where other parts meet or to finished size. It really makes no difference when it's done properly.

PurdueGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Delphi
    I have noticed this on several guns

Is thier a particular reason this is important? I have noticed this on mutliple firearms such as 1894 winchester and the model 12 winchester shot gun. Is it just that the guns are manucatured differently? or that something changed arouns that time era that effected firearms?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    No it is just a change to the manufacturing process. Some consider it a change for the worse in 1964. Some consider it the next step in evolution... But pre-64's bring more money due to it regardless.

Top Bottom