• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Westfield
    Did my home work and found the pistol I want and even located a buyer. This is my first FTF gun purchase. Any tips or recommendations for the time of the purchase. Where to meet? What to check out? Is it appropriate to suggest firing the pistol first? Anything specific to look for with a Beretta 92 fs stainless steel US made prior to plastic controls. I know I should buy a Glock instead but maybe next time. Thanks

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I know I should buy a Glock instead but maybe next time.

No, you shouldn't. You should buy whatever pistol suits your needs and fits your hand and don't let anyone tell you different.

/heading off the Glock Wars in the early stages...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    No, you shouldn't. You should buy whatever pistol suits your needs and fits your hand and don't let anyone tell you different.

/heading off the Glock Wars in the early stages...

Good for you, Scutter! Besides, everyone knows he should buy an XD, not a Glock. ;) (Teasing, folks, like the man said, no wars here, k?)

Drd, I would suggest a public place for the meet, like a Denny's or the like. Go in, sit down, have a bite to eat together to chat. When it comes time to make the deal, do it outside so you don't freak the sheeple. Someone's post recently told me that using a check rather than cash is seen as tacky. I've never done the pay-by-check thing, so I didn't know, but I took it as a "live and learn" moment. I would suggest that you have someone else know where you're going and what time to expect to hear from you that all is well, or if possible, have them there with you. Hopefully, your seller is someone from here who you've checked out via the +1/-1 thing.

What to look for on your specific firearm? That's one someone else is going to have to offer to help with. Generally, I'd say to look and make sure all is there as promised and that it's all as described.

Finally, up to you and the seller to determine whether or not you want a bill of sale to protect yourselves and up to your seller to determine if he will sell to you with/without a LTCH being seen. That's not for me to say, but I mention it because some sellers will not without seeing the little pink paper.

Hopefully, this all helps. Good luck and

Blessings,
    Bill

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    36   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Myself when i sell something i prefer cash! And if i am shipping something i prfer Postal Money order!(maybe paypal soon)
    And As far as a FTF trans i pretty much agree with what bill of rights has told you!
    And buy what you like and fits your needs dont ever buckle to peer pressure!

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    I have done quite a few FTF deals (please note all of these FTF transactions are performed out of my personal collection and are not in any way affiliated with my business) from ammo to accessories and even firearms.

Here's my process:

1. Notify seller/buyer that I only do FTF transfers if they agree to:
      • Complete a Bill Of Sale
      • Fill out and sign a Liability Waiver (for firearms & ammunition only)
      • Show their valid (non-expired) Driver's License (If the deal is for a handgun or pistol ammunition)
    2. Contact seller/buyer and negotiate meeting location (this has always been a public parking lot like Burger King, Menards, Harbor Freight, etc and has always been in the mid afternoon with plenty of day light).
    3. Payment is to be cash only with exact change (saves me time and I don't have to worry about whether or not I have the right change for them)
    This process has worked well for me and I have yet to have anyone turn down a deal based upon my requirements, in fact, all of them have stated that they appreciate the process and look forward to using similar processes in their future transactions.

Hope this helps.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Show up with A. T. F. jacket and matching hat, driving a white van with blacked out windows... where dark shades...

:):

The below is very well written. I'd like to add, just be yourself. Everyone is more comfortable when you (me, us) are comfortable and are there in the right spirit to just meet n' greet and trade. Giving off another vibe spells 'screwin' to me. 99.9% of the guys on this forum are not out to screw one over on someone; so, enjoy the FTF, it's a great culture we have.

I have done quite a few FTF deals (please note all of these FTF transactions are performed out of my personal collection and are not in any way affiliated with my business) from ammo to accessories and even firearms.

Here's my process:

1. Notify seller/buyer that I only do FTF transfers if they agree to:
      • Complete a Bill Of Sale
      • Show their valid (non-expired) Driver's License (If the deal is for a handgun or pistol ammunition)
    2. Contact seller/buyer and negotiate meeting location (this has always been a public parking lot like Burger King, Menards, Harbor Freight, etc and has always been in the mid afternoon with plenty of day light).
    3. Payment is to be cash only with exact change (saves me time and I don't have to worry about whether or not I have the right change for them)
    This process has worked well for me and I have yet to have anyone turn down a deal based upon my requirements, in fact, all of them have stated that they appreciate the process and look forward to using similar processes in their future transactions.

Hope this helps.

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Not that it matters too much as FTF sales are completely legal in our state, but I like to set up meets in the parking lots of businesses that actually sells firearms/ammo.

Dick's, Walmart, Cabela's.

But even then, I try to stay in a far corner of the large lots, to keep spectators from gawking and making unwanted phone calls when they see you pull something out of your trunk.

I haven't had a FTF meeting with another member here that didn't go 100% smoothly.

drd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Westfield
    Thanks CCG. I just want to make sure I understand. The liability waver would be to protect the seller??? If not could you please explain? Any sites where there might be some standard wording?
    Again very helpful and thanks to all.

DRD

Notify seller/buyer that I only do FTF transfers if they agree to:

glock 27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    elkhart
    Iv`e done two ftf here in my short time on site, one came to my house (he lives in same town) which i have no problem with. The other we met at Cabelos it was close to where he lived and i got to shop for the holster for what i bought. :cool:

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Thanks CCG. I just want to make sure I understand. The liability waver would be to protect the seller??? If not could you please explain? Any sites where there might be some standard wording?
    Again very helpful and thanks to all.

DRD,

You're correct.

The Liability waiver needs to be completed by the buyer if I am the seller. This just protects me as the seller from any wrong doing that the firearm or ammunition may be involved in after the point of sale. A PDF example of this document can be found here.

As for the liability protection of the buyer, this is taken care of in my version of the Bill of Sale. A PDF example of this document can be found here.

Some may consider these items overkill, but in today's society you can never be too careful.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Bill of Sale and exact cash... any public location of your choosing should do :)
    This right here.

Monday night's FTF transactions were done in the front of a Gander Mountain.

First was smooth and inside a full-size truck.

Second was done with the trunk of a car open with a rifle sitting in a case. Then some girl comes over and asks the seller if he has a light for her smoke. Absoultely unbelievable.

Be aware of your surroundings!

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    As a seller, do you provide a copy of your original sales receipt from when you purchased the firearm?

BWframe,

I do not provide this as these firearms were either purchased prior to my being an FFL or have been acquired through FTF transactions directly into my personal collection and are not and have never been part of my business.

As an FFL I cannot trade or sell FTF any firearm that I have purchased using my license until after it's been in my stock for a minimum of 1 calendar year from the date of purchase. Even if I take it out of my inventory for personal use, and then decide to sell it, if it hasn't been 1 year from the date of purchase it must be sold though my business which means it cannot be done FTF but instead following regular business practices out of my shop using standard ATF (4473) documentation and an instant background check.

Thanks for the question,

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Newer Berettas already have a warning branded on the frame, that should save you from having to sign any type of waivers :D

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Top Bottom