• ...and so much more!
  • bkeesler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hey,
    This gun will mainly be for my girlfriend to use while I am not at the house. I carry a 9 now and that is there when I am home, however, I want something that she can shoot at home. I was looking at Beretta PX4 storms in .45. I fired one the other day and it had practically no recoil. The bad part is I had it misfeed on me three times and when I looked it up, it seems to be a common occurrence. She fired my Glock 23 (which I have since gotten rid of) and hated it. She's not a tiny girl, but still too much kickback. Any ideas?

bkeesler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Good point. I have a Beretta M9 now that she likes firing, but I wanted to get rid of it. I should probably just keep ahold of it if she's comfortable with it. It's a high capacity magazine and fits her nicely.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    In general... the heavier the pistol the lower the recoil. If its strictly for home defense, start your search with full sized pistols.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Hey,
    This gun will mainly be for my girlfriend to use while I am not at the house. I carry a 9 now and that is there when I am home, however, I want something that she can shoot at home. I was looking at Beretta PX4 storms in .45. I fired one the other day and it had practically no recoil. The bad part is I had it misfeed on me three times and when I looked it up, it seems to be a common occurrence. She fired my Glock 23 (which I have since gotten rid of) and hated it. She's not a tiny girl, but still too much kickback. Any ideas?

True Story: Recently took a female acquaintance to the range to try a variety of guns. From full size 1911, to a Ruger LCP. Several sized in between.
    She stated at the start she hated recoil. She picked the LCP. Go figure. And she's deadly with it.

Moral to this tale, let her shoot several for her to decide.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Good point. I have a Beretta M9 now that she likes firing, but I wanted to get rid of it. I should probably just keep ahold of it if she's comfortable with it. It's a high capacity magazine and fits her nicely.

Beretta M9 is a good choice. Hope she enjoys her new gun.

I have started keeping an M&P 9mm with night sights and Streamlight TLR-3 at the house for my wife. I like the idea of capacity and size in a home defense gun.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Took my oldest daughter to our local range ( Midwest Gun and Range in Elkhart ), and let her rent the pistol of her choice... Glock 21! She had absolutely no trouble with recoil, and was quite comfortable with the grip. After her first mag, with a GIANT grin, she informed me THAT is the gun she wants to carry when she turns 21 next year, and after the second mag she tried to get me to buy her one on the spot! Needless to say, she will be getting one for her birthday!

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    you know on a side note, there are some "low recoil" hollow points for sale out there. i have some and still see them for sale. i think some are hrdra-shoks (spelling?) and i think i have some low recoil remington stuff as well, just don't remember which kind, i think golden sabers. anyways, there are "low recoil" defensive rounds out there. just do a search, you will find them.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    If you don't mind something a little bit heavy the commander size RI 22TCM is the ticket.. 17 rounds and recoil like a 22LR.. Also will generally penetrate soft body armor. I have a couple and they are top notch.. My wife also really enjoys shooting it (other than the noise). :)

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    just a thought..... get a high-point in 9mm. heavy like a brick, accurate, and ugly as heck. but it does go bang every time. the only reason I know this is, my wife bought me one about 7 yrs. ago for Christmas. at the time it was the only "new" pistol I had ever had. I hate to get rid of it, only because its not worth much( like 170 or so new), plus my son and I really do like shooting it. I would not carry it everyday though. guess you could say its my safe queen.

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    A nice .357 loaded with .38 for her. She has a reliable firearm with stopping power while your gone and you have a .357 at no extra cost.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    just a thought..... get a high-point in 9mm. heavy like a brick, accurate, and ugly as heck. but it does go bang every time. the only reason I know this is, my wife bought me one about 7 yrs. ago for Christmas. at the time it was the only "new" pistol I had ever had. I hate to get rid of it, only because its not worth much( like 170 or so new), plus my son and I really do like shooting it. I would not carry it everyday though. guess you could say its my safe queen.

:n00b:

I sure hope no one takes this seriously. Hi-Points are for people who need a gun RIGHT NOW and can't possibly afford to spend more than they cost or who want a pistol they can toss in a lake when they're done with it. For only a little more you can get a quality used firearm that won't fall apart.

I would suggest a 410 G pump action. I let the wife shoot one and she liked it. Have to run a hot load but it would do the work.

How is this superior to the Beretta that she is already familiar with and likes?

OP, if she likes the Beretta then you're set, but if she's willing to try something new this guy is onto something:

If you are not set on a pistol, then look at an AR15 platform rifle. Easy to use and extremely low recoil

An AR in 5.56 makes a fantastic HD weapon.

Top Bottom