• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I was wondering about that as well with the hunting regs too. Prolly end up with a .44 but not sure. Rossi's any good? Don't want to break the bank either.

Rossi makes a pretty good lever gun. As already mentioned, the newer ones have a hideous safety but that is easily replaced. Mine is a 16" stainless .357 that had some action work done. I had a slight issue with with ejection because I wasn't working the action hard enough. Once I worked it harder, no problems at all.

I wouldn't have a problem buying another Rossi lever gun.

cdscds

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Marlin 39a is the way to go.. but its only a .22, if you are really wanting something bigger, I would go with the .44 mag. Good ballistics, and they do a great job taking out deer in the woods

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    You can't go wrong with the Marlins-they are very reliable.I would get a model 39 for your .22,you just can't beat them-try to get an older model-they can be picked up at most gun shows-as for the centerfire,I would opt for the .357 for its versatility of also shooting the .38 and the ammo is cheaper.

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county
    Apparently the take-over was in 2007/2008, according to this link.

<http://www.shootersforum.com/rifles-rifle-cartridges/43778-remington-acquires-marlin.html>.

However, I did not hear about quality programs until after I bought my weapon. I head the impression the take-over was more recent.

Thanks for the info on the possible problems with newer marlins. Was looking at getting 336.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    No winchesters? What a shame lol. I have a Winchester rancher in a 30-30 and I love it. It does kick a lot, but to me its a lot of fun to shoot. Ammo can be a little pricey as some have said, about .80 a shell, but to me its worth it because every time I go I only shoot about 10 rounds or so to save my shoulder. Very reliable and pretty accurate for just using iron sights. I would recommend it to anyone.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I had a Puma (Legacy Arms) M-92 in 45LC and had some issues with it. Shooting cowboy loads was fine and it was fairly accurate but it would blow powder back in your face. Shooting anything hotter than a cowboy load the side shell detent would boulge out of the frame and I would have to jimmy it back in. I sold it after shooting my 2nd box of shells. I bought the gun used so I can't really bash it too much just saying what happened to me.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You can't go wrong with the Marlins-they are very reliable.I would get a model 39 for your .22,you just can't beat them-try to get an older model-they can be picked up at most gun shows-as for the centerfire,I would opt for the .357 for its versatility of also shooting the .38 and the ammo is cheaper.

:+1::yesway:

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    I have a Winchester Buffalo Bill Commemorative (30-30, hex barrel, made in 1966) that is a great shooter, but as mentioned before, if you want a scope, it has to be side mounted. Action is a little stiff, but it's only had about 40 rounds put through it.

You can't beat a Henry when it comes to smooth action. I've got the 22LR, and have looked at some of the higher calibers, and there is just no comparison. Sure, the price is higher, but they're made in the US, and dead on accurate from the first shot. If you haven't noticed, I'm a fan.

Top Bottom