• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    :patriot:Looking for an AK build party in S. Indiana. Got a Romy kit and would like to get it put together. Would prefer South East Corner of state but am willing to travel. Any info or guideance in accomplishing gettin it done greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I *might* be able to put something together in the next few months. Im slowing amassing tools to do everything I need. The last thing I need is the rivet press for the front trunion, which is about a $180 investment. I should have it soon enough. Only thing I can't do, and dont know if I even want to do, is bend flats into receivers. For one, thats an issue I dont even want to tread on with other peoples receivers/firearms, two, Im not setup to heat treat, and three, I dont have a die anyway! ;)

Im not exactly south east either. ;)

What I can do now is 'correct' Saiga conversions, ie weld up holes, install new trigger guard, press gas block and FSB on, etc.

One warning, I am NOT an FFL or a gunsmith. I can assist you with your own rifle, but the rifle leaves with you, and does not stay with me.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I *might* be able to put something together in the next few months. Im slowing amassing tools to do everything I need. The last thing I need is the rivet press for the front trunion, which is about a $180 investment. I should have it soon enough. Only thing I can't do, and dont know if I even want to do, is bend flats into receivers. For one, thats an issue I dont even want to tread on with other peoples receivers/firearms, two, Im not setup to heat treat, and three, I dont have a die anyway! ;)

Im not exactly south west either. ;)

What I can do now is 'correct' Saiga conversions, ie weld up holes, install new trigger guard, press gas block and FSB on, etc.

One warning, I am NOT an FFL or a gunsmith. I can assist you with your own rifle, but the rifle leaves with you, and does not stay with me.
    Sounds like a drive to TH is in my future. I have 2 G-kits that I've been wanting to put together but I don't have the tools to do it. I was going to make a rivet tool out of a pair of bolt-cutters but never got around to it.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Sounds like a drive to TH is in my future. I have 2 G-kits that I've been wanting to put together but I don't have the tools to do it. I was going to make a rivet tool out of a pair of bolt-cutters but never got around to it.

I have a pair already done if you want to borrow them.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville

Im not exactly south west either. ;)

+1, the heat treating and extra tooling is why if I ever build an AK it will be off a NODAK or a Elk River receiver. I was a college student and poor flight instructor (still a flight instructor, slightly less poor) during the hay days of AK parts kits so I don't have any hanging out waiting to be built.

A Saiga conversion was the next AK on my list but then I got distracted by the cheap Bulgy AK74 Century parts gun that so far has done great for me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Wow! I guess I hit a nerve with this post. I am tool-less and wish to gain some expirience from those "in the know" on this first build. I need it all, from flat bending to barrel pin/barrel removal to riveting. Let's hope someone comes forward so we can all get our projects completed! I was thinking if we had maybe 8-10 people, each bringing one "tool", we could get these rifles done with one person only laying out a small outlay as opposed to one guy spending a "K" to buy all the tools. Let's see what we can get done!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Personal opinion here: On my first build, I would rather go with a known good receiver (ala NDS or Elk River) so you can concentrate on the basic mechanics of assembling a rifle. but thats just me! ;)

but heck, like Ive heard before........ blind kids with rocks in caves build AKs in pakistan....... how hard can it be?

mrmarky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Brazil Indiana
    Count me in , I have two romy kits , two flats,and access to borrow a reciever jig And I live in Clay county and and and I could possibly bring all tanks and chems to parkerize ,(but don't have the sand blaster needed to park) as my brother in law tried to give me ALL his park stuff , just to get it out of his garage. Keep me up dated some one ??

100 bullets

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    Georgia
    If there is a build party in Terre Haute send me a PM or post in link I have a flat, trigger group, rivet kit and romy "g" kit or underfolder kit or Yugo RPK kit and not sure how to do the build. Tell me what you guys are building so I bring the right stuff.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    :rockwoot:Great work so far! Can we designate someone to be a coordinator? I like how everyone interested is throwing in their lists of available tools and capabilities! Let's defitinely keep this going!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    :yesway:Hey, would anyone like to throw out a tentative date? How about Sept 2nd. Maybe get a gun put together for a Labor Day test fire session? To the person willing to "host" the build party, it really is up to you to set the schedule. Let's not let the momentum die!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    What happened? This thread just died an abrupt death! I threw a date out for consideration and didn't get one response for that date or even an alternate date. Come on people, let's make this happen! Some one wiling to host the build party shoot a date out for consideration. Please, I'm begging you!!!

Top Bottom