• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dodgehunter84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I'm looking for a new double action wheel gun. I'm wanting a .357 with a 5 or 6 inch barrel, the only one I've had a chance to look at is a Ruger GP100. I want to look at some others before I decide and would like some input from owners or past owners.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Personally, I would stick with a Smith or Ruger.

The Ruger GP100 or the "six" series guns (security-six, service-six, speed-six) would be a fine choice.

Also, you cant go wrong with any Smith K or L-frame. (13,19,65,66,586,686)

I have both a GP100 & S&W 686 and would strongly recommend either.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

The Ruger GP100 or the "six" series guns (security-six, service-six, speed-six) would be a fine choice.

You don't need anyone else. Pokersamurai says it all!:D

CAT 1000B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    To me, the Smith & Wesson 686 with a 4 inch barrel is the perfect all around handgun. It can be carried, will work for home defense, and will work great to hunt with.

Dodgehunter84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Thanks for all the input. I just need to find someone or dealer close to me that has a 686 to get the feel of it before I decide.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012

This pretty much says it all but, I would add the S&W N-frames to the list as well.(27, 28, and, 627)

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county

:+1: charter arms ain't bad ether.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I've had a GP100 with 4 inch bbl for almost 25 years now. You can't go wrong if that's what you choose.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I used to be a wheel-gun guy for most of my life..up until the relatively recent switch to auto-pistols. So I've tried/owned/shot a LOT of revolvers.

IMHO the GP100 is the finest and certainly the strongest .357 ever. If you plan to shoot Magnums then your choice should begin and end with Ruger. If you are gonna carry and shoot magnums then the Ruger SP101 is what you want.

The Smith & Wesson pre-lock & pre-carbon trigger/hammer era* 686 is certainly the most beautiful .357 this side of the vaunted Colt Python. It's a very nice gun and can stand up to nearly as many magnums as the GP100. It also has a slightly better out of the box trigger than a GP100. If you have small hands the Smith also has the advantage of a nearly limitless supply of different shaped and sized stocks available for it. It's quite amazing that the GP100 has so few stock designs when the grip stalk system would lend itself better for any stock imaginable. For some reason the grip makers (especially in rubber) have just never bothered innovating for the GP100 and small handed shooters. Sad really.

The K-Frame Smiths will NOT stand up well to a steady diet of Magnums....neither will the "improved" all steel J-Frames despite what the ads say. I can personally attest to that as my S&W 640 had an eroded forcing cone after less than 1,000 magnums (in a 6 year period) were fired through it.

Now if you only plan to shoot .38 Specials (+P or otherwise as the +P .38s are still rather mild) then virtually anything made by Ruger or Smith & Wesson will do nicely. You will get SLIGHTLY (and I do mean SLIGHT) better accuracy and velocity from .38s if you shoot them in a .38 rather than a .357. Having said that my favorite .38 Special ONLY guns would be:

Smith & Wesson pre-lock & pre-carbon trigger/hammer era* Model 64 round butt

Smith & Wesson pre-lock & pre-carbon trigger/hammer era* Model 640 .38

*For those new to guns & unaware S&W didn't always have that silly/pointless and UGLY lock hole in the side of the frame and long ago (80's to early 90s I believe) on the stainless guns they flash-chromed the trigger and hammer assembly instead of the case hardened carbon steel of today. It looked FANTASTIC. But alas those guns (ordered new)are no more and must be obtained on the used market.

EDIT:

Did S&W drop the lock on new models? I was just browsing their site and I'm not seeing the lock hole on several different revolvers?????? Can any Smith fans confirm?

Last edited:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    It took 15 posts for someone to mention the Colt Python!? Probably a bit more expensive than what you are looking to spend, but the Colt DA is a beautiful revolver. Beyond that, as much as I love my Rugers, their DA revolvers are a bit heavy and not as aesthetically pleasing to me as the smith&wessons. The trigger pull on a Smith is that much better too, as even a factory, unaltered trigger in a Smith feels like its been worked on compared to the knock offs, and even a Ruger DA revolver.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Did S&W drop the lock on new models? I was just browsing their site and I'm not seeing the lock hole on several different revolvers?????? Can any Smith fans confirm?

I had heard that Smith was going to phase the lock out.

See here (but I can't confirm that these aren't just rumors):
    Locks Will Be Phased Out Says S&W!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson#Internal_locking_mechanism

I haven't bought a S&W revolver since the locks came out. Refuse to do so.

I'm not holding my breath on this one. I'll believe it when I see it since it's been 3 years since S&W supposedly made the announcement and I'm still seeing locks.

They have had runs of some models with/without locks for some years (ex. 642).

Last edited:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I love my nickle L frame 4inch 586, strong enough for a steady diet of magnums, but the best trigger pull in the world. I also have my dad's Model 19, a little lighter but better suited to the occasional magnum load instead of all the time. S&W's are among the best, there is a reason they were the standard for so long.

My favorite carry gun is my 3 inch SP101. The little Ruger will handle the heaviest load I would put through my L frame. Did my own trigger job with light stoning (smoothing), spring kit and then packed it full of toothpaste for a bunch (1000+) dry fires. Rinsed out with hot soapy water, relubed and it feels great. Almost as good as my S&W's and a gunsmith friend of mine who did the trigger work on my L frame complimented my SP101's trigger. It is my EDC gun and I can hit what I aim at. Surprised my son by hitting clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012

A few of the J-frames are available without the lock. The 640 Pro Series, 340, and, I've seen a few new 642s and 442s without the lock as well.

Enthusiast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    I rolled the dice and bought a Taurus model 65. The trigger in double action mode was a bit rough at 1st but has worn in nicely after about 75 live rounds and a few hundred dry fires using snap caps. It ain't S&W quality in fit and finish but I'm happy with it and still have cash in my wallet.

Top Bottom