• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    S&W 686 (go with the 6 shot) or Ruger GP 100 with a 3 or 4" barrel. Both use the same speedloaders and are better suited to handle ton's of 357's. I have a 686 over 23 years old and it runs and runs and runs. several thousond 367 mag rounds through it and still going strong.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    S&W Mod 10 38 spec. Sits right there on the headboard loaded with Hornady Critical Defense rounds.

Love it!

picture.php

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    +1 to the Security Six. I picked up one with a 6 inch barrel for $325, Hogue monogrips, and I keep it loaded with some 38 spec rounds. I also have a S&W pre-model 31, in 32 long, but I agree with most of the above that a good used .357 by Smith or Ruger would be your best bet. Both are excellent weapons.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    Ruger Redhawk, in 45 Long Colt, 4.2" barrel with Hogue Monogrips. Makes big holes without excessive recoil and muzzle flash. Easier for others in the house to master over the typical .357. Just my humble opinion, there are many good choices. :twocents:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I love my S&W model 60-10 in .357 mag. with Crimson Trace grips. I keep it loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. short barrel ammo. I keep a powerful compact flashlight close-by as well. OBTW mine has a 3" barrel.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If going cheap, Security Six.
    Got the funds then a K frame, got a bit more to spend? L frame.
    Heck even a Colt Trooper MK3 or King Cobra would be good..........if you could score it at a reasonable price (LOL).

If it's for you only, yeah maybe even a bigger frame gun (if you like it) like an N frame Smith or a Ruger Redhawk.

I'd go Smith though, if having others use the gun. IIRC aftermarket grips can be had in a wider range of sizes (compared to other gun models mentioned).

My kids like the smaller Pachmayrs on my .357. I prefer the Hogue standard.

Edit: Ruger makes an SP with adj sights and longer bbl now in .357, along the lines of a Smith M60 variant. Those two would be good too, smaller and lighter (only 5 shots)..........if wanting something other than a nightstand tank of a rig.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I love my S&W model 60-10 in .357 mag. with Crimson Trace grips. I keep it loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. short barrel ammo. I keep a powerful compact flashlight close-by as well.

I have got to agree with this gentleman (and not because we are both river rats). I have had three of these in it's various incarnations. They make for a great "kit gun", nightstand gun, camping gun, carry gun, etc....

We just bought a "snakey" place in Perry County. A buddy loaded me up som shot loads for it. In a pinch you could take a deer with it (not ideal weapon ofcourse), shoot a snake, defend yourself, plink, etc.... They dress up well due to the variety of grips available for the j frame smith. Depending on the load they can be a handful or mild. A buddy of mine Jeff runs the gun counter at Ace Hardware in Scottsburg. He can set up targets at 100 yards and after a few shots to get his range hit a pie plate with his.

One came in the shop two months after I opened up and I replaced the one I had gotten rid of (in a fit of stupidity) the year before with it. This one is staying with me. While not an all around gun it's a pretty special piece of hardware that any gun owner would be proud to have in their kit or bug out bag.

IMHO:twocents: lest my opinion be construed as "testy"

tboat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Kirklin
    A Ruger Security 6 would be hard to beat because you get a lot of gun for the money. I had a Liberty model in 1976. I traded it and have regretted it ever since. Recently, I picked up a NIB S6 for $400.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Inherited my dad's S&W Model 65 4" .357. Simple, rugged, reliable, accurate & can handle pretty much any ammo including Buffalo Bore.

I purchased a S&W Model 67 to spare thde M65 from a ton of use so that my kids can inherit their grandfather's wheelgun and like it quite a bit, too. Kinda wish I went M64 as i like the fixed iron sights better.

My last revolver is a S&W M637 snubbie. Awesome pocket gun doesn't describe this weapon well enough.

Sweet triggers on all three of these lovely firearms.

Top Bottom