• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    So I am on the hunt for a fun range rifle. I am looking for .22 caliber but that is about as far as I have thought. I am torn between something lever action, or a sporter type like the m&p 15-22, or an old reliable ruger. What do you guys have the most fun shooting? Any input would be great.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Pick one, and buy the others next?

:)

As fun as lever actions are to shoot - for range plinking I like to take many filled magazines ready to rock. For that reason alone, a semi auto variety would be my first purchase. If you do not intend to invest in many magazines, then it is a moot point.

Indyhandgunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    I'm in the same boat as you OP. Someone recommended a 597 to me. Anyone have any experience with these? How do they compare to a 10/22?

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I have a 15-22, 3 10/22s set up different ways, and lust after a Henry .22 lever gun. I've handled many Henry's but never shot one. The ones I handled seemed like sweet shooters. Nice, smooth action; I just haven't pulled the trigger (figuratively and literally). It really depends on how you like to shoot. Do you enjoy (1)target shooting for groups (sometimes prone), (2)transition shooting (changing targets during firing strings), or (3)just enjoy the simplicity of making pop cans jump around at a slow, steady pace?
    Not to say all of the rifles can't do each of these. Some just naturally seem to lend themselves to a certain type of shooting for fun and ease of use. If you had a natural inclination to pick one of my selections above, I suggest the:
    1. Ruger 10/22
    2. S&W M&P 15-22
    3. Henry Lever

Also, if you really enjoy customizing or continually changing/upgrading your rifle, the M&P and the Ruger have an endless supply of parts and furniture available.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    And if you want to buy something already tricked-out for (probably) a bit less than you'll end up spending on a 10/22 you can to this route:

Magnum Research .22LR Ambidextrous Thumbhole Stock Rifle - Style # MLR22AT, MRI Shop / Firearms

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I absolutely love mine paired with this scope:

Mueller APV 4.5-14×40AO (Black) - Mueller Optics

Any way you slice it, 22 rifles are a hell of a lot of fun and pay you back every time you buy ammo for them. I'll never be without one and I'm sure a 22LR pistol is soon to follow.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I agree on the 10-22! reasonable price. Good out of the box and a ton of after market stuff if you want to get crazy. I can't get my son to give me mine back :-( Guess I'll have to buy another :-)

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I currently have a 2 Marlin semi .22's, a GSG SD .22, AR lower with a .22 Chiappa upper . Of these I really enjoy shooting all of them with the AR being my walk around gun. (Walking farm looking for wood chucks!) BUT!!! I have recently purchased a Savage 93r17 its been about 3 weeks and I haven't touched my .22's. I really enjoy the distance and accuracy I am pulling from the Savage. So I guess I would ask for your intent on the range. .22 is still king of cheap trigger time and if that is your aim... the 10-22 or mp 15-22 would be great. If you think you maybe interested in a can in the future go for the 15-22.. My guess is you will end up with all 3 before its said and done. Guns seem to multiply and .22's are like rabbits. :twocents: Good Luck

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I've been looking at a new Marlin XT-22 with 7rd mag, and micro groove barrel. I just like the way they feel and it looks like it would be a good gun for Appleseed.

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    So far it looks like the 10/22 and 15-22 are the favorites of everyone. I am going to add that I am not a big fan of modifications. It seems that everytime I save up for a mod I end up finding a need for another gun. Also I'm just shooting cans, paper, and a spinner target.

rubberorr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Bang for the buck

I just picked up a Marlin 795 and love it. If you want an inexpensive plinker that is accurate and dependable right out of the box (literally), its hard to beat. Picked one up yesterday for $140, took it to the range and ran 300 rounds through it with no misfires or jams. Even came with a cheap scope that is sufficient for the range. Yes, the Ruger 1022 is the gold standard but you will constantly want to modify/upgrade when you get one. If you just want to have fun and not spend a ton, the Marlin cant be beat. One shortcoming is the availability of hi-cap mags. Looks like only one manufacturer is making them and they have average user ratings at best.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Lots of choices

I have or had lots of .22 rifles. My go to is the Ruger line. I have several 10/22's, 77/22's and a 96/22. But I also have some very old Mossbergs, Marlin 981T, Henry H001T, and a Rossi 62.
    I have had the Smith 15/22, Savage MK II, GSG, Colt M-4 and various others.
    The 10/22 is by far the most modifable .22 rifle on the market. They can be built however you like. They are also one of the easiest guns to work on if you like to tinker. Te only thing I do to any 10/22 that I own is place a bolt buffer in them, scope them or add Firesights.(Eyes aren't what they used to be.
    Savage has the best trigger and is probably the most accurate gun right out of the box.
    The Smith 15/22 is also good because you can put a standard AR trigger setup in the lower for setting up like your .223 AR if you have one.
    I got away from all the odd companies because mags are a little harder to find and if it breaks I can't repair myself.
    The Henry's are a sweet firearm and have very good Customer service for upgraded stocks and parts.

Sorry for being long winded but I own over 60 .22 handguns and rifles. I have tried a lot of brands and these are just my opinions.

Top Bottom