• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Springfield fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Seymour
    I am looking for an inexpensive handgun for my wife as a Christmas present. She likes .380 and 9mm. Just spent a ton on my kids so my budget is around $200. I have looked into Kel-tec and she hates the way High Points look.
    So am I overlooking any quality makers?

Springfield fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Seymour
    Right now I can only go as high as $250. I know a guy with a Taurus Slim for $200 but I have never fired one so not sure how it would feel to her. We have been shooting together for about 12 years so I know what she likes. I have heard bad things about Bersa but it's all hearsay.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Unless she has something specifically in mind, the best advice is to just give her the money (in form of giftcard, or specifying the purpose) and let HER chose. You dont have much to work with, and while you may find a great gun that you think she will like, she may not. Then where are you? Sure, you could sell it, but then you have even less to work with!

For what it is worth, a lot of people like the KelTec PF11, which is close in price. I personally like my Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro. It has a good feel to it for me, which also seems to be the general consensus. Some people whine about Taurus's quality, but I have not had any problems. They have lifetime warranties (as do the KelTecs) so its a non-issue, IMO. KelTec's customer service is good, which I have had experience with.

Springfield fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Seymour
    Unless she has something specifically in mind, the best advice is to just give her the money (in form of giftcard, or specifying the purpose) and let HER chose. You dont have much to work with, and while you may find a great gun that you think she will like, she may not. Then where are you? Sure, you could sell it, but then you have even less to work with!

For what it is worth, a lot of people like the KelTec PF11, which is close in price. I personally like my Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro. It has a good feel to it for me, which also seems to be the general consensus. Some people whine about Taurus's quality, but I have not had any problems. They have lifetime warranties (as do the KelTecs) so its a non-issue, IMO. KelTec's customer service is good, which I have had experience with.

She likes Kel-Tecs so that is probably the way I will go. Her big thing about those is color options. Not a problem anymore because I can Cerakote anything she gets and make it truly her own. But she is not one of these designer rules ladies! She is VERY good with firearms and only needs great reliability. She can handle the rest.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    I know a guy with a Taurus Slim for $200 but I have never fired one so not sure how it would feel to her.

Wow. That's an incredible deal. A lot of people really like those, lots of gun in a nice package. Never shot one, but it felt great in my hand.

I have heard bad things about Bersa but it's all hearsay.

Everything I have heard about Bersa's says that they are a great value...a reliable and solid gun for the money.

roundball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    nine mile wa.
    I got a P38 from S&G sales about a year ago for $275.00. It came with a holster that that carried an extra mag. Its a lot more compact than you would think.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Right now I can only go as high as $250. I know a guy with a Taurus Slim for $200 but I have never fired one so not sure how it would feel to her. We have been shooting together for about 12 years so I know what she likes. I have heard bad things about Bersa but it's all hearsay.

She likes Kel-Tecs so that is probably the way I will go. Her big thing about those is color options. Not a problem anymore because I can Cerakote anything she gets and make it truly her own. But she is not one of these designer rules ladies! She is VERY good with firearms and only needs great reliability. She can handle the rest.

Taurus Slim = [STRIKE]great reliability[/STRIKE]. When my brand new one arrived from the factory after the original broke, I took it straight to my favorite gun counter and traded it in. If it isn't reliable, then I'm not going to carry it.

So, a couple of questions/suggestions...

Since you've been shooting together for 12 years, I assume this isn't her first handgun? In that case, yeah, buy her whatever to add to her collection. If it's her first, just be prepared to trade it in if it doesn't work out. OR take her on a date and surprise her by showing up at a gun shop and letting her pick something out. Those are some of me and my husband's best nights out. :D

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    get the 9mm, better performance + cheaper ammo..
    d2L47x.jpg
    Keltec PF9 $253 @ buds. has a cute little accessory rail on the front.

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Dont know your locale but fairmount hardware has some steals on stuff just call and ask for a price it was actually lower than what was listed on gun genie when i was looking at a p11. NIB price out the door was 234

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    By the thread title I thought you were looking to swap, was going to ask for pictures and what kind of handgun you were interested in. :D

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    KelTec is a good choice, but for some the slide is hard to pull back and on the .38s (I think) they dont lock back either. I think the do on the .32 though. Might be the other way around. My girl had an issue where the mag release was on those though. You should be able to find a used Bersa .380 like others have mentioned for about $240-$280 depending on condition color and model. We personally have a Bersa and its one of the best gun Ive bought (for the money). I got one new from a local dealer I buy a lot from and got it new for $250 OTD.

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Kel Tec is certainly a good option. Is there any reason she is not going with a revolver? My wife has a variety of guns to select from and always ends up with the SW 442 in her purse. A bit more expensive, but also good knockdown power and easy to operate.

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    Carry gun or occasional plinker?

Will she be carrying the gun or occasional plinker, or home defense and sit in a night stand?

If she isn't a "gun gal" regular shooter (once a month or more, min) and she is going to carry I'd recommend a used Smith 442 or used Tauras light .38 (used should fit your budget). You can find these used sometimes with the box.

If she just wants a gun to plink, why not a .22 LR revolver?

Many of my male friends or women in my world aren't "gun people" and if they wanted a gun...I'd recommend a revolver due to their lack of experience and down time between them shooting and picking it up again.

Your wife maybe an expert and an auto might be best fit?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Bersa Thunder .380 runs ~$250. For ~$50 more the "CC" version is worth it if she plans to carry it. Mine is surprisingly accurate.

The Kel-Tec PF-9 or P-11. The PF-9's trigger is quite a bit lighter but doesn't have "second strike" capability. No matter to me, any round that doesn't fire is getting a "tap-rack-bang".

A used S&W SW9VE (Sigma).

If a .22LR is of interest, a Browning Buckmark Camper, S&W 22A, Ruger Mark III 22/45.

Top Bottom