• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I recently moved to the Indy area and would like to find a good indoor pistol range in this area. The only one I found so far is Popgun's shooting range on the East side of Indy. Any help would be appreciated.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The only other indoor range around the Indy area is in Kokomo at Bullseye. We won't talk about Don's.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    pistol range

Kokomo is a 40 minute drive for me. Not sure what you are saying about "Don's"? Are you refering to Popguns? I read that they have a $129 a year membership that allows a person to shoot weekdays till five which is what I am looking for and the price is right. Any experience with this range?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Kokomo is a 40 minute drive for me. Not sure what you are saying about "Don's"? Are you refering to Popguns? I read that they have a $129 a year membership that allows a person to shoot weekdays till five which is what I am looking for and the price is right. Any experience with this range?

Don's is a gun store and range on 38th street that has already been well-commented-on in this forum. Easy enough to do a search. Don't waste your money there.

Popguns is a nice range, although it's usually kind of busy, especially on weekends. They also rent guns there, which is nice. A membership is not required, but if you shoot a lot it will save you money. Membership holders always have lane priority over non-members, so if you're in line for the next available lane and a member comes in, you get bumped (although obviously not if you're already in a lane).

Oh, and welcome to Indy, BTW. I'm a Detroit native transplant myself. Traffic's better here. :)

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I looked up Don's on the internet. Seems like a big store and lots of lanes for shooting. Read about his "rock" he put in his front yard; glad he is not my neighbor. Think I will try Popguns considering I can shoot days being retired. $129 for a year is cheap.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    Hi Dick, I'm a member there and have been for several years. It's definately worth the money, even if you only shoot occasionally. Hope to see ya there. I know I'll be there about 4;00 on wednesday, conducting some business with another board member. see ya. jack

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Thanks for the info. I will check it out this week and I am itching to get back to busting some caps again. If I shoot twice a month it will more than pay to get the weekday membership. My ammo is getting old sitting in their boxes. Need a reason to start cleaning some guns again. I have a M1 Carbine I rebuilt; can it be shot at Popguns, or only 22 rifles?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a M1 Carbine I rebuilt; can it be shot at Popguns, or only 22 rifles?

From their website:
    "Please Note: You may shoot handgun calibers only (22LR to 44mag) at our range. IN a handgun or long gun. No rifle calibers, black powder or shotguns allowed."

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Not really. I don't think Don's is all that big and the range is a dump. I went in there to shoot an AK once because they have a rifle range and I felt under armed.

I looked up Don's on the internet. Seems like a big store and lots of lanes for shooting.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Not really. I don't think Don's is all that big and the range is a dump. I went in there to shoot an AK once because they have a rifle range and I felt under armed.

(+1) All true. His store (and range) is an old Burger Chef for cryin' out loud. And as for doing business with Don Davis??....... No thank you!!! Anybody who used to be a knee-capper for the mob and was/is suspected of several murders doesn't sit so well with me. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for the info. I will check it out this week and I am itching to get back to busting some caps again. If I shoot twice a month it will more than pay to get the weekday membership. My ammo is getting old sitting in their boxes. Need a reason to start cleaning some guns again. I have a M1 Carbine I rebuilt; can it be shot at Popguns, or only 22 rifles?

You'd probably have to call and get clarificatioin about the .30 Carbine rounds... If they'd let you shoot a .357mag or a .44mag through a lever action rifle, I cannot see how that'd be different than .30 Carbine.

It might help your case if you look up some ballistics numbers for average weight .357 and .44 projectiles out of rifles, too. Compare that with the same information on .30 Carbine.

-J-

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I've got a membership at Pop Guns and I shoot there 3 times a week (I work only about 6 min up the street so I hop down there on my lunch break).

Pro's: The people are friendly and helpful and the price is certainly right with that membership (and the membership discount for evenings and weekends doesn't suck either).

Cons: One or more lanes are usually down. Only handguns and rifles firing "handgun" ammunition (which, fortunately for my shooting pleasure, includes 22LR) are allowed.

Last edited:

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    Terrible Haute used to have an indoor range called the Shootin' Match. But it degenerated into a fat food joint several years ago; joining numerous other fat food joints on junk food row. :rolleyesedit:

A large percentage of the citizens of Terrible Haute actually don't need external body armor to protect them. They have more than enough body fat to effectively stop most handgun bullets. And they just don't care about anything more significant than, "When is that new White Castle supposed to come to Terre Haute?".

There is also another significant percentage of the local population that is composed of trendy yuppies who reside in exclusive gated communities and believe that "nice" people are immune from harm as long as they avoid meat, shop at the mall for the latest styles, and worship money.

Then, of course, there are those of us who are just normal, traditional Americans who do have more than a clue as to what is wrong with America. And we are saddened and bewildered by the fact we are surrounded by an increasing number of lost souls who just don't care about anything, and their opposites who have attempted to escape reality by entering a materialistic LaLa Land.

Lord help us... And I do mean this prayerfully.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Might I ask why an indoor range? I used to be a member at Pops, but I let my membership expire. I have heard some stuff that gave me the hibbiejibbies about what's in the air in indoor ranges--all from reputable sources. :runaway:

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    Might I ask why an indoor range? I used to be a member at Pops, but I let my membership expire. I have heard some stuff that gave me the hibbiejibbies about what's in the air in indoor ranges--all from reputable sources. :runaway:

There are effective air filtration units that remove particulates.

Indoor ranges are useful year around, regardless of weather conditions.

Urbanites who carry, as well as LEOs need to shoot frequently. Proficiency and safety go hand-in-hand. Indoor ranges located within urban areas make these essential practice sessions convenient.

The danger of lead contamination is being deliberately exaggerated by our nanny society. And rabid gun grabbers are using these "reputable sources" as ammunition to close both indoor and outdoor ranges throughout America.

For those who suffer from leadaphobia, there is range safe factory ammo available.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    The danger of lead contamination is being deliberately exaggerated by our nanny society. And rabid gun grabbers are using these "reputable sources" as ammunition to close both indoor and outdoor ranges throughout America.

Aye! And eye and hearing protection is for sissies. In the olde days, when we fired arquebuses, a man needed not eye and hearing protection. A man lower'd not his helm upon incoming fire either. What are these tactics of which I hear? For shame!

I should have probably been more specific. Those reputable sources are Gunsite and other prominent trainers. They actually took information from the shooting industry, not media hype.

From these very same instructors, I have also been warned about the potential risks from the majority of gun-cleaning chemicals. I now use latex gloves for cleaning. Just a few bucks for a box of 50 is cheap insurance.

YMMV.

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    I should have probably been more specific. Those reputable sources are Gunsite and other prominent trainers. They actually took information from the shooting industry, not media hype.

And gun grabbers everywhere thank these reputable sources for the dagger they can turn around and stab all of us in the back with... The Brady's are a sneaky bunch, you know. :grinchy:

Please don't feed the gun grabbers!

From these very same instructors, I have also been warned about the potential risks from the majority of gun-cleaning chemicals. I now use latex gloves for cleaning. Just a few bucks for a box of 50 is cheap insurance.
    YMMV.
    Did you know the label on Nitrosolvent has a warning for those afflicted with certain heart conditions that via skin absorbtion this cleaning solvent could possibly trigger an erratic heart beat?
    If I happened to be one of those so afflicted, I would definitely don a pair of rubber gloves before handling Nitrosolvent. Better yet, I would use another brand of bore solvent. But, thankfully, I'm not one of those so afflicted, so I just wash my hands when I'm done using it. A lot can be said for a common sense approach to life.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom