• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ok, if you were going to build a 1000 yard bolt action rifle where would you start? I dont want to buy 3 rifles to get there, I want to buy one rifle, that I can build/upgrade over time to eventually make it 1000 yard capable.

What rifle would you select and what caliber? OR is this even possible with out basically replacing every part anyway?

Clay

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    OR is this even possible with out basically replacing every part anyway?

Clay

Every part? No. If you start with a decent rifle (like a Remington 700, Savage, Sako, Tika or FN), the action would likely not need to be replaced. Once you start building it up though, just about everything else will be replaced, especially the stock, barrel and trigger.

Well maybe not the trigger.....

Never mind you could spend as much on optics as you do for some/most of the upgrades.

Also, how much do you want to spend for the basic rifle and scope?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    How much energy do you need to deliver?

well, Ill be honest, I dont know much about bullet energy and what it means. I know what engery is, its forms, etc etc, but when it comes to bullet energy I just haven't had much (if any) experience. I know I want more energy than required to put some holes in paper, probably enough energy to translate to sufficient knock down power, but I dont need a 50 BMG (at least I dont think I do).

What is your accuracy requirement?

Accuracy would be a man sized target, or maybe 1 MOA @ 100 yards / 10 MOA @ 1000 yards?

I guess I should say I would LOVE to have a rifle that could shoot 1000 yards, but Im not going to start building it today! I would like to put myself into a position to start looking for the base rifle, and would like to decide on a caliber so maybe in the next few months I can locate that.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    well, Ill be honest, I dont know much about bullet energy and what it means.

.... maybe 1 MOA @ 100 yards / 10 MOA @ 1000 yards?

Let me restate - do you need enough energy to kill something, or just knock holes in paper?

Do you want something to learn how to shoot with while you're assembling parts - or would you be content with a box of parts you're collecting until it can be put together?

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I have been wondering the same thing lately.....

Would a Browning A-bolt in 7mm Rem mag, stainless steel barrel, and a synthetic stock be a good starter?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ok, well, I have NO plans to go off and kill anything at this range, but what good would a rifle be if it couldnt do so? So yes, the ability to kill something would be nice!

Ideally, being able to shoot would be nice, but its not a requirement.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    well, Ill be honest, I dont know much about bullet energy and what it means. I know what engery is, its forms, etc etc, but when it comes to bullet energy I just haven't had much (if any) experience. I know I want more energy than required to put some holes in paper, probably enough energy to translate to sufficient knock down power, but I dont need a 50 BMG (at least I dont think I do).

Accuracy would be a man sized target, or maybe 1 MOA @ 100 yards / 10 MOA @ 1000 yards?

I guess I should say I would LOVE to have a rifle that could shoot 1000 yards, but Im not going to start building it today! I would like to put myself into a position to start looking for the base rifle, and would like to decide on a caliber so maybe in the next few months I can locate that.

10 moa at 1000 yards is 100 inches (actually a lilttle over) i think you ment 10 inches not 10 moa.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

10 moa at 1000 yards is 100 inches (actually a lilttle over) i think you ment 10 inches not 10 moa.

correct.... 1 moa is 1.047 inches at 100 yards.... round that off to 1 inch...

1 moa at 200 is 2 inches
    1 moa at 300 is 3 inches
    1 moa at 1000 yards is 10 inches, but is very tough.... the averave human is 18 inches shoulder to shoulder, so 2 moa is a pretty solid requirement at that distance.... once you start shooting that far wind and range estimation are WAY more important.... ammo selection (ie reloading) is also a huge input.... as are optics...

as for caliber... .308 .243 .260 300 WM 7mm WSSM are all some great rounds that wont beat the shoulder too much (minus the WM)
    PM me for my phone number i would love to talk to you about everything involved and its WAY to much to type but i love to talk about it.... or look up my old thread titled So you want to shoot long range?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if you do find the perfect rifle id be interested in hearing what you get because im in the same boat.

ive done countless hours of research into what would be a good begginning 1000 yd rifle and for the money ive decided to go with a savage 12 f class with super sniper optics. you can do alot better than super sniper optics but it will cost you. as far as caliber the savage comes in 6.5x284 and 6mm bbr. i cant decide between the 2. i like the 6.5 ballistics better but i like the 6mm barrel life better.

if i ever save enough money ill have one of the 2

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    thats a tuff choice between the two.... i would settle it based on BC's alone.... velocities between the two are not probably a whole lot differant although they probably have totally differant flight characteristics.... i believe bullet selection will be way bigger with the 6mm

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    It is hard to beat a fast twist 6 BR for a variety of reasons.

Projectile choices, barrel life, accuracy potential, low recoil, relatively inexpensive outstanding quality off the shelf brass, low powder charges, small rifle primers, etc.

The only downfall is velocity/energy on target.

If you're truly going to be shooting at 1000 enough to make a dedicated rifle for it, and don't mind screwing barrels on every 1500-2000 rounds, there are a bevy of appropriate chamberings.

Look at the winning equipment lists here and draw your own conclusions on what is winning (it isn't the BR - although a few placed and some variants of it are in the running).

Choose World Open Results/Standings

I guess it all comes down to how comfortable you are in reloading, and what your limit is - are you willing to put up with neck turning cases to meet your accuracy goal? How much recoil are you willing to deal with? How much money do you want to spend on the projectiles and brass?

Everything is a trade off - as much fun as the 6.5-284's are, I can't bring myself to ever own another just for barrel life alone.

If I did a long action rifle again, I think I'd do a 280 Ackley using the formed Nosler brass. Plenty of case capacity, and great projectile availability, although on the pricey side. I can't get excited about anything on the WSM case - if I'm going to be stuck using a long action give me a RUM case.

If this is something that may be shot to 1000 a couple of times a year, and the rest at reduced ranges - save yourself some aggravation and buy a 308.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Very well said.... esp the part about the 280 ackley improved..... actually came across an article that made me consider getting a barrel with that chambering and a set of go/no go guages for my deer gun when out of season.... if it does what my FN can do, then i might just sell the FN and keep the 280 for LR.... of course i would have to have a .308 barrel as well for SHTF

repped for your post as well.... everytime you post i either learn something or understand something just alittle bit better.... in fact i am going to start checking to see if you are online before i even try to post about this stuff....

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Without running the numbers, I'm guessing the 6.5/284 is the better performer at 1k.
    It is also the most prominent at the 1000 yard prone matches at Atterbury.

Top Bottom