• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dodgehunter84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I'm looking to get into some long range big hunting(1000 yards max) and am needing some input on caliber choices. My long range experience is limited to varmint calibers, I've been to Montana and shot prairie dogs with a 22-250 and .243 out to 1000 yards. I just need a little help pointing me in the right direction. I will mainly be hunting deer sized game and maybe an elk if I get a chance.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm looking to get into some long range big hunting(1000 yards max) and am needing some input on caliber choices. My long range experience is limited to varmint calibers, I've been to Montana and shot prairie dogs with a 22-250 and .243 out to 1000 yards. I just need a little help pointing me in the right direction. I will mainly be hunting deer sized game and maybe an elk if I get a chance.

answers will range anywhere from 7mm rem mag to 338 lapua. If whitetail what your talking about taking at 1000 id look at the 7mm. If elk is what your looking at taking at 1000 id more closer to the 338 lapua, 300 winny, etc.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I don't do long range shooting and can only offer second hand info, but co-worker has made a couple trips out west for deer, elk, etc. He shoots a 300 win mag. Very particular about his ammo too.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    1000 yds on elk , has it been done yes, is it wise to take these shots IDK.
    The reason i say this is if you hit a prarie dog in a poor spot with a 22/250 he's probably gonna die anyway.
    If you make a poor" read gut shot" on an elk, he's probably gonna run 20 miles and die a few days later.
    1000 yds is a heck of a long way, and unlike pdog hunting you wont have a bench or the bed of a truck as a stabil platform to shoot from.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    1000 yds on elk , has it been done yes, is it wise to take these shots IDK.
    The reason i say this is if you hit a prarie dog in a poor spot with a 22/250 he's probably gonna die anyway.
    If you make a poor" read gut shot" on an elk, he's probably gonna run 20 miles and die a few days later.
    1000 yds is a heck of a long way, and unlike pdog hunting you wont have a bench or the bed of a truck as a stabil platform to shoot from.

A bipod or pack can easily be as stable as a bench. The thing about long range hunting is a man absolulty has to know his limitations

Dodgehunter84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I should have worded that a little different, something long range for deer sized game but also could take an elk at a normal range. Be mainly for whitetails, mule deer, and pronghorn.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A bipod or pack can easily be as stable as a bench. The thing about long range hunting is a man absolulty has to know his limitations[/

If you want to try chasing an elk 20 miles in the mountains be my guest.

Thats kind of the point of knowing your limitations. Im not 100% sure the meaning of your comment, are you saying a bipod is not stable enough to make a accurate ethical shot at long range?

Back to the op. The thing your going to have to watch is to make sure your bullet will have the right construction, and knockdown at the range you intend to shoot. My vote would probably be the 300 winny for long range deer, and closer range elk. The 300 winny will still put a hurting on a elk at pretty long range

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I killed an elk in CO many years ago with a 30-06. It wasn't 1,000 yards, best guess was it 's 700 or a little less. After it hit, the old elk jumped and then ran a couple steps then dropped.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Thats kind of the point of knowing your limitations. Im not 100% sure the meaning of your comment, are you saying a bipod is not stable enough to make a accurate ethical shot at long range?

Back to the op. The thing your going to have to watch is to make sure your bullet will have the right construction, and knockdown at the range you intend to shoot. My vote would probably be the 300 winny for long range deer, and closer range elk. The 300 winny will still put a hurting on a elk at pretty long range

If you happen to go hunting in the mountains and get down in postion with say an 18 in bipod, you will see how limited your shots are.
    That is why when watching these hunting shows where the take big game at extreme ranges you usually see a second man carrying a five foot tripod for the hunter to shoot off of.
    Flat land pdog hunt is nothing like a mountain elk hunt, where good rests are hard to find.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you happen to go hunting in the mountains and get down in postion with say an 18 in bipod, you will see how limited your shots are.
    That is why when watching these hunting shows where the take big game at extreme ranges you usually see a second man carrying a five foot tripod for the hunter to shoot off of.
    Flat land pdog hunt is nothing like a mountain elk hunt, where good rests are hard to find.

I took my elk in rifle colorado in 2002 at 438 yds with a 300 wby. When im hunting I do not go out of my way looking for long range shots, and if possible I get closer to make a long range shot a short range shot. I used my bipod just fine, and so did my father. I really cant remember alot of places I could not have used a bipod.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Oh, I knew the range at that time, it was twenty something years ago, can't remember so I guess it was around 700 yards more or less.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Save your money for better glass, a good rangefinder and lots of ammunition because practice at long range is a must. You also absolutely must know your limitations and how to judge wind. I would also recommend a wind meter and a ballistic program for your Iphone or other small handheld device. If you want to shoot long range to hunt, those are must haves,...in addition to a rifle capable of sub MOA accuracy.

Anything starting at 7mm horsepower and above is capable for elk at that range in my opinion.

With regards to the bipod discussion, I have taken game out west and in Canada from a 9" bipod, a 27" bipod and more times than not shooting prone off of my backpack with a small rear bag I carry in my pack. I have laid the pack on the ground, on rocks and on stumps. It is a very stable shooting platform and I actually prefer it to any of my bipods. I have NEVER taken or had to take a standing shot using something for a rest like a tree or a tall shooting stick set-up like they do in Africa.

Dirty Steve

Cowboy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Whitley County
    300 Win Mag is a good caliber for multiple different types of game.. And handles the range very well.. I personally shoot a .308 with hand loads.. The problem with the .338 Lapua in civilian application is ya kinda want something left after you shoot unless its steel or paper of course..

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    You could make any of 10 dozen dumb choices, but long distance killing shakes out differences between good bullets and bad like nothing else. If you don't start there and think chambering last, your cart will be before your horse.

Thus everything in 0.308" and above is out of the running. Anything 0.224" and below, though there are a couple of 0.224" bullets that make a solid case. This leaves 0.243", 0.257", 0.264", and 0.284". 0.257" is waiting for bullet manufacturers to bring it into the current decade, so it is out as well. 0.264" suffers from a less successful coming together of hunting and target philosophies, so I'd kick it out as well.

Leaving 0.243" and 0.284", both of which can handle the duties with aplomb. If you are starting with a blank slate and want one rifle to do it all, something chambered 7 WSM works. If starting with a long action, 280AI is the right move. Starting with a short action and a 0.473" bolt face, 243AI or 6-284.

The above all allow adequate COAL latitude for loading long, high BC bullets in the box mags of their respective action lengths. All have excellent brass available. None are boomers, allowing for lots of practice in a light rifle without needless hammering on your body parts.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I generally agree with the previous posts - 300 Winny is a good starting point. Did anyone mention the 7mmRUM, or 300 Ultra or saum?
    A legitimate thousand yd shot on its own is a feat, let alone a 1000 elk kill. I might sound like the old guy in the room...but... take a closer shot! I don't have much room to talk, I took an 800 yd shot on a yote in Idaho and didn't come close, lol.
    Hitting paper at 1 MOA at that distance is great-- dropping an elk or moose at that range would be amazing, but for me would take a whole year building up to that shot.
    Wouldn't a more practical HUNTING shot be 600-700 yd range? That is still a dificult shot for 3/4 marksmen.
    Just my 2 bits.

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    OK, I know everyone's being polite. Bottom line is its "possible" to hit, even kill large game like an elk at 1000 yards...but why the hell would you want to? To say you did? Bragging rights at he pub? Hunting is not like hitting paper targets at 500 or even 1000 yards. At 1000 yards your target may even move slightly from the report of your rifle and spoil the shot, then what? If your lucky you just miss, or you wound the animal severely, agony for days and that's inhumane. Prairie dogs, coyote, sure if thats what your into, they are varmints and that's the sport, not big game.

I'm from out west, Nevada and I've seen a lot of game from a distance, never even considered such a lame, stupid assed idea of taking a shot where the odds and my skill level were not in my favor to drop him. If you want to improve a skill set and establish serious bragging rights and do something you can take pride in, work on your stalking skills and try getting within 2-300 yards in open/mixed country then take a shot. Honestly not trying to be an ass, just a bit of reality.

Top Bottom