• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    How exactly does an SBR have to be secured? Is a cable lock through the magwell and out the ejection port good enough? Do I HAVE to have a case with a lock? Does it have to be a hard case?

Just wondering cause I have some cable locks laying around, but the only case I have right now is HUGE!
    Any links to where this is written would be great.
    Thanks guys.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    As far as I understand, locked in a safe that only you have access to (even significant other or wife is a no go) unless you are around. But it may be technically 'secured', as in inoperable without your intervention (cable locks, etc). Others will chime in I'm sure.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I don't have a safe, I was under the impression that locked in a case that only you can access was okay so I was going to go that way, but I just wanted to ask since I have extra cable locks laying around.

MikeA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    If you are the only one that has access to your house and you lock your door then it would not be accessible to anyone else right?

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I always went in a safe only I knew the code to, or when I was out of town for a pro-longed period of time a safety deposit box with a copy of all the paperwork with it.

Some may say thats over-kill, but with anything in the federally regulated arsonal, is there such a thing as over-kill?

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    If you are the only one that has access to your house and you lock your door then it would not be accessible to anyone else right?
    My wife has access to the house. However only I have access to the key for the cable lock or lock on the case.
    Is that good enough?
    I always went in a safe only I knew the code to, or when I was out of town for a pro-longed period of time a safety deposit box with a copy of all the paperwork with it.

Some may say thats over-kill, but with anything in the federally regulated arsonal, is there such a thing as over-kill?
    A safe is ideal, but living in an apartment (I guess the super would have access to my apt, but not the case) while I finish school so that will have to wait.

MikeA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    My wife has access to the house. However only I have access to the key for the cable lock or lock on the case.
    Is that good enough?

A safe is ideal, but living in an apartment (I guess the super would have access to my apt, but not the case) while I finish school so that will have to wait.

Put a locking door knob on a closet and call it good.

MikeA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Or lock it in a gun case.

42295596-260x260-0-0_SKB+Skb+Single+Gun+Case.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You have to remove the possibility of access to the firearm. A cable lock would still allow access or transfer.

Even a locking case allows transfer though. Lock it in a case and a person can still take it. It's a real gray area of the law IMHO. Locking closet seems like the best "cheap" idea so far...

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    You could take the only sane approach and never have it off your person. And personally I feel safer having a SBR strapped to my inner thigh everywhere I go :)

Purple left to your disgression

MikeA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Even a locking case allows transfer though. Lock it in a case and a person can still take it. It's a real gray area of the law IMHO. Locking closet seems like the best "cheap" idea so far...

Theft is theft, doent matter if they cart off a 500lb safe or locked gun case.

darthfader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    NWI
    its a grey area. having a locked closet with deadbolts is the best solution. only you can have access to it. no one else can have access to that closet or else its a felony charge for you if something bad were to happen. a locked case can be taken away and is easy to get access to. if it were in a deadbolted closet you would have a better chance of fighting charges in a court of law in case anything were to happen to that firearm.

darthfader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    NWI
    i am going to get a suppressed sbr thru an nfa trust because i want more than one person to have access to that firearm and if anything happens to me it wont get destroyed as more than one person can claim ownership.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Can anyone point to an instance where a person was charged for the theft of an NFA item due to negligence? Putting a locking door knob on a room or closet seems like a valid attempt at protecting your property. Someone could take your property regardless of what steps you take.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    wouldnt cable locking a locked case to say a pipe in the house solve the transport issue with the case? Id say as long as the have to break something to move it you should be ok. You could always get a stack-on cabinet and screw it to the wall inside a closet as well.

Top Bottom