• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    I was wanting to know if and how a person might go and live down an accidental discharge. A good friend still gets ribbed pretty good for something stupid from 12 years ago and you would thnk this would ease up or he might have proved himself by now. He knows it was a tool move no one hurt but pride and drywall but nonetheless still paying the price.. Any suggestions ??

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Start by calling it a negligent discharge.
    Don't do it again.
    And for the friends who remind often and won't let it go, just point out their divorces or children that don't look like them...

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    A good friend huh? Well, first tell less people in the first place, but that's in the past now. Second grow a thick skin if they're your friends then they're just kidding. If it bothers you just say so. Don't forget when you a kid a and the neighborhood kids would tease the more they saw it bothered you the harder they pushed. When they see it doesn't bother you they will eventually move onto something else.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I had a ad once, no one home but scared the $hit out of me, it can and will happen, it is what you take from it that matters. Your friend needs to talk to someone about it so he can move on, if he is a good friend of your's you need to step up and talk to those in private that make fun of him. I have dirt on everyone I know so it wouldn't be to hard to shut them up if they refused to quit.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I had a nd once, no one home but scared the out of me, it can happen, but won't if you practice proper gun handling procedures, it is what you take from it that matters. Your friend needs to talk to someone about it so he can move on, if he is a good friend of your's you need to step up and talk to those in private that make fun of him. I have dirt on everyone I know so it wouldn't be to hard to shut them up if they refused to quit.

Edited for content.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    1. Don't do it again.
    2. Remind yourself every day how you just got lucky no one was killed and don't do it again.
    3. Stop reminding every one else of it and don't do it again.
    4. Follow Cooper's four simple rules and don't do it again and stay away from these numb nutz who follow the four rules except when they want to get out their guns and play with them like they are toys.
    5. Don't ever let me catch you pointing that frigging thing at me and don't do it again.
    6. Keep your booger hook off of that bang switch and don't do it again.
    7. Don't drink when you are handling guns and don't do it again.
    8. Don't handle guns when you have been drinking or are going to go drinking and don't do it again.
    9. Don't forget people get killed with unloaded guns. Don't just treat all guns AS IF THEY WERE LOADED, presume every gun you see is loaded and don't do it again.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    A good friend.... Hmmm... I've seen these kinds of questions before. Would this "good friend" of yours happen to wear your exact same shirt and shoe size?

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    4. Follow Cooper's four simple rules and don't do it again and stay away from these numb nutz who follow the four rules except when they want to get out their guns and play with them like they are toys.

I have seen some of these "customers" at gun shows and gun shops, actually touching unloaded guns, deciding if they should buy or not. What a bunch of "numb nutz," having a sales person get a gun out so they can play with it like a toy to make a purchasing decision. Don't they know the only time you pull the trigger on a gun is _after_ your purchase when you are at the range?

:rolleyes:

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I have seen some of these "customers" at gun shows and gun shops, actually touching unloaded guns, deciding if they should buy or not. What a bunch of "numb nutz," having a sales person get a gun out so they can play with it like a toy to make a purchasing decision. Don't they know the only time you pull the trigger on a gun is _after_ your purchase when you are at the range?

Judging from a few other posts he's made. If the gun doesn't go bang when you pull the trigger you are just playing with it and treating it like a toy.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Just keep it pointed at your own head while you do that and I don't have the slightest problem with it.

I never seem to notice any of those numb nuts pointing it that direction while they play with it though.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't they know the only time you pull the trigger on a gun is _after_ your purchase when you are at the range?

There are quite a few people who believe in dry firing as a training technique who would disagree with you. Of course, those people still need to be ever mindful of the four rules, and not all are.

One of the reasons I picked my current carry gun, the Glock 23, was that it's one of the popular guns, meaning you can buy just about any accessory for it, including yellow training barrels. Not that I let it make me sloppy, but if a bullet ever comes out of that yellow piece of plastic that I replace the barrel with when I dry fire, we will have to coin a new term: MD (miraculous discharge).

Also, I own a Smith and Wesson Sigma 9VE. Had I pulled the trigger on it in the store, I might have saved myself the considerable expense of buying that paperweight. Some triggers are an acquired taste at best (e.g., the Sigma), and I would rather find that out before being out many hundreds of dollars. I don't think I will ever buy a gun again without pulling the trigger on it at least once. I'll use a snap cap if you like (I have caps for all the calibers that I want to own) and I'll let the gun salesperson satisfy themselves that the gun is unloaded, just as it was when they handed it to me, but if they say no then there are other gun stores waiting to serve me.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    People makes mistakes dude its called life. People also make really stupid mistakes and then do something even dumber afterwards-they don't learn from it. If he is that upset about it its obvious he learned from it. He should just ignore his friends when they say stuff about it then they won't bother him about it anymore.

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    yes it was I

the "friend" was me, I have since taken many classes, practically tatooed the 10 rules/4 rules on my forehead and have become pretty anal about how things are stored/handled/cleaned and upgraded to new safe and other storage.... I mark this down for an excuse to always improve and reason to go to new classes and buy the new safety gear to accessorize the firearms that I purchase, at least thats what i tell the wife... sh** might happen but not again here with this gunowner. (I can already hear the D.I.'s from boot a long time ago about this).:horse:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Not that I let it make me sloppy, but if a bullet ever comes out of that yellow piece of plastic that I replace the barrel with when I dry fire, we will have to coin a new term: MD (miraculous discharge).

Also, I own a Smith and Wesson Sigma 9VE. Had I pulled the trigger on it in the store, I might have saved myself the considerable expense of buying that paperweight. Some triggers are an acquired taste at best (e.g., the Sigma), and I would rather find that out before being out many hundreds of dollars. I don't think I will ever buy a gun again without pulling the trigger on it at least once. I'll use a snap cap if you like (I have caps for all the calibers that I want to own) and I'll let the gun salesperson satisfy themselves that the gun is unloaded, just as it was when they handed it to me, but if they say no then there are other gun stores waiting to serve me.

If you pull the trigger on a gun and are not at a range, according to some, you are just "playing" with your gun. :D

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Just tell your friend you only did it so he would have something to tease you about since he must have never made mistakes in his life.

Top Bottom