• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    I have not done this and have no intentions! But as I was sorting the 500+ rounds of dirty brass I got from my dad when I got the reloading set-up I found 3 live rounds. More then likely I would have found it b4 it went in the tumbler but It got me thinking what would happen if I didnt?

And I guess it makes you aware of what you are doing.
    :ingo:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Its no biggie, IGW and I had an opportunity to buy a ton of mil-surp .308 for very cheap, only catch is that it was really dirty. So we through some of it in a tumbler to see if it would pull the crud off of the cases. It works, but trashed the media.

Long story short... no danger.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    Cool. That makes me feel better. I understand that all it does and roll around it the media but I just wasn't for sure what would happen.

I guess its just me being new at it!:D

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Cool. That makes me feel better. I understand that all it does and roll around it the media but I just wasn't for sure what would happen.

I guess its just me being new at it!:D

If it would make you feel better, just take a few primers and toss them in, if they go pop, result you don't want, if they don't... your G2G!

2ridgebacks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Floyds Knobs
    I read on another board that factory ammo is tumbled after loaded. There is much discussion on the subject and I can't recall anyone that does it, including myself, to see any adverse effects.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I know guys that load for a business and they tumble after they load to get all the lube off and make it look really pretty. I have have some surplus ammo that was horrid and we tumbled it and shot it. So I would go for it. If you are tumbling military brass and you find a loaded one it is less then a big deal since the military sends their brass through a popper usually before it is sold.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    So big name IPSC guys tumble their match ammo and polish it further after loading it to help make it feed reliably.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I ran some really dirty .22 rounds through my tumbler with no problems although I will admit that I was nervous and left the room when I first started.

Now THAT, i wouldn't do...

Sometimes it doesn't take much at all to set off a rimfire primer! (Just ask sjstill!)

-J-

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I tumble live rounds from time to time as do many handloaders. You don't tumble them for hours and hours though, just long enough to polish them up. The biggest danger from tumbling them isn't setting them off, it's changing the characteristics of the powder. This can cause variations in shooting.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    So big name IPSC guys tumble their match ammo and polish it further after loading it to help make it feed reliably.

What Coach said!

I am not a big name IPSC guy and I don't add another step to my reloading but occasionally a live round gets mixed in with my brass that I tumble and I've never had a problem.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Why? Ammo doesn't explode when it goes off, sending the bullet like shrapnel, like in the movies. The case ruptures, end of story. No focused energy.

True, but most of us have a cover on our tumblers held down by a threaded wing nut. I'm sure touching off a firecracker inside that could get exciting.

....but I agree that there is little chance of a live round exploding.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have tumbles a huge volume of live rounds... i wouldnt hesitate to do it at all.... just watch what solvents are in your media as you dont want to ruin the primers on your loaded rounds

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If we are all talking about vibratory cleaners, then no problems. Factory loaders (ATK/Federal, Remington) have the same practice. After you're done loading, 5 minutes or so in the the corn cob media takes the lube off and shines it right back up. I do it all the time with 40 S&W and 38 Super.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    good call specifying VIBRATORY.... i dont think i would want to tumble live rounds in a rotary tumbler... not so much afraid of setting one off as i would be about bullet setback or similar.

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I tumble live rounds from time to time as do many handloaders. You don't tumble them for hours and hours though, just long enough to polish them up. The biggest danger from tumbling them isn't setting them off, it's changing the characteristics of the powder. This can cause variations in shooting.

this is what I have herd all so.I herd that if you use extruded powder do not tumble you will break it down and change the way it burns.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    this is what I have herd all so.I herd that if you use extruded powder do not tumble you will break it down and change the way it burns.

People who have looked into this say this has to been done for multiple hours to seen any measurable changes, if you see any at all. The few minutes this is typically done will not change the burn characteristics.

Think about it for a minute - how many miles of rail, gravel roads, and conveyor belts does powder travel before it reaches your loaded ammo. A few minutes in vibratory cleaner has nothing on that.

Top Bottom