• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Three things that are involved in tactics of all types are light, movement, and angles. Effective tactics is knowing how to exploit all three to your advantage. Let's talk about light- application is home defense.

The majority of home invasions and burglaries occur during the hours of darkness. A basic principle is outside bright light / inside no light. Let me explain. Bright lights on the outside of your house accomplish three important things.

They illuminate the exterior of the home, warding off those who prefer to operate in shadows.

Help emergency personnel identify your residence by description or address.

Detract from the night vision of those entering the home. This hampers not only their ability to operate in a dark environment, but makes their eyes hungry for light. That is an asset when you utilize hand held or weapon mounted lights. For those that utilize dogs as part of their layered defense, this is in the dogs favor as well. They have good night vision. The only thing worse than getting attacked by a dog, is getting attacked by one you cannot see.

When you go to bed at night and "button up" the house for the night, the darker inside the better; especially on the floor that is most likely to be breached by an intruder.

A principle of tactical light use is to work from darkness into light whenever possible. Bad guys seldom carry flashlights, either because they are too stupid to be prepared, or smart enough to know how much attention a small light in a dark area can attract.

In your environment, you need to control the light. Both room lights and hand held or weapon mounted lights. You are in control. You know your floor plan and where the furniture is. They do not. They are entering into your dark cave.

If your layered defense has failed until this point and you are confronted by an intruder in the darkness, his eyes starved for light, will be quick to focus on your light. This give you two advantages.

One, after naturally focusing on the light, they will reflexively bring their hands up to protect their eyes. The darker the environment, the more severe the reaction. This will allow you to assess for weapons.

Provides you with a temporary "wall of light" to operate behind, whether it is to engage a threat or move to another area.

When possible, use light on a threat like you would cover them with the muzzle of a firearm, from cover. Do not be pulled from a good position closer to a threat unless for some reason it provides a better advantage.

Light is in every environment, either by it's presence or absence. Learn to use it as a tool.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    One other advantage to a dark house is that you know the location of walls, doors, and furniture, the bad guy doesn't. Use that to your advantage too.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    Funny you guys bought this up . I was just checking on two infrared illuminators for the out side of the house , the one had a 280 ft. range, 12v d.c. might come in handy with my night vision .

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I have done a lot of research on the subject and the most comprehensive study is done by Professor B.A.J. Clark in Australia, he reviewed 80+ studies pertaining to lighting and crime and found that lights alone have no lasting effect on crime
    A military axiom is that to be effective every obstacle must be covered by fire/observation.
    Any exterior light, left on continuously (dusk to dawn lights) will soon lose any deterrent effect.
    Best are motion activated lights. Not only do they act as a visual alarm to the homeowner, they introduce a level of uncertainty in the minds of the attacker.
    Dusk to dawn lighting is a waste of money.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    George,

What recommendations do you have for permanently installed lighting? In other words, if you were building a brand new house and could put any lighting anywhere in (or outside) the house, what choices would you make and why?

Thanks for all the thought provoking threads.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Hard to say without looking. A good mix of constant on and motion lights. Often people forget about outbuildings and garages.

Part of my job as an assistant team leader and breacher was to do the drive by and not the lighting around a target. The worst thing that can happen to a team is having a motion light pop on from behind you from a garage and outbuilding as you are moving from a point of cover to the house. Same for bad guys.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would be interested to know how common it is for criminals to cut power before entering a residence. My guess is that it's low but this would reinforce having a good flashlight.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I would be interested to know how common it is for criminals to cut power before entering a residence. My guess is that it's low but this would reinforce having a good flashlight.

Seldom I would think. However one of the worst times to be working as a cop is when it is storming. Lots of BS alarms to answer. A very good time to commit crimes.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I agree that motion lights are about the best choice. The last thing you want when trying to breach a home, is be backlit by any light source. That ruins the element of suprise. I also agree keep your home as dark as you possibly can inside. If the intruder does not know how your home is arranged then you have the advantage. If he is forced to use a flshlight, you now have the advantage. I also reccomend if you do clear, do not use a light unless you really need to. In a dark home that gives away your position.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I need more outside lighting at my house.

Inside, the light switch is my primary lighting tool. If I have a choice, the lights are going "on." 100% identification of a threat is far more important to me than any real or perceived or imagined advantages to using a flashlight in a darkened house. Lights on also eliminates any need for even slightly alterning your shooting or gun handling rubrics. I shoot better with two hands. If the lights are on, I don't need to hold my light if I need to shoot.

If that's not possible, I always have flashlights (yes, plural) with me that I can use to see what I need to see.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good post! Due to some recent break ins in our neighborhood we've re-assessed our exterior lighting. Previously it was to provide light for evening activities in the yard in the warmer months. We've re-aimed those lights to cover the entrances and windows. They're always on at night, so not as good as motion, but better than complete darkness.

I'd actually begun leaving a small night light on in our kitchen to help me see at night. I'm with Rhino on making sure I have positive target ID, especially with a toddler that has begun to roam the house at night. I'd rather not have to light her up with my weapon mounted light.

But these are some good things for us to consider as we finish the plans for our new home. Motion lights outside are already in the plan, and we'll have to give some thought to how we plan to have the inside lit (or unlit) at night.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    The problem is switching on the light and your eyes having to adjust. The best example is when you turn the bathroom light on in the middle of the night and try to do some point shooting and **** all over the toilet.

At our Quakertown PA location we have what we call the situation room. It is a one car garage bay with no windows. One of the things we do is have people walk into a dark room with a towel over their head. Once the door is closed behind them and they say they are ready the towel gets pulled off (by this time most people are breathing like a bulldog). We have found that if they encounter a bright white light people bring their reaction fan up to protect their eyes and the strong hand with the gun in it comes down. Those who are fired upon along with facing the white light respond to the sound of the gun fire. The rounds from the good guy usually go very low, below the belt.

- George

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    Good stuff, as always, but repped for this:

The only thing worse than getting attacked by a dog is getting attacked by one you cannot see.

I have a red light on my h/d shotgun. The red LED is bright enough to defeat the sight of anyone I would shine it on, and it illuminates without destroying my own dark-adjusted vision.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have a light on my HD shotgun, as well as a handheld in my nightstand. There doesn't seem to be any reason not to. I also keep a 22 with a light in an accessible place because out here most all bumps in the night are 4 legged varmints that need to be dispatched. I could put more thought into maybe, but the numbers don't bear out the assertion that most home invasions and burglaries occur at night. About 65% happen during the day.

The above lights don't really have any downsides though. Considering the clearance rates for crimes like these you are your own first and last line of defense.

Top Bottom