• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Extreme Outfitters had MSR stoves, but I haven't been to the new store yet. Gander on the South side had them, not sure about the North side store.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    something to think about might be to check out equipment designed for kayakers camping needs. the lighter the better in a boat and in a SHTF bag too.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I've had an MSR Whisperlite International for over 10 years, use white gas primarily, but have tried kerosene just to test it, never tried gasoline, heard it is smelly but convenient in some areas (Mexico). So simple to operate, my 7 year old can safely start it and get ramen or a sack of stew going in minutes, and the darn thing is durable. All I've ever had to do is change the o-rings and keep some fuel gel close for really cold weather.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've had an MSR Whisperlite International for over 10 years, use white gas primarily, but have tried kerosene just to test it, never tried gasoline, heard it is smelly but convenient in some areas (Mexico). So simple to operate, my 7 year old can safely start it and get ramen or a sack of stew going in minutes, and the darn thing is durable. All I've ever had to do is change the o-rings and keep some fuel gel close for really cold weather.
    I bought mine in 1994 and it's excellent. Nice and light, but a little hard to modulate, like simmering, but will boil water fast. Easy to work on too.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

I bought mine in 1994 and it's excellent. Nice and light, but a little hard to modulate, like simmering, but will boil water fast. Easy to work on too.

Due to an unfortunate, and purely accidental event my Whisperlite International has met an untimely demise. I have had it 10ish years. loved it that is why I want to replace it with a like unit. I have run everything though it to include for a fuel at one point in time or another. Gasoline to diesel to alcohol. Almost indestutible, just not completey soldier proof... As demenstrated by the Private who managed to kill mine... Sigh...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I hate to say it but Dick's has some MSR stoves. For such a tailgate party oriented store, kind of surpirses me. Gander does too, BassPro might.

For MSR hard to beat REI's web site or campmor.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Due to an unfortunate, and purely accidental event my Whisperlite International has met an untimely demise. I have had it 10ish years. loved it that is why I want to replace it with a like unit. I have run everything though it to include for a fuel at one point in time or another. Gasoline to diesel to alcohol. Almost indestutible, just not completey soldier proof... As demenstrated by the Private who managed to kill mine... Sigh...

If I ever killed mine, I think I would replace it with the same model. I know there are models that may simmer better than the Whisper, but most of my use is boiling a pot of water for soup stew, and it goes from my pack, wide open to boil, then back to my pack.

I have friends that have used the solid fuel canister stoves, but they don't boil water in Montana at 10 below like the Whisper does.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    There is a place in Bloomington. I think it is called J L Waters and then online you could look at REI. I would go with the multi-fuel versions of stoves. Most run off white gas, propane or butane but there are models that can run off gasoline, diesel or whatever you can get to burn.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The trick for me is that I will want a multi-fuel stove, not an isobutane. Isobutane is difficult at best to find most of the places that I go.

I did stop in at JL Waters here in Bloomington.

I am leaning towards an MSR Whisperlite International. Has anyone used one of the MSR XGR Internationals? How loud are they? Are the as dependable, and durable as the Whisperlites?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    MSR WhisperLite Shaker Jet Backpacking Stove

This just in, REI has this stove on sale for $60, pretty good deal.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    ... and when using sterno, how long does it take to boil a quart of water at 6000' when the temp is 15 F? Anyone?

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Rusted Moon Outfitters in Broad Ripple will treat you right. Good people that know the outdoors and use the gear they sell. Henry Miller owns the shop and he came from Galyans. God Rest their soul...we miss them greatly.

Top Bottom