• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FirearmPatriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I have a XDS with an extended magazine that I use as a home defense weapon. I would like to get a light for the rail. This way I do not have to hold a flash light in one hand and the pistol with the other. Do you all have any suggestions on a good light?

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    The surefire x300 is the only pistol mounted light suitable for self defense.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    And have you personally tried every single one of them available for purchase? :rolleyes:

I've personally broken some other popular models and have seen students break just about everything else. Buy a lesser light if you want. It's your life.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The point I was alluding to is that making absolute statements is foolish, and makes the utterer of such statements seem ignorant.

Not that you care MY opinion (this is just an Internet message board, after all) would've been "In all the classes I've attended, taught, or assisted, I cannot remember a Surefire x300 breaking".

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I'm open to everyone's opinion, I just don't see a substantive difference between what I said and what you just said other than what you just said wouldn't be the truth. Lights aren't perfect. They are electronic devices and they are prone to failure. Surefires just fail less and as a result, are all I would tell someone to buy if they NEED a light.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    your choices will be limited. The rail on the XDS is pretty short if I recall correctly. So you are going to be stuck with a subcompact light such as the TLR-3 and the TLR-4 from Streamlight.

As awesome as the x300 ultra is, I don't think its going to work on your gun.

Currently we are out of both the trl-3 and tlr-4.... They have been fairly poplar lately.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have run Insight M3s on my Glocks for the past "several" years (i.e. more than I can remember) and never had an issue in range work, training classes, matches, etc.

We were issued those (M3) on our department (non LED). Within the first year, the bezels on many (probably half of them, but I can't say for sure) of them were cracked or broken. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many bulbs I went through since firing with the light lit pretty much meant your bulb was going to go out.

We switched to the TLR-1s a couple years ago and I haven't seen a single issue with any of them (other than one of them taking a direct hit in the lens with a FX round). I have three of them mounted to different weapons and haven't had issue with any of the three.

I have no experience with the Surefire. I'm sure it's a nice light.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    The main issue we see with the TLR1s is electronics. The body is robust enough, but many of them have issues switching between modes under recoil and even turning off. Also, the toggle switches are more prone to failure than the surefire. If you can only mount a compact light, then the TLR3 is probably your best bet, but they are not particularly robust

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    The surefire x300 is the only pistol mounted light suitable for self defense.

Up until recently, I would have agreed with this. I bought one of these (X300 Ultra) for my duty weapon. I've had several "issues" with it and require it to be sent back. First, the light wouldn't attach to the weapon correctly (tried 5 different weapons and various rails). It had to be forced onto the weapon and to remove it, had to be pryed off, or would need a second person to assist. Also, the light switch was so stiff, I could hardly activate it... just didn't want to budge. To top it off, it was missing one of the adapter pieces. Contacted Surefire, they requested I send it in for inspection. Didn't even offer to pay the return postage. First time I've ever had an issue with one of their products but didn't care for the CS experience. I currently have the Streamlight TLR-1 HL on my duty weapon and LOVE it. Never had an issue with a TLR-1. I ran a standard TLR-1 on my G21 and never had an issue handling the .45's recoil.

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have broken 3 TLR3 lights on my off-duty EDC gun.

I have the same issued TLR1 on my duty gun that has been there since the beginning and has prolly 2k rounds downrange with the light attached with zero issues.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Up until recently, I would have agreed with this. I bought one of these (X300 Ultra) for my duty weapon. I've had several "issues" with it and require it to be sent back. First, the light wouldn't attach to the weapon correctly (tried 5 different weapons and various rails). It had to be forced onto the weapon and to remove it, had to be pryed off, or would need a second person to assist. Also, the light switch was so stiff, I could hardly activate it... just didn't want to budge. To top it off, it was missing one of the adapter pieces. Contacted Surefire, they requested I send it in for inspection. Didn't even offer to pay the return postage. First time I've ever had an issue with one of their products but didn't care for the CS experience. I currently have the Streamlight TLR-1 HL on my duty weapon and LOVE it. Never had an issue with a TLR-1. I ran a standard TLR-1 on my G21 and never had an issue handling the .45's recoil.

Not sure if you bought this from us or not. But an FYI for those who do buy lights from us. If this happens to you, pm me, call me, email me.. Etc. in this case we would have sent out a new light and covered the return shipping.

also, this case also sounds like a classic eBay purchase case. Where a Surefire is sold as new but has obvious problems, missing parts, was returned, is fake...etc.

Last edited:

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    Not sure if you bought this from us or not. But an FYI for those who do buy lights from us. If this happens to you, pm me, call me, email me.. Etc. in this case we would have sent out a new light and covered the return shipping.

also, this case also sounds like a classic eBay purchase case. Where a Surefire is sold as new but has obvious problems, missing parts, was returned, is fake...etc.

No, i didn't get this from from you or eBay. It was purchased new from LA Police Gear. However, now that I know about you, I will be sending you my business.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    No, i didn't get this from from you or eBay. It was purchased new from LA Police Gear. However, now that I know about you, I will be sending you my business.

SF will get it fixed for you. It's very odd for them to make a mistake, but it happens.
    They are cranking x300 ultras out as fast as they can right now to keep up with demand!

Top Bottom